916 members have voted

1. 1. Whats the best Defragmentation Software

• Diskeeper
    • O&O
    • Perfect Disk
    • System Mechanic
    • Contig
    • Power Defragmenter

theory: if we use software to create virtual ram disks, and run apps that like to page alot in that, then fragmentation would be minimal. what do you think?

Pagefile fragmentation would be minimized (since pages never actually go to disk), but not general file fragmentation. ;)

The limitation with such a setup would be the fact that it would require 4GB of RAM to be "perfect", something that you'd only expect to find in the most extremely high-end systems.

well i was thinking more along the lines of running only certain applications in it. For example: storing the Firefox/IE cache and the %TEMP% directories.

If you wanted to go beyond you could probably watch an app with Diskmon and decide whether to move it into the ramdisk.

Probably a better idea is to just create a 'work partition' seperate from the OS and Program Files that you let become fragmented and then either reformat or individually defrag.

Probably a better idea is to just create a 'work partition' seperate from the OS and Program Files that you let become fragmented and then either reformat or individually defrag.

That's generally what I suggest to my friends (and follow myself). I've got my system partition with all of my programs on there. The only time that I defrag that partition is when I've added or removed about a gig worth of programs (and then possibly every month or so if there hasn't been any change). I've also got my "scratch" partition, where I've set all my programs to dump their temp files (Photoshop, browser caches, etc etc) - oh... and for my UA XP Installs... :P.

Heck... I've even got "My Documents" set to be a separate partition... ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I've noticed an interesting result of using PerfectDisk at the tech shop lately. When I do an offline defrag (MetaData, system files, page file), it will actually "compact" the MFT zone so it takes up less overall disk space. I had a customer's MFT zone go from being spread 1/3 of the disk to about 1/10. After all having 0 file fragments, everything then just seems so... organized.

There are many aspects to any defrag.

"How long does it take",,,seems to always get itself into the conversation.

Then there's,,,,, "does it leave any unfragmented files, or empty spaces?"

So many questions and I've got just one answer. "Ghost".

I run "Ghost 2003" from a boot disk to completely take Windows out of the equation.

On my FAT-32 formatted HD, I can run a cleanup batch file from my boot disk to delete the windows

Pagefile, the old Restore points and all those junk files that windows likes to stash away in secret places.

I gain just about 2 gigs of space by doing the cleanup first before running Ghost.

On my SATA drive the backup only takes me four minutes. Then without even leaving the program,

I do a Restore from the file I just created on my D: partition. That takes about five minutes.

All my files are then written back to the HD in the same nice neat order they were put into the Ghost Image.

So within ten minutes I've created myself a nice backup of my C: drive and performed the best Defrag ever.

When I'm done, my drive looks like this:

mydrive.jpg

If anyone has a Defrag program that will do all that in less than ten minutes, I'll take a copy!

Cheers Mates,

Andromeda43

PS: I didn't even have to buy Ghost. It came as a bonus program on a SOHO motherboard CD. :thumbup

Other than GSM (who could write his own defrag utility using vbs script, if he wanted to show off) and myself, isn't anyone else going to stick up for the the trusty old Windows defragger?

:}

Oh well...might as well admit I switched to PerfectDisk, then.

Other than GSM (who could write his own defrag utility using vbs script, if he wanted to show off) and myself, isn't anyone else going to stick up for the the trusty old Windows defragger?

:}

Oh well...might as well admit I switched to PerfectDisk, then.

It's 5 years old and as Zxian reinforces my point of it not being efficient enough, even some tech sites recommend that you use a "third-party" defragger. It simply doesn't do the job. PD7. :thumbup

• 2 weeks later...

diskeeper is the biggest pile of trash ever coded.

bloated, slow and inefficient. hell, u gotta run diskeeper like 10 times if your harddrive is a bit full. it's the most retarded defrag ever made. one time my HD was 80% full (**** movies) and diskeeper couldn't defrag it even after 12 tries (i gave up after 12). furthermore, if you want diskeeper to optimize file placement it can't do it just by pressing the button and having it defrag.....you gotta schedule it to run

PerfectDisk did everything in one try.

i'm with nuhi and all the other intelligent people in this thread: PerfectDisk is best by far.

it's fast, small, doesn't use a lot of memory, and leaves your harddrive noticeably quicker.

ophiel, you have been warned!

To maintain a certain level of decency and openess to discussion, post like the one above will be deleted and the member will be warned. We respect everyone's opinion, however, flaming or trolling - not contributing to a conversation in a positive way - are not welcome.

Your post was not deleted so it can be used as an example of what *not* to do on a discussion.

If there is any further discussion about this, please contact me.

• 4 weeks later...