1. 1. Whats the best Defragmentation Software

• Diskeeper
    • O&O
    • Perfect Disk
    • System Mechanic
    • Contig
    • Power Defragmenter

@Ludwig Von Cookie Koopa

I was expecting that you where using a NTFS filesystem... Defragging with Microsoft's defragging API's on a NTFS filesystem should be absolutely safe, unless the used app is seriously broken and dosen't make use of the API's propperly. However, something like a power failure can become a problem on FAT filesystems, though...

@All

Anyway, just wanted to say that UltimateDefrag hasn't got that reg-entry dependency anymore, which i posted about previously in this thread, and so now the single exe can run without the need for exporting a regfile :)

I'm personally still using UltimateDefrag, as it IMHO does a very good job at defragging and optimizing the filesystem and while still being wery slim and unbloated and without needing any extra background processes and last but not least, since the UI drive representation can't be beaten :) I use UltimateDefrags 'Recency' mode, and leaves the settings as per default, which then mimmicks the fileplacement scheme used by Perfectdisk, as i most preffer that kinda scheme, since it will make feuture defrags faster and since i don't really like to place any files on the most slower part of the harddrive(the inner tracks - called 'archive' in UltimateDefrag), as i'm only using about 10% of the drivespace on my two partitions.

• 2 weeks later...
@Ludwig Von Cookie Koopa

I was expecting that you where using a NTFS filesystem... Defragging with Microsoft's defragging API's on a NTFS filesystem should be absolutely safe, unless the used app is seriously broken and dosen't make use of the API's propperly. However, something like a power failure can become a problem on FAT filesystems, though...

@All

Anyway, just wanted to say that UltimateDefrag hasn't got that reg-entry dependency anymore, which i posted about previously in this thread, and so now the single exe can run without the need for exporting a regfile :)

I'm personally still using UltimateDefrag, as it IMHO does a very good job at defragging and optimizing the filesystem and while still being wery slim and unbloated and without needing any extra background processes and last but not least, since the UI drive representation can't be beaten :) I use UltimateDefrags 'Recency' mode, and leaves the settings as per default, which then mimmicks the fileplacement scheme used by Perfectdisk, as i most preffer that kinda scheme, since it will make feuture defrags faster and since i don't really like to place any files on the most slower part of the harddrive(the inner tracks - called 'archive' in UltimateDefrag), as i'm only using about 10% of the drivespace on my two partitions.

What about Ultimate Defrag Lite ?

• 3 weeks later...

I just didnt want to create a new topic for this question of mine but in Diskkeeper there was an option to optimize and increase the size of your MFT tables. Does PerfectDisk have a similar feature? I did notice a bit more zippiness after doing the Diskkeeper MFT size optimization thats why I ask. Maybe it could be a placebo effect but it would be good to know. Thanks!

AFAIK the OSs takes care of increasing the MFT when necessary. I found Diskeeper to be overbearing. It can't defrag with low disk space (gee, you only have 16.8 GB on your 500 GB disk so I can't defrag!) and I never found it to be exceptional. On the other hand, both Vopt and Perfect Disk can handle low space defragging and you can set the type very easitly. I use both of them. I like Vopt because it is exceptionally fast in its loose packing mode and and meticulous in its tight mode. It also has a varierty of other functions and has a very small footprint. Perfect Disk is slower, but can handle multiple defrags and is designed to run on a server (which my main machine is, though I use it as my main production machine, but maybe not much longer).

Any defragging will go faster if done outside the OS. I like to boot to a PE disk once in a while and run a defragger from there. there are no issues of files that can't be moved becaue ethey are in use, and because the OS isn't running, there are no issues with the tiny tijme delays caused by checking the security permission on each file moved. these are small for an individual file, for sure, but it adds up when there are thousands of files involved.

I just didnt want to create a new topic for this question of mine but in Diskkeeper there was an option to optimize and increase the size of your MFT tables. Does PerfectDisk have a similar feature? I did notice a bit more zippiness after doing the Diskkeeper MFT size optimization thats why I ask. Maybe it could be a placebo effect but it would be good to know. Thanks!

To increase the MFT size reservation, even if you consider that you need to which I do not then use the below registry file.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

;MasterFileTable Sizing - 1=Default 12.5% 2=Medium 25% 3=Larger 37.5% 4=Maximun 50%
;======================
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem]
"NtfsMftZoneReservation"=dword:00000002

Edited by MHz

When you say booting to a PE disk you mean sort of like the offline defragging right? I would love to be able to do that but for some reason my system gets a BSOD when I do it on Perfectdisk. I wonder if it has anything to do with my OS being nLited. Though I must say I only tried it onec.

Also no I am not going to registry hack my way for the MFT but thanks MHZ thats interesting that it can be done!

Edited by suryad

• 2 weeks later...

@pjadec: Yes, I've tried it out, but it is a moving target. Seems when they fix one bug they introduce another. I didn't like the real lack of control with it. It is a good idea, but I don't think it's ready for primetime yet.

@suryad: Yes, you are correct. It is similar, but not the same. Most programs like Diskeeper, Vopt, PerfectDisk, and O&O, etc. will happily schedule a bootime defrag which occurs before you are booted into the OS. this is offline and allows the software to access files which would otherwise be in use and therefore "locked". I prefer using a PE disk like miniPE or one built on a WinPE like Bart's PE disk, or even ERD Commander (Mark Russinovitch's baby). These boot into a Window Preinstalled-Environment and give access to a Windows XP installation. Doing a defrag from here gives greater access without the overhead burden of permissions, security checks, etc. You can build one yourself using your own legitimate copy of Windows. Check out http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/ for more info. You can then add a "portable version" of your favorite defragger and bob's your uncle! You can even make a portable version of any app you have using a program called Thinstall.

• 1 month later...