1. 1. Whats the best Defragmentation Software

• Diskeeper
    • O&O
    • Perfect Disk
    • System Mechanic
    • Contig
    • Power Defragmenter

• 2 weeks later...

I made a test using the default windows defragmenter and OO defrag. and I can say that the default windows defragmenter is good, it just don't have an interface but it does his job well. To make sure of that i launch oo defrag after and the result was the same. OO defrag don't find any files fragmented after the windows defragmenter

In terms of simply defragging the filesystem, then the built-in Windows defragger does about as good of a job as the competetion, except that the built-in solution normally is slower and needs a bigger amount of free space available.

It is however, in the other aspects where the competetion has it's advantages, like with intelligent file-placement strategies and better free-space consolidation...

My personal favorites are UltimateDefrag and PerfectDisk, but for simply defragging the filesystem, then the built-in solution does it's job just fine...

• 2 weeks later...

I recently bought Diskeeper 2008 Home Edition.

I'm sick and tired of manually (or even scheduling) a defrag.

Diskeeper created the original Windows Defrag API for Windows which is used by every other defragmenter.

If they made the foundation for defragmentation of the Windows operating system and they've been doing it since Windows came to be, then they obviously know the best way to do it.

I installed a couple games the other night and analyzed my drive with the (now freeware) UltimateDefrag 1.72 and everything is placed sequentially and contiguously from the outer-to-inner tracks and not one file is fragmented.

The only thing that may make me switch to PerfectDisk is that Diskeeper Home Edition has a HDD GB limit of 750GB and my OS drive (C:) is 500GB.

When the days comes that I have a 750GB or 1TB drive, I'd need to upgrade to a more expensive version of Diskeeper or switch to another.

PerfectDisk doesn't have any limits in this regard and does perform automatic defragmentation / file placement so I'll see what happens.

I recently bought Diskeeper 2008 Home Edition.

I'm sick and tired of manually (or even scheduling) a defrag.

Diskeeper created the original Windows Defrag API for Windows which is used by every other defragmenter.

If they made the foundation for defragmentation of the Windows operating system and they've been doing it since Windows came to be, then they obviously know the best way to do it.

I installed a couple games the other night and analyzed my drive with the (now freeware) UltimateDefrag 1.72 and everything is placed sequentially and contiguously from the outer-to-inner tracks and not one file is fragmented.

The only thing that may make me switch to PerfectDisk is that Diskeeper Home Edition has a HDD GB limit of 750GB and my OS drive (C:) is 500GB.

When the days comes that I have a 750GB or 1TB drive, I'd need to upgrade to a more expensive version of Diskeeper or switch to another.

PerfectDisk doesn't have any limits in this regard and does perform automatic defragmentation / file placement so I'll see what happens.

Diskeeper 2008 Pro user here, and happy with it's performance. Once again, I have been able to defrag another of my partitions (~160 GB) which holds thousands of mp3s, and digicam photos with less than 5% free space. I really like the background defrag feature too....don't ever have to think about defragging after installing DK. All the drives are nicely defragmented when I check up on them. The other apps advertise 'automatic' defrag, but none do it so smoothly or transparently as DK.

My largest drives currently are 500 GB each, and they are partioned into 250GB volumes, so I haven't hit the 768 GB volume limit yet. In fact, I am going to be putting in a 1 TB Samsung next month, but I am going to partition that as 2x 500GB. I find anything larger than 500GB a bit risky regarding file-system related data loss (yes, if the drive itself fails, everything goes, but that's a different story), so I am okay for the moment. Let's see what happens in the future..

O&O defrag forever, try it.

I have (among 30+ others) and there's nothing it offers that you can't get out of at least one other defragmenter.

Edited by Jeremy

Hands down, best freeware defragmentation software is JKdefrag by Jeroen Kessels. website

I just happened across this software and absolutely love it. It's standalone and can work off your flash drive for all you techs out there hint hint. Programmed using native windows api. There is a forum and tons of other information and utility recommendations as well at the site. What a great resource in my opinion.

By the way, its command line yet others have written a GUI for it. There is more than one to choose from. Hope people find this useful. BTW, I am big proponent of Diskeeper as well. This utility is as good if not better and it is free! I will donate to support ongoing development.

• 1 month later...
@ Jonquil Bloom

Its really simple to crack it yourself. Just fold your Diskeeper 8 Professional CD and sure enough it will crack.

Back in the days when we worked with 5 1/4" floppys you'd have to deep freeze em for a day or two. And with a swift snap you could crack the disk as well.

BTW... a bit of side-kick info on Diskeeper... Supposedly the author is a member of the Church of Scientology. I believe Diskeeper (the one included with Windows) is not in the German version of Windows XP/2000(?) because the German government was afraid it may contain a backdoor. :unsure:

Perhaps some of our German readers can confirm this?

As I understand it the company is owned by CoS members and German law forbids government and local authorities from doing business with any group or organisation deemed to be extremist in nature or has connections to such. Both the British and German courts have offically declared the CoS to be a dangerous cult.

Personally I've tried Diskeeper, O&O and both versions of PerfectDisk and I much prefer PerfectDisk. Not so sure about PD2008's new interface. A touch of the Teletubbies there I think :)