How To Make 2nd CD Unattend Installation

Hi All, This is my first post here , I made Bootable Windows XP Unattended Installation Cd and it was good , but now i want to make another Cd for all the applications like Office XP, Norton antivirus, ZoneAlarm ,WinRar, Windows Media Player 9,Nero 6.23,Ad-Aware 6,Adobe Reader 6 and other applications .. I found some articals here in MSFN talking about how to make 2nd cd but i didnt get anything out of it .. cos i am using .CMD files , So what is the code which enables me to to keep all the application on the 2nd CD and right after the windows gets installed it asks me to insert the 2nd CD to complate the instalation of the rest of the programs....Thax to all

Yazan

umm... I've never seen anyone do this before (I thought it was possible to fit WinXP, Office2K3, plus other apps on a single CDR?) If not, why not go and buy a DVD burner they are so cheap these days I just bought an 8x LG Super-Multi Drive (DVD+/-R, DVD+/-RW, DVD-RAM) for only $175 AUD (about $100USD)

One method might be, when your RUNONCE commands are being executed, make the first command a batch file, which pauses and tells the user to change the CD to Disc 2 (even better, have a program eject the drive and pause)... then you put disk number 2 in, press any key to continue and away it goes...

you will obviously have to use the "running applications from CD through RunOnce" examples in MSFN's Unattend Guide to know how to make RunOnce install from the CD drive letter...

I think this would definitely work but you would have to try it yourself

it sounds simple enough? doesnt it?

you are running install from the first CD....

on your first boot, a RUNONCE command asks the user to change the CD to the second CD....

the runonce commands firstly run the batch file which asks the user to change the CD also works out which driver letter the CD drive is using... so the user changes the CD to CD2...

the second command in the runonce command list executes the programs from the CD...

I think there's a simpler way to do this...

I wouldn't have any script which "asks" for a second CD. After your install cycle is done and the PC is just sitting there, ready to do whatever, why don't you just create a CD with an AUTORUN.INF in it? The AUTORUN.INF would merely launch the .CMD file that installs all the apps on the CD as soon as you insert it.

That way, you could run CD2 whenever you wanted to, rather than being forced to run it when the PC wanted to. Plus, it would be universal (you could stick it in ANY PC and install those apps, not just in your unattended script).

That's going to be my approach with my CD2, but frankly, I've got so much stuff on CD1 that currently I don't need it. Just look at any commercial CD for an example of AUTORUN.INF - it's pretty simple, but I can't remember the exact syntax of the file.

Good luck,

JP

That's going to be my approach with my CD2, but frankly, I've got so much stuff on CD1 that currently I don't need it. Just look at any commercial CD for an example of AUTORUN.INF - it's pretty simple, but I can't remember the exact syntax of the file.
[AUTORUN]

open=

icon=

on the open line, put the relative path to the file you want executed.

icon is optional, and allows you to specify an icon, icon index, icon library to change the icon of the drive when the disk is inserted.

I tried it the autorun.inf and it went fine , BUT the problem now is in the CMD file i think i scrowed it up and now even my mind stoped working ,, so pls i request you ppl to tell me what should i type in the CMD ( how can i configer the CD-Rom) you know that the CD-Rom is different from pc to pc .. soo how can i do that ???

With many thanx xx to alll of you ..

Yazan

Hey Alanoll ,,, many thx for the help... I did it .. yesterday i was really tired , thats why I secrwed it up :) but today the first thing i did when i got up, i made the CMD file and everything went fine ,, it WORKS ..thanks for the help

Yazan

Hi to Alanoll , JPamplin , [bM]Crusher and all ,, I did it and it wors wow... now I have a question which is : in my CMD file it starts installing some programs , somtimes I dont want to install for example WinRAR or Acrobat Reader, so is there any scripts which allows me to choose what to install and what not to install.. in another words , I want it to ask me do you want to install Acrobat if yes Click Y and if No then click N.. and if I click N it doesnt install it and it goes to the next installation program...and if i click Y it does install it..... how to do this????

Thank you so much for you cooprate ..

Yazan

WPI or Xplode are good alternatives to using batch files to install programs...

WPI brings up a screen during the GUI mode setup at about T-12 minute mark... It gives you a list of all the programs and you can click on "Defaults" to select the most used ones (you get to set what is the defaults), or you can click on "Select All' and un-tick what you don't want... etc etc...

I just tried to do a search for the WPI forum thread cannot find it :/

Maybe a google search would be easier? :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

This is my first post. I try not to post at all unless I cant find what exactly I am looking for in any other threads. You've all done good so far :) I'm one of those guys who actually reads through the forums before posting. I've been trying to figure this one out for a couple weeks...

Maybe I'm not following correctly or something, but here's my question/problem...

I've made my XP Unattend CD with all the newest updates that I want, and the First CD is great. Now I am attempting to do the 2nd CD with the AUTORUN.INF so it's universal to all computers and isn't tied to the 1st CD in any way, as stated earlier in the forum.

I have all my apps in the "apps" folder(for Image of CD 2) I want and now I am thinking how to add the cmd file to the AUTORUN.INF on my root(one level up from apps folder) of my cd. I know the syntax of the autorun.inf, but I want it to install the programs right away(without restart/logoff).

I want it to display the installation how it does when it goes through the RunOnceEX, I like the look of it. But I wanna do it instantly, so I dont have to restart or logoff, or whatever to make it install from CD 2.

:rolleyes: What exactly do I need to do in order to accomplish this so it looks professional??? Is that what the, hence, AUTRUN.INF going to do, is install the stuff right away?

Thanks,

Rory