Antimalware, firewall, and other security programs for Windows XP working in 2023 and hopefully beyond

AstroSkipper

3 minutes ago, Vistapocalypse said:

I just looked at a YouTube video in which that exact version was tested. The video was uploaded in June 2014 i.e. that’s a mighty old version!

The YouTube "version" is not the same as the version posted by AstroSkipper.

YouTube's is .1099.

AstroSkipper's is .1109.

On 5/9/2023 at 10:16 PM, NotHereToPlayGames said:

I only say that because we can't rule out that what you downloaded "today" and thusly reported by the GUI as "last updated" is actually an OLD definition database.

I downloaded nothing. It's a picture uploaded by @bluebolt. And there is unfortunately no timestamp of the downloaded definition files visible in the GUI. :no:

Edited by AstroSkipper

11 hours ago, shelby said:

Any info about wise vector x? 

Unfortunately, no good news! I already wrote about WiseVector StopX. Here is my last post:

And here is my list of programs that have recently been abandoned:

No hope anymore! This program is dead. Sorry to report such bad news! Of course, it might be used for a while if it was already installed. But there are no new definition updates (since January!) which are important to let the program work properly, though. I already uninstalled it completely. :(

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

6 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

And what about this post?

There is a picture inside:

Bit-Defender.png

It says "LAST UPDATED: Today", and the date is 24.03.2023. Is it fake? :dubbio:

Of course it's not fake.  I have BitDefender on several 32-bit XP machines -- works the same way on each (perfectly) and is updated daily, usually multiple times a day.

I plugged in an old eMachines/atom that hasn't been turned on in years.  It went like this:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Did the "Virus signatures updated" page's signature number change?

The "Last Updated" could still be misleading and the actual signature number be the same virus signatures from BEFORE the "update".

The "My Bitdefender" clearly reads Could not connect to server, are you 100% sure that your virus signatures were updated?  Wouldn't these come from the same server that was unable to be connected to?

13 hours ago, bluebolt said:

Of course it's not fake.  I have BitDefender on several 32-bit XP machines -- works the same way on each (perfectly) and is updated daily, usually multiple times a day.

I plugged in an old eMachines/atom that hasn't been turned on in years.  It went like this:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Nice pictures but unfortunately they don't really help. What we need are details about the installer.

On 3/24/2023 at 11:01 PM, AstroSkipper said:
On 3/24/2023 at 10:40 PM, bluebolt said:

Yes, there is a full (offline) installer for BitDefender 1.0.21.1109, and it still works fine.

I didn't find any offline installer. Any link to a working, full offline installer? The name, size or date of this installer would be helpful, too. :yes:

On 5/9/2023 at 12:48 PM, AstroSkipper said:

BitDefender 1.0.21.1109 can't be verified here to be working in Windows XP. The online installers for this version don't work anymore. BitDefender must have removed the online sources which these installers need to download. An offline installer would therefore be necessary.
@bluebolt You made the following statement in March of this year:

On 3/24/2023 at 10:40 PM, bluebolt said:

Yes, there is a full (offline) installer for BitDefender 1.0.21.1109, and it still works fine.

Since then, no further information from you! At this point, I would ask you to share your knowledge with us. Any detailed information about this offline installer would be helpful such as name, size, date and version. Even better would be a working download link or, if there is no longer one, an upload link. :yes: Thanks in advance!

Kind regards, AstroSkipper captain.gif

PS: Due to the lack of a working installer, I added BitDefender 1.0.21.1109 to the list in the third post.

@bluebolt I have now asked you twice to share information about a working offline installer for BitDefender 1.0.21.1109. All what you provide are pictures. But pictures can't be installed and tested. :P I'm glad for you that your old installations are still running and seem to be updated :yes:, but unfortunately that doesn't help us at all :no:. Can BitDefender 1.0.21.1109 still be reinstalled in 2023:dubbio: I personally fear that this is no longer possible. So I ask you a third and then last time to give us information about the offline installer you mentioned in the quoted posts above. Any detailed information about this offline installer would be helpful such as name, size, date and version. Even better would be a working download link or, if there is no longer one, an upload link:yes: Thanks in advance!

Kind regards, AstroSkipper captain.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

7 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Did the "Virus signatures updated" page's signature number change?

The "Last Updated" could still be misleading and the actual signature number be the same virus signatures from BEFORE the "update".

The "My Bitdefender" clearly reads Could not connect to server, are you 100% sure that your virus signatures were updated?  Wouldn't these come from the same server that was unable to be connected to?

Naturally the virus update version and signature numbers change with every update.  The "Could not connect to server" isn't the update server, it's for logging into your account.

2 hours ago, bluebolt said:

...The "Could not connect to server" isn't the update server, it's for logging into your account.

That reminds me: While searching unsuccessfully for an offline installer I came across a February 2020 post that the version in question could not be activated (but at least this poster evidently had a working installer):

https://community.bitdefender.com/en/discussion/81987/unable-to-activate-bitdefender-antivirus-free-edition-1-0-21-1109

The only advice he received was to uninstall it and install “the latest version.” :(

Bitdefender announced EOL for their Free Edition for Windows as of December 2021, including a threat that “all updates will cease” June 30, 2022:

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/2027/

Apparently there is an all-new Bitdefender Antivirus Free in 2023, but of course it does not support XP or Vista; and Bitdefender plans to end support for Windows 7 and 8.1 in January 2024. It would actually be shocking if they are still providing definition files signed with SHA-1 solely for the benefit of XP diehards running a 2016 version that can no longer be downloaded. :huh:

1 hour ago, pcalvert said:

Shadow Defender

http://www.shadowdefender.com/

It's a type of sandbox program that prevents unwanted changes to the system.

Yep, Shadow Defender is already on my internal list. ssuper5sur5.gif And of course, many other security programs for Windows XP, too. But first of all: Hello and thank you for your suggestion! I installed this program in my Windows XP system years ago. :)

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

Ok! I'm going to go a round further now as I'm getting fed up with this nonsense. Obviously @bluebolt is not willing to disclose any meaningful information here and share his knowledge with us in this forum. And that will have its reasons. First of all, here are the facts:

• The still downloadable online installers don't work anymore. BitDefender must have removed the online sources which these installers need to download.
  • Offline installers are no longer available. All links seem to be removed.
  • In one of @bluebolt's pictures, one can clearly see that a connection to My BitDefender is no longer possible. Here is a quotation from this picture: "My Bitdefender:  Could not connect to server"

Regarding these facts it is also pretty obvious why @bluebolt only spreads information here that is not really helpful. I assume or, even stronger, I am quite sure that even if such an offline installer exists, a successful activation of a new installation via the user interface won't be possible any longer. The reason for this was provided by @bluebolt himself: 

On 5/10/2023 at 5:06 PM, bluebolt said:

The "Could not connect to server" isn't the update server, it's for logging into your account.

No connection to My BitDefender means no login into the user's account which unfortunately is necessary for a successful activation. Therefore, a new activation is no longer possible.

I therefore consider BitDefender 1.0.21.1109 obsolete and no longer usable. No entry in my "list of working antimalware, firewall, and other security programs for Windows XP", but at most in the "list of programs that have recently been abandoned", although it actually was abandonded for more than a year. And further information is no longer necessary either, certainly not such pointless information that is not actually intended to help potential users of this program here in the forum. :angry:

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

1 hour ago, shelby said:

So what antivirus is vfm so far

You want to pay for an antivirus? Why? There are enough programs for free. The question which antimalware program is value for money (vfm) can't be answered easily. It depends on your needs. :)

Edited by AstroSkipper