916 members have voted

1. 1. Whats the best Defragmentation Software

• Diskeeper
    • O&O
    • Perfect Disk
    • System Mechanic
    • Contig
    • Power Defragmenter

I've never got PerfectDisk to work (probably some service I've disabled), would like to since it seems to be the best one.

I didn't like Diskeeper for a few reasons. O&O is ok, PageDefrag is also ok. Will try DIRMS sometime. Haven't tried the other ones in the poll.

Right now I'm not using any Defrag-prog (I should). I want to manually run the defrag and not have it running in the background.

I've never got PerfectDisk to work (probably some service I've disabled), would like to since it seems to be the best one.

I didn't like Diskeeper for a few reasons. O&O is ok, PageDefrag is also ok. Will try DIRMS sometime. Haven't tried the other ones in the poll.

Right now I'm not using any Defrag-prog (I should). I want to manually run the defrag and not have it running in the background.

The only Service other than the 2 PD installs that you have to have running, I think is DCOM Server Process Launcher. PD is the best one. I just defragged 2 drives; 0 files left fragmented on both.

Before Defrag On Drive 2

After Defrag On Drive 2

The only Service other than the 2 PD installs that you have to have running, I think is DCOM Server Process Launcher.

I have those running. Since I have disabled a number of other services that is my first guess, but it may be something else.

Will try it again...

My Services

You can compare this with yours.

You have even fewer services running than I have, so it's probably something else. As I said, I will try it again...

Slightly off topic about services:

Have you been using that config for a long time without any problems, is it thoroughly tested?

You have kept some services disabled but not removed for dialup connectivity, am I right?

At the moment I am in the process of revising my services-config a little bit (removing even more, but not as much as you've done).

Slightly off topic about services:

Have you been using that config for a long time without any problems, is it thoroughly tested?

You have kept some services disabled but not removed for dialup connectivity, am I right?

At the moment I am in the process of revising my services-config a little bit (removing even more, but not as much as you've done).

Been using this config for many months, last time I formatted and installed everything, services were set to that. There are other Services there that nLite doesn't remove that I don't have any use for, so of course they are disabled. PerfectDisk functions fine. I keep very little in nLite so you probably did some manual removal which is causing PD not to work.

• 3 weeks later...

Just checked out your services list Jeremy....dang you must really not like services. I have a bunch running....but its cause I like IE to remember a few passwords, monitor my network and so on so forth. Still I am gonna try and disable a few more maybe....see what happens.

Just checked out your services list Jeremy....dang you must really not like services.

I use what I need for my purposes. If it isn't needed, bye bye. Simple as that. And I don't like unneeded Services. I don't like unneeded DLLs, or EXE's. They waste harddrive space. That is why I am thankful and grateful for each new release of nLite.

• 2 weeks later...

The best defrag? "copy & paste" or "cut & paste"

C:\Programs\ mount point for another partition.

C:\Multimedia\ mount point to another partition.

Move files to another partition, move the mount point. Reboot. *chuckle*

Or just use sysinternals tool to defrag single files.

Not so useful if you didn't set up enough partitions, or not using Dynamic Disks.

Definitely faster than any defrag utility I've seen. Which tend to take hours upon hours.

And the best Defrag for Win98/ME was Norton's Speed Disk, once you create a singular/contained install for it, so you don't have all the other crap from SystemWorks.

Edited by Crash&Burn