916 members have voted

1. 1. Whats the best Defragmentation Software

• Diskeeper
    • O&O
    • Perfect Disk
    • System Mechanic
    • Contig
    • Power Defragmenter

id recommend JKDefrag its free not a resource hog and its automatic also includes a screensaver defrag

http://www.kessels.nl/JkDefrag/index.html

While it is freeware and open-source, it's nothing spectacular and the basic display view is less than can be desired. I'm not even positive on what sort of file placement (if any) it does after simply defragmenting files.

I've recently realized the importance and necessity of having file placement done after a defrag. I have 3 screenshots that prove this, which anyone can do themselves.

Disk Analyzed

http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/9590/ud1dw5.png

Disk Defragmented Completely

http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/3064/ud2ag1.png

File Placement (79% of least used data placed on inner tracks and 21% of most used data placed on outer tracks + Consolidation defrag)

http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/418/ud3lc7.png

As you can see, merely having the files defragmented only does half the job. At this point there is still much room for future fragmentation and access time is nowhere near being optimized. And by optimized, I mean having files related by either last access or modification date placed together at the beginning of the HDD inwards.

Having the most used data at the beginning of the disk and the rest of the files out of the way on the slower areas of the disk improves file access time (truthfully by milliseconds, which in reality leads to several seconds of application and game loading).

Then comes the Consolidation method which places files sequentially and thus contiguously (no gaps in between any two given files). This creates the largest area of free space after the most used files for new files to be written. The file may or may not be fragmented when written to this free space, but it won't be fragmented nearly as much as it would be had it been written to a severely fragmented (and non-contiguous) drive where there were many gaps to fill.

Diskeeper is automatic and does file placement, but not always necessarily consolidated. You can defrag with any defragmenter and use UltimateDefrag to view the disk display and see exactly where and how files are placed.

PerfectDisk isn't as automatic, and does do file placement in the same manner, thus future fragmentation is reduced.

UltimateDefrag offers the most flexibility and shows a true drive display and is portable (1 EXE and 2 XML files on my flash drive).

I hope this helps.

Does UltimateDefrag support Vista Home Premium 64bit ?

The poll was a bit short, wasn't it?

What about Windows Defrag?

Well, actually, I don't use that either.

I make a Ghost backup of my C: drive,

verify the backup, and then

I do a Ghost restore of the Image file I just made.

All files are re-written to the HD in the order they were

added to the Ghost Image. There is NO spaces between files

and of course NO fragmentation.

So in less than 15 minutes, I've got my Ghost backup made

and my HD perfectly defragmented. And I didn't have to load

my HD up with a worthless Defragmentation program.

This is the way MainFrame computers have been defragged for

more years than I can count......long before PC's needed it.

So if you add "Ghost" to the poll list, I'll vote for that.

Cheers Mates!

B)

so i installed ultimate defrag. i like it so far. not sure if its fast or slow or whatever but its clearly impressive with its features.

ive used diskeeper and perfectdisk in past but dont remmeber much about them.

my question is. with ultimatedefrag (UD) how often and what settings to you recommend i read the pdf help file and got some advice but wanted it from real people.

pictures of your settings would be great as well.

i did an Auto scan on all my drives before and then did consolidate on Cdrive and it took a while for sure only like 15mins but thats long for

so how often do i defrag and what setting is best for me. i play some games and no important files on C drive persay that i need to speedup id just like to keep used files on faster section of hdd if possible since that makes sense about being faster seek and read times and stuff compared to if they were stuck in the inside ring or so.

ill stop blabbing here but any help would be great. i enabled respect high performance on conslidate and folder/file name but not fully sure what that does.

recency settings seems default for some reason has

oldest data most outer track. (doesnt this not make sense shouldnt it be inner?)

anyways hope to see some feedback from UD users thansk.

i use to use either jkdefrag or perfectdisk. but i fell in love with UltimateDefrag. i don't see why it shouldn't work on x64 vista as with most defragers they are just manipulating the windows defrag api. best bet is see if it works. i dont see how it could cause a problem just trying it out and seeing how it works out. but you could also email them and see get the work from the horses mouth.

@nycste id advise that the first time using ultimatedefrag you first use the Consolidate Method then set auto to optimum and run the auto and from there you can just run fragmented files only or auto. if you dont make any major hard drive changes like install/uninstall software to add/delete a lot of files then fragmented files only should suffice.

Edited by slipk487

i use to use either jkdefrag or perfectdisk. but i fell in love with UltimateDefrag. i don't see why it shouldn't work on x64 vista as with most defragers they are just manipulating the windows defrag api. best bet is see if it works. i dont see how it could cause a problem just trying it out and seeing how it works out. but you could also email them and see get the work from the horses mouth.

@nycste id advise that the first time using ultimatedefrag you first use the Consolidate Method then set auto to optimum and run the auto and from there you can just run fragmented files only or auto. if you dont make any major hard drive changes like install/uninstall software to add/delete a lot of files then fragmented files only should suffice.

thanks for a quick response. any other details you could add or mention?

ill run consolidate on all drives. and then just do auto for now on optimum not sure what that is but ill look right now.

i do update uninstall reinstall small programs often trying new stuff out ya know. always looking for free or opensource programs which get updated a lot and are easy to use

is it also a good idea or not a good idea to run 1-4 runs of ultradefrag at once since it takes up so little resources it wouldnt bottle your computer up but it might be really ill advised to run it on all harddrives at once right?

since you have the option too unlike built in windows xp defrag can only do one thing at a time

i also just realised ive been using an older version 1.54 and just found the new one 1.64 i think

edit. just wanted to mention its taking over 3 hours so far maybe more to do a consolidate on my data drive of 200+gbs. its still only at 28 percent its using like 5mb total of ram it says and like no CPU. WTF why cant it use 100cpu and finish the job already :P

Edited by nycste

Cheers Mates!

B)

If I had $1 for everytime you copied and pasted this over the past few years, I'd own Microsoft.

And how often do you restore with your Ghost image? Overnight? Once a week? In any case, you're forcing more activity upon your drive by constantly re-writting (overwriting) the data than defragmenting would ever do. But hey, someone showed me a link stating that disk-access did not factor into a drive's overall lifespan. I don't know how valid that is or if it is true, though.

I've been using Diskeeper for a few years now, but recently switched to JkDefrag. The price which you pay for Diskeeper is quite high. Yes, it offers more functionality and has a nicer UI than JkDefrag, but the last one is freeware, fast and does the job perfectly. Also, the screensaver function is quite handy. Besides JkDefrag, I still have Contig in my system32-folder too.

Cheers Mates!

B)

If I had $1 for everytime you copied and pasted this over the past few years, I'd own Microsoft.

And how often do you restore with your Ghost image? Overnight? Once a week? In any case, you're forcing more activity upon your drive by constantly re-writting (overwriting) the data than defragmenting would ever do. But hey, someone showed me a link stating that disk-access did not factor into a drive's overall lifespan. I don't know how valid that is or if it is true, though.

People have also stated that Ghost restorations do not perform any form of defrag or anything near it. They've also proven it the numerous times he has pasted that false information.