Mental Health Awareness Month

Vistapocalypse

7 hours ago, D.Draker said:

People, chicken, children, hair, etc is already plural, lol.

Not so simple, you touched one of the "tough" topics in English (but many other languages have similar peculiarities).

People is a plural noun, but in some contexts there is the  plural, i.e., as an example, you can say "the peoples of Asia":

https://www.britannica.com/browse/Peoples-of-Asia

Chicken is singular, one chicken, two chickens.

Children is the plural of child.

Hair is singular, but it is usually used as a collective noun, to mean the whole amount of single hairs, so depending on the context it can have a plural, i.e. you may find a few hairs on your comb, after having combed your hair..

jaclaz

20 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

This thread in this non-technical subforum has absolutely nothing to do with Legacy Windows. This is where especially all the social media and lollipop posters get attracted at their finest and nothing else. IMHO, this has nothing to do with the original idea of MSFN. Spoken for me only, I am in general technically interested when surfing MSFN. That's why you find me here very rarely. And that's why I became a member of the MSFN Forum in 2010. :yes:

True, it doesn't, but it ended up in the funny farm and apparently there's very little interest in the topic at hand. I suppose joking about the surrounding environment could be seen as logical in a way, given this thread's location.

For me at least, my interest in computer technicalities has waned over time since I work a job that includes plenty of them and I don't want to spend much free time dealing with them as well. While I welcome non-technical topics, the soil around here isn't as good it seems. The world is changing, times are changing, our environment is changing, our circumstances are changing and everyone copes in their own ways.

45 minutes ago, UCyborg said:

True, it doesn't, but it ended up in the funny farm and apparently there's very little interest in the topic at hand. I suppose joking about the surrounding environment could be seen as logical in a way, given this thread's location.

For me at least, my interest in computer technicalities has waned over time since I work a job that includes plenty of them and I don't want to spend much free time dealing with them as well. While I welcome non-technical topics, the soil around here isn't as good it seems. The world is changing, times are changing, our environment is changing, our circumstances are changing and everyone copes in their own ways.

Joking in a subforum called Funny Farm? No problem! That's the actual goal of such a location. :D
I agree with you that everything is changing in our world. Much faster than in the older times. But unfortunately, there are many changes I don't like. I am a bit old school or maybe more. One of my main goals here on MSFN is to make Windows XP fit for the next few years, to maintain it, to support it and keep it alive as long as possible. So much for Legacy Windows:)

Edited by AstroSkipper

7 hours ago, jaclaz said:

Not so simple, you touched one of the "tough" topics in English (but many other languages have similar peculiarities).

1 - People is a plural noun, but in some contexts there is the  plural, i.e., as an example, you can say "the peoples of Asia":

https://www.britannica.com/browse/Peoples-of-Asia

2 - Chicken is singular, one chicken, two chickens.

3 - Children is the plural of child.

Hair is singular, but it is usually used as a collective noun, to mean the whole amount of single hairs, so depending on the context it can have a plural, i.e. you may find a few hairs on your comb, after having combed your hair..

jaclaz

1 - It would be "tribes of Asia" then.

2 - No, "in more general, commonly used, contexts, the plural form will also be chicken."

https://www.wordhippo.com/what-is/the-plural-of/chicken.html

I was under the impression - commonly used, general form of English is what we use here, no?

3 - At least here we agree.

4 - Using hairs instead of hair was always deemed grammatically incorrect, at least in the 80s we were taught, only illiterates speak/spell like that.

Your English is very good, btw. None of this is meant to say otherwise.

As if it really matters?  What's the point in ANYBODY "correcting" others on such TRIVIAL matters?  To prove ones self as "always right, never wrong"?

I say that to ALL who "correct" others here at MSFN because that is why so many feel that MSFN is a "toxic environment" - it only "matters" in a "I have to be always right" universe.

My two cents, my OPINION.

"Opinions are like butts.  Everybody has one, doesn't mean everybody wants to hear them."

As far as being on-topic, I have to ask if "always right, never wrong" is a mental disorder?  waka waka waka

3 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

Joking in a subforum called Funny Farm? No problem! That's the actual goal of such a location. :D

Did you know that “funny farm” is synonymous with “loony bin,” “nut house,” “Bedlam,” “booby hatch” (thanks D.Draker for the last two) - all of which are euphemisms for “insane asylum” or “psychiatric hospital”? One such place was Pescadero, where Sarah Connor was unjustly incarcerated in the second Terminator movie. :blink:

18 minutes ago, Vistapocalypse said:

Did you know that “funny farm” is synonymous with “loony bin,” “nut house,” “Bedlam,” “booby hatch” (thanks D.Draker for the last two) - all of which are euphemisms for “insane asylum” or “psychiatric hospital”?

No. I thought it is a place to post funny stories. As I already mentioned, I usually do not post in such a forum. That is why I do not deal with it in detail. But thanks for the hint! :) And TBH, all related to psychological content is not my subject at all, and certainly not here on MSFN. jexplique.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

58 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

And TBH, all related to psychological content is not my subject at all, and certainly not here on MSFN. jexplique.gif

I don’t blame you. I started this topic because I believe that mental health issues have been affecting MSFN in recent years, and this really is Mental Health Awareness Month in the United States. The month of May will soon be over, and hopefully this topic will soon be abandoned by even the most compulsive posters - but hopefully an increased awareness will remain. :sneaky:

2 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

I don’t blame you.

Thanks for your understanding! In Roman and German law, there is the following principle: Ignorantia legis non excusat. Therefore, interpreted in a figurative sense, mea culpa:whistle:

Edited by AstroSkipper

On 5/25/2023 at 8:53 AM, jaclaz said:

Your quoted statement should be read as "I noticed how ONCE jaclaz put a space before a comma"[1].

jaclaz

[1] BTW that whole sentence has a second comma, and there was no space before that second comma, you could conclude that jaclaz is not very good at punctuation

That was so nasty of me, please accept my apologies, I promise to behave.

14 hours ago, jaclaz said:

Chicken is singular, one chicken, two chickens.

Chicken is the plural of chick. One chick, two chicks. Garden full of chicken.

7 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

Did you know that “funny farm” is synonymous with “loony bin,” “nut house,” “Bedlam,” “booby hatch” (thanks D.Draker for the last two) - all of which are euphemisms for “insane asylum” or “psychiatric hospital”? One such place was Pescadero, where Sarah Connor was unjustly incarcerated in the second Terminator movie. :blink:

Your're welcome! I could give a couple more. Would lunatic asylum be too rude for thy American ears? Here we just use the simple "institution", it is from Old French, the same as Engish, 100% identical spelling, btw.

I already wrote we have very similar or identical spellings, esp. when comparing to the Brits. We don't use indefinite articles in French that often, though.