Don't update to Firefox 113 (broken fullscreen video) EDIT: Issue resolved in 113.0.1

test5362

In Firefox 113, any kind of fullscreen video is broken under Win7/8, see here: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1832547 https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1830721

Apparently this bug was known for 10 days in Nightly but went through for release, because they don't even test stuff under Win7 anymore, and the fix is only scheduled for May 23rd right now. Oh well, maybe this topic can save others the hassle.

Edited by test5362

OK, so I tested a video in Firefox Nightly 115.0a1 (2023-05-11) (64-bit) on my Windows 7 SP1 64-bit VM, and full screen video isn't broken to me.

Edited by mina7601

20 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

Sampei.Nihira mentioned that Tuesday. Maybe more Windows 7 users should test the nightly builds? Mozilla isn’t loaded with cash like Google, and might not survive the year.

I don't expect Windows 7 support for much longer than a year from now anyway, but more testing might leave us with a slightly better final version indeed. And yes, it's a nice surprise that the hotfix is out already.

4 hours ago, D.Draker said:

Mozilla will ditch Win 7 soon after Google

That should be NO surprise to ANYONE.

Only "wishful thinking" would have ever thought otherwise.

Google has been the primary search engine in Mozilla Firefox since 2017 and about 88% of Mozilla revenue comes direclty from Google.

Source:  https://fourweekmba.com/how-does-mozilla-make-money/

I'm open for a more current revenue report, but I doubt it would change much.  Without Google as the default search engine, Mozilla would essentially be bankrupt.

That is from 2020 and I do admit that I have not installed any newer versions of Firefox, but I have to assume that Google is still the default search engine.

What probably should surprise us is that Mozilla still allows the user to "unset" Google as the default search engine because that cuts their revenue stream immensely.

If one truly "supports" Mozilla, don't you have to use the default Google search so that Mozilla gets a paycheck?

Firefox is a RAM hog as always of course but works pretty well for me now that I figured out the issue with washed out video, so it will be a shame to see Win7 support cease. I don't have any experience with Chrome/Chromium or such but AFAIK Opera is based on that and definitely feels a lot more broken on Win7 already, plus I believe uBlock Origin is said to work best on Firefox as well.

I used PM around the time Mozilla did one of their stupid UI redesigns but ditched it again after realizing how much slower and less multithreaded it was, and recall it also randomly deleting my sessions upon updating. This was years ago so I have no idea what the current status on it is, but I remember them ditching XP support in their mainline build and only supporting it in a legacy build, but right now I only see 32-bit and 64-bit Windows builds on their page with no apparent information as to what versions are supported.

• test5362 changed the title to Don't update to Firefox 113 (broken fullscreen video) EDIT: Issue resolved in 113.0.1
19 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Regarding Firefox 113  --  it dawns on me that I have not met (in real life) a Firefox-user in over three years (at least).

I wonder how many MSFN Members use Firefox?  Not forks of Firefox, but the real Firefox.

I do use it at work for running Skype (few co-workers use Firefox generally). And sometimes at home when I get tired of Pale Moon freezing occasionally.

Edited by UCyborg

Firefox is my main browser. It was formerly Pale Moon, but the bloated web started to take its toll and some websites refused to work properly. In many respects, Google Chrome has become the new Internet Explorer and it isn't hard to come across a website that only properly works under Chrome. I refuse to be subjected to Google's spyware where possible, however, so I only use it when absolutely necessary (and specifically - Ungoogled Chromium, at that).

Firefox is far from perfect. Their Quantum update and rebrand seemed to have been done in an attempt of attracting Chrome users while in reality only serving to alienate their existing user base. Firefox simply can't compete with Google's monopoly over the web. It will never be the fastest browser (many suspect non-Chrome browsers are purposefully throttled on sites such as YouTube), but it was at one point the clear winner in terms of features and customization. I could go on, but you probably get the idea.

With that being said, my wishful hope is that Mozilla understands the importance of keeping Windows 7 & 8 support. I couldn't possibly know what their usage statistics on those operating systems say or what exactly their ultimatum will be for eventually ending support, but I hope it's pushed back as far as possible. For those of us left on Windows 7 & 8, likely disillusioned with Microsoft's current direction, it's only going to get more difficult. Undoubtedly, there will be unofficial browsers (as there have been already) but having official support is still quite important.

10 hours ago, broken120x120 said:

It was formerly Pale Moon, but the bloated web started to take its toll and some websites refused to work properly.

You may try it again. Yesterday's release comes with a nice boost in web compatibility. Recent development is quite rapid.