Mental Health Awareness Month

Vistapocalypse

19 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

I wonder if the space between the "do" and the "?" is taught in your school system?  I have seen other members also place spaces before punctuation so I can't help but be curious.

I know I too do this if the last set of words in a sentence is a URL and it's nice to not accidentally highlight and copy the punctuation mark when trying to only copy the URL.

On one hand:

"Why do people put a space before a question ..."

https://www.reddit.com/r/TooAfraidToAsk/comments/fwejui/why_do_people_put_a_space_before_a_question_mark/

7 Apr 2020 — "It's for emphasis, tone or to symbolize your speech as relaxed or casual. Sometimes punctuation directly after a word can seem really harsh."

On the other:

It is also required by the rules in several major European languages, French or Portuguese, for example. I remember my short-lived pen-pal from Belgium always did it.

Belgium has three major languages: Dutch, French and Frisian. In France we are demanded  to put a space by the rules !

So, as we all can see, as a deputy helper, you deserve the bread you eat !

The fella you talk to, might not be English, or maybe he just reads Reddit too often, I dunno.

In English, there is no space between the last word of a sentence and its question mark, that's what I remember from school.

@Vistapocalypsesorry for the off-top, I didn't start it.

Thank you for your interest in Mental Health Awareness Month! Here is a link to the Wikipedia article:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mental_Health_Awareness_Month

A festival sounds like a great idea! Perhaps we could have our own little festival in this thread? Perhaps a little music might liven things up a bit? I wonder if you young fellows ever listened to Pink Floyd, a famous rock group that first appeared during the psychedelic sixties? One of its founding members was Syd Barrett, who by all accounts was quite mentally ill and took entirely too much LSD. He was the band’s singer, guitarist and songwriter in their early days - but his fellow band members ultimately decided to kick him out. :( Nevertheless, mental health (or the lack thereof) continued to be a recurring theme in Pink Floyd’s music. The group became phenomenally successful with the release of Dark Side of the Moon In 1973, a concept album about the human condition. Here’s how the album ended: 🤕

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Z39KZAryzk

Crickets!? Perhaps everyone is all too familiar with Pink Floyd’s Brain Damage already?

My next musical selection for Mental Health Awareness Festival is a song titled Paranoia by an obscure Canadian group called Klaatu who I listened to as a youngster. :cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynskgNIphaM

On 5/15/2023 at 5:27 PM, NotHereToPlayGames said:

I wonder if the space between the "do" and the "?" is taught in your school system?  I have seen other members also place spaces before punctuation so I can't help but be curious.

I know I too do this if the last set of words in a sentence is a URL and it's nice to not accidentally highlight and copy the punctuation mark when trying to only copy the URL.

That aside, regarding your enquiry, you can get a nice start by calling up any phone number in the book and asking to speak with Seymore Butz or Harry Baals or Tiney Kox or Mike Hunt or Hugh Mungus or Hugh Janus.

A genuine Indian name is Dikshit, but I prefer the first and last name approach.

I just put space everywhere, I'm so illiterate.

And what if I'm shy_?

there is only a week left of mental health month and everyone seems much happier now (this thread has helped everyone) and I would like to thanks Vistapocolipse for the inspiring thread

Edited by legacyfan

Today I’m just glad that I’m not a moderator here. It occurs to me that the quantity of “antivirus for XP” discussion this year has been disproportionate to the number of XP users who don’t already have a preferred security solution. 🤔

On the other hand, one might expect definition updates for some of the “legacy” solutions to cease most any time now, so a discussion of all the remaining options may yet prove very valuable for XP diehards.

Happy Mental Health Awareness Month! :)

10 minutes ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

:buehehe:  I can say "I tried" to tone it down.  But yeah, I'm done with that thread for a few days, lol.

One reason I encouraged AstroSkipper to start a new thread was so that the already-overlong older thread could become an expendable “scratch pad” in hopes of sparing his new thread from a similar “hyperinflation,” and this has worked out to some degree.

6 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

Today I’m just glad that I’m not a moderator here

You're completely right, I feel sorry (and I mean, really sorry) for the moderators for holding so much responsibility to deal with arguments that happen everyday. It's becoming a loop. Actually, it's already a loop.

I hate to say this, but I am actually disappointed with how MSFN went downfall since the end of 2021 and 2022. :(

Edited by mina7601

2 minutes ago, mina7601 said:

You're completely right, I feel sorry (and I mean, really sorry) for the moderators for holding so much responsibility to deal with arguments that happen everyday. It's becoming a loop.

I hate to say this, but I am actually disappointed with how MSFN went downfall since the end of 2021 and 2022. :(

and ive not been much of a help in fixing that :( (but I will make a change) for the future of this forum

I am a moderator on a Proxomitron forum (two of them but one isn't around anymore).

Not much traffic these days but was way more active than MSFN when the Proxomitron Community had a guy by the name of "sidki3003" (if I remember the name correctly, don't have that bookmark here at work).

The Proxomitron forum never had these types of "events".