Windows NT 5.x family

WinWord2000

Windows NT 5.x family refers to a group of operating systems that includes Windows 2000 (NT 5.0) ,Windows XP (NT 5.1) and Windows Server 2003/XP x64 (NT 5.2) . These operating systems share a similar codebase and architecture, which is why they are often referred to collectively as NT 5.x.

Welcome to this dedicated topic for sharing stories and experiences in both Windows 2000, Windows XP and 2003! Whether you have personal anecdotes or fond memories of these classic operating systems, this is the place to discuss and reminisce.

Feel free to share your favorite moments, challenges, and successes while using Windows 2000, Windows XP and 2003. Did you have any interesting software or games that you enjoyed running on these systems? Were there any unique customization tweaks you discovered? We're eager to hear your firsthand accounts.

Additionally, if you ever had the chance to test out or work with news programs on either Windows 2000 and Windows XP, we'd love to hear about your experiences. Were there any memorable stories from your interactions with news programs on these systems?

Let's come together to celebrate the nostalgia and the impact that Windows 2000, Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 had on the computing world. Share your stories, ask questions, and engage in discussions about these beloved operating systems.

if you have any experiences attempting to test newer programs on these systems, do let us know ,We're interested in hearing about your endeavors and any interesting discoveries you made :) 

windows_2000_tells_windows_xp_about_these_chips_by_mohamadouwindowsxp10_df4o4w2-pre.thumb.jpg.4ce5cbb1e97d2376a1729a20ce950617.jpg

Edited by WinWord2000

On 5/26/2023 at 6:49 PM, jaclaz said:

And Server 2003? (NT 5.2)?

jaclaz

Thank you for your suggestion, but I wasn't interested in adding a server system.

However, I will add it at your request my friend :) 

Edited by WinWord2000

NT 5.x is the best series of the Windows NT line ever. It was so simple but also super stable and just does the work for me. I used XP until mid 2017 as main, and it was for the most part a very pleasant eXPerience. The old taskbar and explorer interface with deskbands and quicklaunch is just a dream for productive work. To this day my workflow works best with the explorer from XP/2003. It also runs usable on hardware starting from Pentium III to the well beloved and very fast Sandy/Ivy Bridge µarch. Even on Haswell with some tweaking. The only real downside is the aging and very bad security architecture/concept and the limited modern hardware support. If 3rd party software and hardware vendors still support NT 5 I would likely use it to this day as main.

Best solution will be to clone Nt5 as an Opensource Project , something more serious than Reactos, focusing mainly on Kernel and other components rather Whole OS. This kernel can be used with XP Shell , 2000 Shell with Tweaks or Reactos Shell if u desire full opensouce.

This is exactly what Beeos People did with Haiku ,

Edited by Dibya

For me Windows Server 2003 is sill my daily driver. I preferred the Windows 95 explorer that I was using on Windows 98SE as daily driver until 2014, At this point 98SE was no longer usable because of the Web and I got a new laptop and Installed Windows Server 2003 (licenses was almost free).

I still feel like Windows NT5.x is new  I hated it when it came around in the early 2000's because it was much slower than 9x and lacked good DOS compatibility, but now I love it more than ever, super stable and nice interface, it is a shame that it is getting abandoned.

I probably will have to abandon Windows Server 2003 as a daily driver but I am unsure I will accept to actually use Windows 10+.

9 hours ago, Dibya said:

Best solution will be to clone Nt5 as an Opensource Project , something more serious than Reactos, focusing mainly on Kernel and other components rather Whole OS. This kernel can be used with XP Shell , 2000 Shell with Tweaks or Reactos Shell if u desire full opensouce.

This is exactly what Beeos People did with Haiku ,

I hope people like Wildbill, rewrite the kernel ,  Windows 2000 and XP ... have a common problem, which is that they differ on nt 6.0 in loading the dll when launching the programs. As far as I know, Wildbill has rewritten the kernel for this reason, and it succeeded in this. Unfortunately  the stopping of its life was the reason why it did not complete the development 

We can just fork Reactos and black box Reverse Engineer Server 2003 [Don't copy code just look how they implemented , Exactly what Wildbill did]

@WinWord2000 I have similar plan for NT5.2 Kernel , Tweaking it and using it on Win2000 or XP shell as u desire , fully opensource, Reactos People already documented 70% of Stuff , it is will power and man power what is needed , NT5 Forever can happen , like System V inspired Linux , it can become own Line of OS living forever, BSD was Black Box Rip Off of System V ,

This is my plan , not now exactly but will do in future when done with Current Projects , OS is no joke , so i need few other programmer.

It is inspired by Kernel32 en-devour of Wildbill, but it will go far and wide

Kernel:
- AVX/AVX2/AVX512 Native Support
- Intel Supervisor Mode Prevention
- Address Space Layout Randomization
- Kernel Page Table Isolation
- ASID & Global Pages utilized for Memory Management
- Superior Registry Hive Implementation
- NX Bits Implementation
- SSE2/SSE4 Optimized System [SSE2 is for Older Sytem with Core2/P4/Athlon64]
- System wide Sandboxing
XPDDM V2:
- Superior OpenGL/Vulkan ICD
- Varuna2D: Faster 2D Implementation based on Vulkan
*Fall Backs to GDI for Older System /Software

Usermode:
- New CRT Runtime based on UCRT
- NT6 Compatible Library: like K32_NEO for Newer Kernel 32 Api
[ In Compatibility Property u can set Vista + while running newer Apps]

HAL&ACPI:
- Modern Hardware Clock Sources
- ACPI Driver based on ACPICA

Miscellaneous:
- Intel/AMD Mesa Based Driver [DirectX9/OpenGL/Vulkan]
- Universal USB Audio Stack + UHD Audio Driver
- USB Stack Derived from Universal Kernel Mode Stack
- GPT & BTRFS
- Pure UEFI Boot [Backward Compatible with Legacy BIOS]
- SecureBoot & Hardened Bootloader.
Enhanced NDIS5:
- Few Essential Features from NDIS 6 and Above
- NIC Driver for most Common NIC for Which Official XP Driver not available

Network Stack:
- FreeBSD11 with F-Stack Patches [XP's own Stack is derived System V Unix/FreeBSD]
- WPAS 3 Support

Edited by Dibya

1 hour ago, Dibya said:

We can just fork Reactos and black box Reverse Engineer Server 2003 [Don't copy code just look how they implemented , Exactly what Wildbill did]

@WinWord2000 I have similar plan for NT5.2 Kernel , Tweaking it and using it on Win2000 or XP shell as u desire , fully opensource, Reactos People already documented 70% of Stuff , it is will power and man power what is needed , NT5 Forever can happen , like System V inspired Linux , it can become own Line of OS living forever, BSD was Black Box Rip Off of System V ,

This is my plan , not now exactly but will do in future when done with Current Projects , OS is no joke , so i need few other programmer.

It is inspired by Kernel32 en-devour of Wildbill, but it will go far and wide

Kernel:
- AVX/AVX2/AVX512 Native Support
- Intel Supervisor Mode Prevention
- Address Space Layout Randomization
- Kernel Page Table Isolation
- ASID & Global Pages utilized for Memory Management
- Superior Registry Hive Implementation
- NX Bits Implementation
- SSE2/SSE4 Optimized System [SSE2 is for Older Sytem with Core2/P4/Athlon64]
- System wide Sandboxing
XPDDM V2:
- Superior OpenGL/Vulkan ICD
- Varuna2D: Faster 2D Implementation based on Vulkan
*Fall Backs to GDI for Older System /Software

Usermode:
- New CRT Runtime based on UCRT
- NT6 Compatible Library: like K32_NEO for Newer Kernel 32 Api
[ In Compatibility Property u can set Vista + while running newer Apps]

HAL&ACPI:
- Modern Hardware Clock Sources
- ACPI Driver based on ACPICA

Miscellaneous:
- Intel/AMD Mesa Based Driver [DirectX9/OpenGL/Vulkan]
- Universal USB Audio Stack + UHD Audio Driver
- USB Stack Derived from Universal Kernel Mode Stack
- GPT & BTRFS
- Pure UEFI Boot [Backward Compatible with Legacy BIOS]
- SecureBoot & Hardened Bootloader.
Enhanced NDIS5:
- Few Essential Features from NDIS 6 and Above
- NIC Driver for most Common NIC for Which Official XP Driver not available

Network Stack:
- FreeBSD11 with F-Stack Patches [XP's own Stack is derived System V Unix/FreeBSD]
- WPAS 3 Support

Good luck in your project, and I hope that you will find someone to help you seriously. I think that @Ximonite is also heading in the same way as you.

https://forum.eclectic4un.me/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=51