1. 1. Whats the best Defragmentation Software

• Diskeeper
    • O&O
    • Perfect Disk
    • System Mechanic
    • Contig
    • Power Defragmenter

I use WinME defrag.

I also use Diskeeper lite - it does a good job at fixing fragmentation, but unfortunately it won't make everything contiguous. Having contigous data is very important if you need to use a data recovery tool.

PerfectDisk v7.0, I liked the O&O v6.5 GUI better but did not like the hidden service it would run consuming memory, if I disable the service it fails to function, and O&O also had issues with the firewall. 

PerfectDisk has "smart defrag" which defrags accoring to how often certain clusters are accessed, whereas O&O has STEALTH, SPACE, COMPLETE/ Name, COMPLETE/Date, COMPLETE/Access.  My guess is COMPLETE/Acess would be equal to smart defrag.

What hidden service??

Good FREEware alternative: Dirms (or contig or defragNT or Power Defragmenter) and pagedefrag.

Do any of these tools defrag on shutdown? I don't know about anyone else but when I turn on my computer I want to use it not wait for it to defrag. Wouldn't it be better if it did it on shutdown?

Then you can just walk away and leave it.

Do any of these tools defrag on shutdown? I don't know about anyone else but when I turn on my computer I want to use it not wait for it to defrag. Wouldn't it be better if it did it on shutdown?

Then you can just walk away and leave it.

PerfectDisk defrags your MFT zone on restart. I guess it just has to happen that way for certain files to no longer by in use and therefore making defragmenting possible. It only take a few seconds and you're asked to reboot again. So take an extra 10 seconds of your life every week or so to do that. Don't be so picky.

I have been using Diskeeper Pro for years, and all my 3 computers use it. Current ver of Diskeeper Pro v9.0.515

More info: http://www.executive.com/diskeeper/diskeeper.asp

They also have a free evaluation. So try It out!

"Diskeeper Professional Edition

For every workstation on your network. Can defragment up to 4 logical drives of up to 512 GB each in size simultaneously."

There are many Programs with the same name, but only one is the true one.

PerfectDisk defrags your MFT zone on restart. I guess it just has to happen that way for certain files to no longer by in use and therefore making defragmenting possible. It only take a few seconds and you're asked to reboot again. So take an extra 10 seconds of your life every week or so to do that. Don't be so picky.

Ah ok, that makes sense. That' not too bad then. Being used to the standard Defrag tool that comes with XP I didn't know there were tools that could defrag the MFT.

Cool. Cheers :)

You all want to see just how much better PerfectDisk is than Diskkeeper?

Then read this PDF File.

Hhmmm....Interesting. I still like Diskeeper though. I use Diskeeper Pro v9.0.515. Diskeeper is still faster - hence it does not de-fragment as many files. But I have never had a problem with it. And I have big Hard Disks, 450GB. It only takes my computer on avg 12-20 min to defrag. Even after big data Backups, (30GB avg), Diskeeper is very fast and there is no problem in redundancy. I only have 22% free space.) Diskeeper does de-fragment the hard drive, but I think PerfectDisk buts the drive in Alb order, where as Diskeeper just de-frags the blocks of data, but does not re-rang the entire drive to a alb order. But I’m only assuming this of curse. :P

Do you, (People) in general prefer PerfectDisk over another Application? As if it is really that good, then I wouldn't mind switching over B)

This is the only Documentation I have seen/read about such a difference in the two. (Granted that the free space fragmentation is correct.)

:)

Diskeeper does de-fragment the hard drive, but I think PerfectDisk buts the drive in Alb order, where as Diskeeper just de-frags the blocks of data, but does not re-rang the entire drive to a alb order. But I’m only assuming this of curse. :P

Hey there,

What you assume is perfectly true. PerfectDisk manages the free space on your drive, while Diskeeper does not.

I was working on a computer last year that (when I scanned it with PerfectDisk) had a largest contiguous free space of 75 MB while the drive still had 2GB of 20 free.

With Diskeeper, all that would happen would be that the fragmented files would be put back together. With PerfectDisk, the files were put back together and put in order on the drive, leaving a nice big 2GB free at the end of the drive for new files.

I would recommend PerfectDisk over Diskeeper anyday. Get the evaluation and see for yourself.

Hey there,

What you assume is perfectly true. PerfectDisk manages the free space on your drive, while Diskeeper does not.

I would recommend PerfectDisk over Diskeeper anyday. Get the evaluation and see for yourself.

Thanks!

I'll give it a whirl,

But do you think Diskeeper Pro v9.0.515 will interfere with the latest version of Perfect Disk? :o

I have three other computers I use for testing, (Different OS's), maybe i'll try that first :wacko:

PerfectDisk rearranges files on the HD according to how often you use the files. it also optimizes them so refragmentation doesn't occur as fast afterwards. PD All The Way!

Screw the "live" Services, just defrag and schedule for shutdown afterwards and go to bed. ;)