Mental Health Awareness Month

Vistapocalypse

even the other forum I'm on eclipse (I don't do much there anymore) has never really gotten like it is here (except a few small issues over the years) with the way the world is now pretty much any forum in existence is struggling right now to survive (especially the pre windows 7 based forums)

Edited by legacyfan

19 minutes ago, Vistapocalypse said:

there is definite correlation between preoccupation with legacy versions of Windows and mental health issues

I don't see that.  I see a GIGANTIC difference "pre-covid" and "post-covid".  From "road rage" to "net etiquette", the world has changed!

It may appear to be Window-version based, but how much of that is that folks running 10 or 11 "never heard of" MSFN?  Is there really any reason for the 10's and 11's to be here?  Certainly much less than the 98's and the XP's and the Vista's and the 7's.

I guess another way to look at it is think back and there were things like "Yahoo Groups" and when you think back at those days and compare to today, nobody does "forums" anymore, nobody does "message boards" anymore.

It's a Facebook and Twitter universe.  WinCert and MSFN and RyanVM, they weren't created to be Facebook.  But it doesn't take a lot of looking to see how Facebook "persona" infiltrates MSFN at times.

1 minute ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

I guess another way to look at it is think back and there were things like "Yahoo Groups" and when you think back at those days and compare to today, nobody does "forums" anymore, nobody does "message boards" anymore.

It's a Facebook and Twitter universe.  WinCert and MSFN and RyanVM, they weren't created to be Facebook.  But it doesn't take a lot of looking to see how Facebook "persona" infiltrates MSFN at times.

even places like the 7 forums have become nothing but social based (even there post system is social like)

the world has moved on (and gotten older) there is not a need really for legacy windows forums or even any windows forums in general (when there's better options like reddit facebook twitter and things like that)

On 5/18/2023 at 2:34 AM, Vistapocalypse said:

Pink Floyd

I might have heard the name, but never looked it up. I rarely seek out new music.

1 hour ago, legacyfan said:

the world has moved on (and gotten older) there is not a need really for legacy windows forums or even any windows forums in general (when there's better options like reddit facebook twitter and things like that)

I'm not sure how those are supposed to be "better", especially the latter two.

All these modern communication platforms are alien to me (but then so are humans TBH). I made a Telegram account recently, wanted to join a group I found out about on YouTube for one specific technical topic (just to find the useful content to read) and got banned in less than 1 min. Maybe because I set my name to Pete? Well, jeez, sorry for not putting my full actual name there, I was just looking if there was anything interesting written there.

Whatever, in the end I deleted the app off the phone. Wasn't moved anyway, so I join the group and I basically see one long conversation, no structure. Seriously?

18 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

I hate to say this, but there is definite correlation between preoccupation with legacy versions of Windows and mental health issues, which is why I say:

Happy Mental Health Awareness Month MSFN! 🤪

What a load of crap ! I use Vista only because of the quality/convenience. I hate everything ribbon/non-aero. Why should I pay for something I don't like/need ?

I took extended tests upon entering the academy, I shouldn't be serving in the military, if I had issues. So you're wrong, sorry to disappoint,

And I stay away from this topic, since me (mentally healthy) posting here would be 100% off-topic. 

In any case, please accept my congratulations !

P.S.

I have friends from another countries, who are unstable, I understand you.

18 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

I don't see that.  I see a GIGANTIC difference "pre-covid" and "post-covid".  From "road rage" to "net etiquette", the world has changed!

19 hours ago, mina7601 said:

I hate to say this, but I am actually disappointed with how MSFN went downfall since the end of 2021 and 2022. :(

Hm, pretty sure drama and elitist attitude of certain legacy Windows version users was already a thing pre-COVID. This whole place doesn't seem much different from other places to me.

18 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

It may appear to be Window-version based, but how much of that is that folks running 10 or 11 "never heard of" MSFN?  Is there really any reason for the 10's and 11's to be here?  Certainly much less than the 98's and the XP's and the Vista's and the 7's.

MSFN remains the home of OldNewExplorer, StartAllBack. I guess these two programs just work. I don't think MSFN ever intended to focus specifically on old or new. XP was latest and greatest in the earlier years, you know, though I do have the impression that over time, the forum became the pensioner hangout. :P I'm not sure even the person responsible for the forum still standing actually cares about the legacy Windows versions.

30 minutes ago, UCyborg said:

Hm, pretty sure drama and elitist attitude of certain legacy Windows version users was already a thing pre-COVID. This whole place doesn't seem much different from other places to me.

It's very different to me.  Past forums I have been on were very topic-limited.  MSFN has a much broader base and topics are like sinusoids.  Lots of ups.  Lots of downs.  Active threads jump around quite a bit.  You'll have one month were the "overactive" thread is all StartAllBack.  The next month the "overactive" topic is a Roytam thread.  The next month the "overactive" thread is XP antivirus.  That's a very broad base and I have to put "filters" in place to HIDE (out of sight, out of mind) when uninteresting-to-me "overactive" topics make the topics that I am interested in seem like a needle in a haystack.

The drama and elitist attitude, I tie that to this being a "pensioner hangout", which I definitely see it as.  Think of a teenager - they "know it all" but don't really know anything, doesn't prevent them from coming across as "know-it-alls".  The "pensioner hangout", on the other hand, is at an age with "years of wisdom" but still the arrogance of not fading into the sunset and handing the reigns over to the next generation (whether they are prepared to take the reigns or not we kind of have to blame ourselves, we brought them up, afterall).

Or something like that...

40 minutes ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

It's very different to me.  Past forums I have been on were very topic-limited.

Sorry, should have said I meant it mostly in the behavior department.

Don't have much actual reference to compare other aspects, other forums seem very crowded with a lot of topics popping up in a short time period. MSFN seems easier to keep up with, though TBH, I don't really get much out of here, especially since I daily drive Windows 10, only every once in a while, but also my computers work for the most part and I can't think of anything I'd want to change, some tweaks are in place to make it more pleasant to use (or just look at :)), so I guess it's just an old habit that I still come here since I don't have much other places to go.

Just wandering through life because what else can I do?

Edited by UCyborg

6 hours ago, D.Draker said:

I took extended tests upon entering the academy, I shouldn't be serving in the military, if I had issues.

Not sure I agree here.  This is how it SHOULD work.  But my sister had PTSD (due to a miscarriage) before serving in Iraq.

She drove a tank that delivered food to civilians.  An Iragi soldier in civilian clothes threw an INFANT in front of her tank, she was trained not to stop, not that you can stop a tank that fast anyway.

She came home with PTSD x 10,000 compared to what she had going in.  Here in the US, there are times of war where our military will take anybody they can get.

Not uncommon to take in "juvenile deliquents" and the military gives them a clean slate, erases all of their criminal history.  The military MOST of the time (not all of the time!) does break them from this "criminal behavior".

I also submit that there are some mental health issues that don't show up until you're in your 30s but our military takes you at 17 with parental consent, 18 otherwise.

Edited by NotHereToPlayGames

8 hours ago, D.Draker said:

And I stay away from this topic, since me (mentally healthy) posting here would be 100% off-topic.

I understand you perfectly! I just counted TEN posts by D.Draker in this topic (and another 3 by Cocodile), so Happy Mental Health Awareness Month! 😂🤣🤪

I'm quite certain that he meant "stay away" not in the sense of abstinence, but in the sense of not expressing his opinion on the matter as he suspects his opinion would offend other MSFN members.

In that regard, I too kind of "stay away".  But I'm sure I have more then TEN posts, lol.