1. 1. Whats the best Defragmentation Software

• Diskeeper
    • O&O
    • Perfect Disk
    • System Mechanic
    • Contig
    • Power Defragmenter

Martin H,

I did a check on this sw (version 1.54), and found that to run, all it really needs are these 2 files:

UDefrag.exe
UDBDef.exe

The second file can be found in your %windir%\System32 folder after installing UltimateDefrag.

Also, the quickest way to make a silent installer, is using a WinRAR SFX archive.

Check your PM box! (your personal messages, on this forum)

Where's the built-in defragger on the poll list?

I try not to get too paranoid about defragging. Windows one (yes I know it's diskeeper) is decent enough for my needs.

I've never experience performance increase with perfectdisk or diskeeper. I'm satisfied with the built-in.

Hi prathapml.

I just wanted to say many thank's for trying to help me out with this issue, i really appreciate it :) Also, many thank's for the PM, it's was very kind of you, my friend :) It was a very good guess to think that you would need the 'UDBDef.exe' file from 'system32', but i actually allready knew about that file, since i saw that it was made during install with a file/registry monitor i used to capture the registry entries and file changes with during the install(RegSnap) and the very first thing i tried was to place that file in the apps directory(and afterwards in 'system32'), but that wasen't the reason for the app wouldn't start, and infact, i don't know what's the use of that file at all, since defragging works perfectly without it ? I think that it's probably something about scheduling or something like that, but i personally always just manually defrag. Anyway, after almost have gone mad finding a solution to this problem, then i have finally solved it :) When i first captured the reg entries during the install, then there where some entries which looked very much like it was Windows itself which had made them and not the installer, so i filtered them out manually and only kept them that i could see was made by the app, but as the big id*** that i am, then i haden't even tried to merge the complete captured reg file with all the entries, and now after having thought of that and trying it out, then it finally worked :) So then after manually going through the keys and testing which one was the needed one, then i finally located the exact key needed for the main exe to run standalone. Remember that if anyone tests this yourself, then it maybe seems like there isn't an issue at all, and that i'm just fuc**** somthing up myself, but that is then just because that you yourself have run the installer previously before on your PC and even though uninstalling the app, then the uninstaller still leaves the needed reg key behind, so that the main exe can run fine without doing anything, but that will obviously not work on an unattended Windows CD, where i want to avoid the installer. Again, prathapml - I really appreciate you trying to help me out, mate :)

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AeDebug]
"FRAGIA"=dword:00000000

Sorry for being somewhat off-topic, and i promise that this is the last post about this...

I just wanted to give a little tip to others who also want's to make a 7z switchless installer of UltimateDefrag, and the tip is relevant no matter if using the installer or not to install the app. When making the 7z switchless installer, then you of course include the xml file which stores your configuration settings, so that when the app is installed, then all your changes are restored and so you don't need to waste time making those changes again. But then when you start UltimateDefrag v1.54 for the very first time, then it will still ask you to questions which aren't stored in the xml configuration settings file, so those dialogs will still come up, even though you include an xml file where you allready have answered those questions. Those two questions, or warnings as they actually are is a) if you want to turn Windows own boot optimize function off, which is enabled by default, and which will mess with UltimateDefrags own strategies and b] if you want to set UltimateDefrag as the default defragging app on your system. It is recommended to answer 'OK' to both of these warning/questions, and then the answer is stored in two registry keys, and not in the xml settings file.

To avoid those two dialogs upon first run of UltimateDefrag, then add a reg file into your 7z switchless installer/nLite addon, which includes the following :

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MyComputer\DefragPath]
@="C:\\Program Files\\UltimateDefrag\\UDEFRAG.EXE"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Dfrg\BootOptimizeFunction]
"Enable"="N"

Note : You need to change the path of the first reg key to match the correct path for where you have UltimateDefrag installed. The above used path is the one i myself use, but that's because i install the app myself with the 7z installer and don't use the official installer, and since i like this path better than the default one, but if you use the installer, then the correct path is :

C:\\Program Files\\DiskTrix\\UltimateDefrag\\UDEFRAG.EXE

Note : You also need to change the %programfiles% path if using a localized OS version.

Then if you do like me and bypass the installer, then you of course also need to include one extra reg key, which is the one that i posted in my previous post, so that the reg file then becomes :

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AeDebug]
"FRAGIA"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MyComputer\DefragPath]
@="C:\\Program Files\\UltimateDefrag\\UDEFRAG.EXE"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Dfrg\BootOptimizeFunction]
"Enable"="N"

Final note : As prathapml also kindly mentioned previously, then during install of UltimateDefrag then a file called "UDBDef.exe" is placed in '%windir%\system32\'. This file isn't needed for normal defragging jobs, but it's a good idea to include it anyway, since it's used for boot time defrags(just place it in the folder where the main exe is, if you aren't using the installer).

Again, sorry for being somewhat off-topic, and i will rest my case now, but i just thought that i would post this so that hopefully someone else would be able to benefit from it :)

CU, Martin.

Edited by Martin H

@prathapml

Thank you very much, my friend :) I really appreciate your kind words and help, mate :)

@all

I have just found out that if wanting to do boot time defragging with UltimateDefrag, then the file 'UDBDef.exe' explicitly needs to be placed in '%windir%\system32\', as else 'UDEFRAG.EXE' cannot locate it and boot time defragging will fail to start. I just wanted to make this correction, since i previously wrote that 'UDBDef.exe' could just be placed in the programs local folder.

Btw, i have now completely made up my mind about which defragging app in my oppenion is the very best at what it does and to me it's defenetely UltimateDefrag which takes the first place :thumbup I have now completely uninstalled PerfectDisk v8.0.64 Pro. from my system, since i have no use for anything else when having the encredibly versatile UltimateDefrag installed. Not to say that PerfectDisk isn't good, since it really is a very good app, no doubt about that, but i just think that UltimateDefrag is better. There are only two very minor things which i don't like about UltimateDefrag, but as it's not related to it's defragging strategies, then i can perfectly live with it anyways; It dosen't retain the last window state(maximized) and also not the 'Put directories close to MFT' setting of the 'Auto' mode. I am really glad that i read this thread, so that i would get to learn about this awesome piece of software, so i would just like to express my sincerest gratitude towards the nice person(s) who recommended it :) Thank's alot, mate(s) :thumbup

CU, Martin.

Edited by Martin H

As I've read elsewhere on the forums and from experience, Vopt does a really good job of compacting files to the beginning of a partition (there are three possible levels of packing to select from), making resizing the partition very fast - Partition Magic, for example, seems to rearrange files very inefficiently if there are any files towards the end of a partition, making resize operations take up to several hours, in the worst cases. While Diskeeper is pretty good, it tends not to rearrange large files very well, though its MFT resizing does come in handy.

JK Defrag, so small, so powerfull

ScanDefrag makes good use of JkDefrag if added into ScanDefrag's install directory and it will be detected. PageDefrg can also be added into ScanDefrag's directory and it will be detected. Then you can also add JkDefrag_Gui into the install directory for using it's Gui interface.

It is the combination of defrag tools I prefer to use. :)

• 4 weeks later...

I almost always use Diskeeper, i tried perfectdisk a few years ago and didnt really like how simple it was, so i went back to diskeeper. about a month ago a member at another board said i should try the new perfect disk instead of DK2007 ProPremier, i tried it for about a month and didnt really notice any difference. Im back to using diskeeper :D

• 2 weeks later...

Just picked up UltimateDefrag 1.64.

One problem I'm having is I can't get the boot time defragger part to work. My machine boots up without any kind of messages.

It's in my registry under the BootExecute key as it should be. Mine looks like this for drive C:

UDBDef C

UDBDef.exe is in my /system32 folder as it should be.

II also have Perfectdisk and that runs fine from BootExecute as does Chkdsk (autochk).

Is the entry incorrectly written, perhaps? Is it a problem with permissions?

I'm running Vista Ultimate x32.