MS Virtual PC 2004

I find MS Virtual PC 2004 extremely useful, but agonizingly slow.

Does anyone have any recommendations to improve on the speed of my testing?

My computer has 1 full Gig of RAM memory,

2.4 GHz P4, and nVidia GeForce 3 Ti 500

(Dell Dimension 8100)

I have tried allocating 128, 256, and 512 MB of virtual RAM memory to Virtual PC, with no noticeable speed improvements... Is there something else I need to look at?

Example: a DVD Unnattended install test will take me over 3 hours on Virtual PC, vs only 55-70 minutes on an actual computer, with even a P3 processor...!

:)

make sure VPC2004 is set to "Allocate more CPU time to the virtual machine in the active window" and "Run Virtual PC at maximum speed"

apart from that, ed2k and similar p2p clients suck mega resources (especially if you have over 500 connections)

my vpc2004 installs are about 5 minutes slower than normal, but I am using internet and other stuff in the mean time

[bM]Crusher said:

make sure VPC2004 is set to "Allocate more CPU time to the virtual machine in the active window" and "Run Virtual PC at maximum speed"

Where can I set those settings? I can't find it under "Settings"...

:)

vpc is more usefull than vmware but its slow. I didnt hav any problem with previous versions but with 2004 version I am also having problem. vpc takes around 60-70 mins to install xp where vmware takes less then 20 mins to install.

may be its because of slow virtual hd access of vpc. I created bootable ghost image from vmware, then installed vmware tools and then dumped the file in my actual hard drive. then i created a new virtual mechine in vpc. when I was creating the ghost image the hd access was 150-400 mbps but when I was restoring the image in vpc it was restoring at 30-45mbps. :)

ok. I found something that works. I'm running W2K as host, I hit Control/ALT/DEL on the host computer while pcvm program is up, click "Task Manager", go to the processes tab, find the process "PC Virtual Trial" (Thats what the process is called for the version im running), Right click this process, choose "Set Priority", its usually set to normal, set it to "high" or "realtime". this speeds it up dramatically. Once you close the pcvm program and open it back up the priority will automatically start back as normal. you can quickly change as needed. small price to pay for speed.

Ok

I just got through doing some time testing and the results are in!

Microsoft Virtual PC(MVPC) V's VMWare(VMW)

Tested with XPHESP1 with all hot fixes + DX9 Host=W2KP,P3,512RAM

Total Install Times:

(MVPC)=93mins total and runs for 25mins @ T-13

(VMW) =62mins total and runs for 19mins @ T-13

(MVPC)= $110.00 US

(VMW) = $199.00 US

(MVPC) receives :) for ease of understanding and options available.

(VMW) receives :rolleyes::D for ease of understanding and options available.

(MVPC) = 45 days of free trial version :D

(VMW) = 30 days of free trial version

Download (MVPC)

Download (VMW)

If anyone knows how to shrink these times to install, then let me know! Thanks, RDH