1. 1. Whats the best Defragmentation Software

• Diskeeper
    • O&O
    • Perfect Disk
    • System Mechanic
    • Contig
    • Power Defragmenter

hey jeremy

i could be doing this totally wrong but find that hard to believe but..

after i have started using ultimate defrag i love what it looks like and attempts to do but my games have been slower load times and nothing seems better. so just wanted to share and see if anyone had any comments.

do what i do. go into the options then in high performance check custom then select files and select your game directory's. that way all you game files get put to the outer area of the disk giving them better access times. also select a lot of the files that rarely get accessed to the archive that way there is more room near the outer areas of your drive for files that get accessed more.

my games have been slower load times

Are you placing most commonly used files on the inner tracks of the disk? Those make up the slowest area of the disk.

What I used to do was place my entire games directory under High Performance and select "Respect High Performance" so that they would be on the beginning (fastest) area of the disk regardless. I stopped doing that because if I added one map after doing so, it would be totally out-of-place.

Since I have my games on my D (storage) drive and everything except for VMware is static data (data that only gets accessed and not modified), I only keep the files defragmented and not placed in any particular order.

Here is UD's visual representation of my drives:

C:\ (Auto, Last Modified Date, 100% of data placed on outer tracks)

D:\ (Fragmented Files Only)

cool thanks

once i reformat or get this virus issue i got fixed i aint gonna worry about defrag programs much. thanks for your help hopefully one of these days soon ill reformat or something.

just got 500gb drive in today woot.

question.

currently i got 250, 200 and 160 full almost. the 160 isnt plugged in cuz it is ide and well stupid motherboard only has 1 ide slot and well id rather just keep cd rom drive up.

since i just got a 500 i can almost fit all my data onto that alone. should i use that as my C drive and not partition it

or how would you (whoever is reading this) setup your system with 3 sata hdds newest being fastest 16mb cache vs older 8mb cache for whatever thats worth. thanks for helpo

Personally, if I had 3 HDDs, I'd use the fastest and largest one for my OS and Program installations only. I'd use the second one for storage (like I do now) of games, music, movies, other static data that's only accessed and not modified. I'd use the third drive for downloads and dynamically (frequently modified) data.

This way if your OS is hosed and you have a bootable rescue disk from, for example, Acronis True Image, you only lose about 5 minutes of your day. Or you might need to reformat, but still, you're only losing a few hours and don't lose any of your files.

Personally, if I had 3 HDDs, I'd use the fastest and largest one for my OS and Program installations only. I'd use the second one for storage (like I do now) of games, music, movies, other static data that's only accessed and not modified. I'd use the third drive for downloads and dynamically (frequently modified) data.

This way if your OS is hosed and you have a bootable rescue disk from, for example, Acronis True Image, you only lose about 5 minutes of your day. Or you might need to reformat, but still, you're only losing a few hours and don't lose any of your files.

thanks for your advice. do you have aim? maybe we can chat more about how exactly i do this making backup and all etc etc.

also. if i got 500gb as my main drive and my current C drive only uses like 15gb but i install all games to another partition right now.

so do you install games to C drive like supposed to or another drive like second drive as you mentioned?

my aim name is my name here

I only use my C drive for Windows and programs I use; most of which are not portable or I haven't taken the time to make them so. Some other programs I either run them from my storage drive or flash drive.

I keep everything else on my D drive. But I'd like to have another drive to separate my static and dynamic data.

Anything that is just accessed and not modified I like on one drive separate from the data that's constantly being modified/written to.

This makes it easier to defragment the data as well, as when I do so, it is done quicker.

If you have a drive that contains only static data, keeping it defragmented is a one-time defrag.

If you have a drive that contains only dynamic data then defragging that is quicker as well because it won't have to move around both static and dynamic data to complete the process.

It's just time management and organization taken into consideration.

ok well let me tell ya how i have my system currently configured.

160gb ide drive not used cuz i only got 1 ide slot on mobo and the data on there is only data and clearly not to important mostly movies and stuff

Drive 0 250gb all data. never modified just added too or deleted.

Drive 1 3 partitions 200gb total

-c drive -all programs go here but sometimes msword or open office to another partition or drive, trusted programs download here

-games partition - only games and ripped dvds go here then the dvds get deleted

-bittorent partition - everything i download goes here for most part and thats its full purpse

so if im adding a 500gb drive to my C drive. my C drive only uses like 20gb max ever cuz i normally install games to another drive.

so maybe keep the 200 C drive perhaps and just make the 500gb a data drive? or partition it? or not really sure.

so im interested in the limited user account and perhaps downloading everything to one drive or partition. and that partition or drive wont have access to main drive right or not able to mess it up or something? i still dont fully understand that.

but perhaps if you could help me over AIm or email or something different then this thread. i dont mind but maybe you do or who knows maybe we teaching others something.

Folks, please wait for at least JKDefrag 3.25 to be released!

JKDefrag 3.24 appears to be broken, even with the default options, it appeared to have moved all files that it can to the end of the HDD! :realmad:

I didn't have that problem with an earlier version.

Also, it appears that with the sorting defrag methods, it could loop or take way longer than normal!

Edited by RJARRRPCGP

well, perfect disk for me has gone through the window.

thsi month came my time to re-new my support, so was only gonna cost a few quid to re-new it, BUT whats this? they now dont take debit cards or paypal, and as i dotn own a credit card i cant update it! lol

so will be changing by the looks of it.

I don't trust that program or the developers ability to even code it. Each release seems to be an "undo" or "workaround" for "something else" in a previous release just to get it stable.

Are you talking about JKDefrag? If you are, the problem seems to have started after 3.16, when analysis code had a big change.