.msstyle to .theme

Hi ...

i hv downloaded a visual style which is very good ....and i want to integrate it into xp unattended setup cd.......

but its .msstyle file....!

n wht i hv heard is that xp only recognizes .theme extension...

well no idea...!

so i need help here how to integrate this .msstyle file which doesnt hv ne other file also with it...!

its just one file....plzz help!!

thnks

Mukesh

copy Luna.theme to My.theme and edit it... they are pretty straight forward :)

make a subfolder for you .msstyle file and any shell folders or whatever it comes with... make sure you edit the .theme file to point to the subdir/.msstyle

edit a copy of Luna.theme to see how easy it will be! :rolleyes:

you can even jazz it up with icons etc

here is a sample .theme file I created to be able to use the corona.msstyle

; Copyright © Microsoft Corp. 1995-2001
[Theme]DisplayName=Corona
; My Computer[CLSID\{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}\DefaultIcon]DefaultValue=%SystemRoot%\Resources\Icons\MyComp.ico
; My Documents[CLSID\{450D8FBA-AD25-11D0-98A8-0800361B1103}\DefaultIcon]DefaultValue=%SystemRoot%\Resources\Icons\MyDoc.ico
; My Network Places[CLSID\{208D2C60-3AEA-1069-A2D7-08002B30309D}\DefaultIcon]DefaultValue=%SystemRoot%\Resources\Icons\Network.ico
; Recycle Bin[CLSID\{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}\DefaultIcon]full=%SystemRoot%\Resources\Icons\Full.icoempty=%SystemRoot%\Resources\Icons\Empty.ico
; Control Panel[CLSID\{21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D}\DefaultIcon]Defaultvalue=%SystemRoot%\Resources\Icons\CPanel.ico
; Printer[CLSID\{21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D}\DefaultIcon]Defaultvalue=%SystemRoot%\Resources\Icons\Printer.ico
; Find[CLSID\{2559a1f0-21d7-11d4-bdaf-00c04f60b9f0}\DefaultIcon]Defaultvalue=%SystemRoot%\Resources\Icons\Find.ico
; Help[CLSID\{2559a1f1-21d7-11d4-bdaf-00c04f60b9f0}\DefaultIcon]Defaultvalue=%SystemRoot%\Resources\Icons\Help.ico
; Run[CLSID\{2559a1f3-21d7-11d4-bdaf-00c04f60b9f0}\DefaultIcon]Defaultvalue=%SystemRoot%\Resources\Icons\Run.ico
; Folder[HKCR\Folder\DefaultIcon]Defaultvalue=%SystemRoot%\Resources\Icons\Folder.ico
; The Internet[CLSID\{871C5380-42A0-1069-A2EA-08002B30309D}\DefaultIcon]Defaultvalue=%SystemRoot%\Resources\Icons\Internet.ico
[Control Panel\Cursors]Arrow=Help=AppStarting=Wait=NWPen=No=SizeNS=SizeWE=Crosshair=IBeam=SizeNWSE=SizeNESW=SizeAll=UpArrow=DefaultValue=Windows defaultDefaultValue.MUI=@themeui.dll,-2043
[Control Panel\Desktop]Wallpaper=%ResourceDir%\Themes\kenshin1.bmpWallpaper.MUI=@themeui.dll,-2036TileWallpaper=0WallpaperStyle=2Pattern=ScreenSaveActive=0
[VisualStyles]Path=%ResourceDir%\Themes\corona\corona.msstylesColorStyle=NormalColorSize=NormalSize
[boot]SCRNSAVE.EXE=
[MasterThemeSelector]MTSM=DABJDKTThemeColorBPP=8

kk.....!

can ya explain me abt this step in your theme file...??

[Control Panel\Desktop]

Wallpaper=%ResourceDir%\Themes\kenshin1.bmp

Wallpaper.MUI=@themeui.dll,-2036

TileWallpaper=0

WallpaperStyle=2

Pattern=

ScreenSaveActive=0

i dint understand this point %ResourceDir% ........??shudnt it be just

%Resource%.............??

if i want my own wallpaper to go in this %ResourceDir%\Themes\ directory during unattended install.....then where shud i put my wallpaper...??

thnks..

Mukesh

Another option:

After you have placed the .msstyles file in the appropriate place,

windows\resources\themes\theme-name\theme.msstyles

You can double-click the msstyles file which will bring up the display properties appearance tab. From there, you can choose whatever settings you want. You can then go to the 'themes' tab and save your theme.

Check and make sure that the theme you downloaded is not just an update. Sometimes people will upload an update to their themes that do not include all of the original files.

Good Luck,

Jim

Edit: I should add that the name of the folder which contains the msstyles file generally should be the same as the msstyles file. ex:

Themes\Deepblue\Deepblue.msstyles

if i want my own wallpaper to go in this %ResourceDir%\Themes\ directory during unattended install.....then where shud i put my wallpaper...??

thnks..

Mukesh

$OEM$\$$\Resources\Themes\wallpaper.bmp

wallpaper.bmp can, of course, be whatever you want.

Cheers,

Jim