916 members have voted

1. 1. Whats the best Defragmentation Software

• Diskeeper
    • O&O
    • Perfect Disk
    • System Mechanic
    • Contig
    • Power Defragmenter

O+O without a doubt. defrag all your disks at the same time if you like, run various methods of defragging, a brilliant package.

with other defrag software you only have the one method of defragging a disk, so if theres some fragged files on there and it cant shift it you are stuck. With O+O another defrag method might just do the trick and move the problem files.

@ Jonquil Bloom

Its really simple to crack it yourself. Just fold your Diskeeper 8 Professional CD and sure enough it will crack.

Back in the days when we worked with 5 1/4" floppys you'd have to deep freeze em for a day or two. And with a swift snap you could crack the disk as well.

BTW... a bit of side-kick info on Diskeeper... Supposedly the author is a member of the Church of Scientology. I believe Diskeeper (the one included with Windows) is not in the German version of Windows XP/2000(?) because the German government was afraid it may contain a backdoor. :)

Perhaps some of our German readers can confirm this?

BTW... a bit of side-kick info on Diskeeper... Supposedly the author is a member of the Church of Scientology. I believe Diskeeper (the one included with Windows) is not in the German version of Windows XP/2000(?) because the German government was afraid it may contain a backdoor.  :) 

Perhaps some of our German readers can confirm this?

That's an interesting piece of information. A google search turns up a lot of interesting articles and such.

Here's one from 2001 relating to Panda Software:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2001/05/03/pa...church/?FACTNet

The few articles I glanced through were fairly old. 2002 and before. I guess this is old news.

Cheers,

• 5 weeks later...

has anyone here tried both O&O Defrag Pro AND Diskeeper 8. i use O&O at the moment and just wondered if diskeeper is any better.

Is O&O's auto-sensing feature any better than the Set It & Forget It in Diskeeper?

• 3 weeks later...

I think Perfectdisk (www.rasco.com) is the best...

is was tested 6 months ago to be the fastest, and you will notice speedboost...

it has boot optimizations and all... its a nice small but strong program... prefer it above O&O

BTW Perfectdisk is really WAY faster then Diskeeper...

I've tried Diskeeper and & O&O. I liked O&O much better. More methods of defragging, and the interface seemed less kludgy, diskeeper reminded me of win3.11.

Also worthy of note that win2k3 will require the server versions of each.

I tried all of the three major defragment tools. The best among them is the o&o defrag v6.

Diskeeper PerfectDisk O&O Defrag

GUI

Best Good Better

Performance during defragmenting (Fastest)

Fast Fastest Faster

Space (less holes between files)

Good Better Best

Background (Defrag at background)

Yes No No

That is my result during my test. NOTE: "I don't really recommend o&o defrag it depends on you."

personally, i like O&O Defrag, because of its theroughness, i like perfectdisk & diskkeeper because of there quickness, but i tend 2 use O&O more, so thats where my vote resides

regards

• 3 weeks later...