Antimalware, firewall, and other security programs for Windows XP working in 2023 and hopefully beyond

AstroSkipper

Malware Hunter

Malware Hunter is an antimalware program from Glarysoft and is still XP-compatible. It comes in two versions, the free version Malware Hunter and the commercial version Malware Hunter Pro. It detects and removes stubborn malware that can cause potential danger. Its malware database is constantly updated either automatically or manually depending on the installed version. Additionally, it is supposed to clean disks and speed up your PC. It is even equipped with the Avira scan engine.

Features:

• Malware Scan - Scan your computer quickly and thoroughly. Detect and remove stubborn malware to prevent potential danger. Support scheduled scan to save your time
  • Speed Up - Help you optimize your system to speed up and boost your computer performance.
  • Disk Cleaner - Clean up temporary & unnecessary files. Remove unneeded documents to save computer storage space.
  • Process Protection - Protect your PC from malware, such as Trojan, worms, spyware, and other online threats.
  • 3 Scan modes
  • Avira engine
  • Hyper scan for a faster scanning speed
  • Malware removal
  • Real-time protection and automatic updates (only in Malware Hunter Pro)

Homepage: https://www.glarysoft.com/malware-hunter/

Version number: 1.181.0.803 update.gif

Date of release: 01.04.2024

System requirements:

Runs on Microsoft Windows 11, 10, 8.1, 8, 7, XP and Vista. Including both 32-bit and 64-bit versions.

Version history and release notes:

1.181.0.803 (01.04.2024)
Minor GUI improvements
Minor bug fixes
1.180.0.800 (05.03.2024)
Minor GUI improvements
Minor bug fixes
1.179.0.799 (05.02.2024)
Minor GUI improvements
Minor bug fixes
1.178.0.798 (16.01.2024)
Minor GUI improvements
Minor bug fixes
1.177.0.797 (26.12.2023)
Minor GUI improvements
Minor bug fixes
1.176.0.796 (11.12.2023)
Minor GUI improvements
Minor bug fixes
1.175.0.795 (20.11.2023)
Optimized Malware: Improved right-click menu display for an enhanced user experience.
Minor GUI improvements
Minor bug fixes
1.173.0.791 (16.10.2023)
Optimized Malware: added support for 'iTopsoft Register Optimizer' and 'Nemo Registry Doctor'
Optimized Cleanup: optimized the interface display so that users can view cleaning details on the main interface to improve the experience
Minor GUI improvements
Minor bug fixes
1.172.0.790 (18.09.2023)
Optimized Malware: added support for 'FrostWire6 ' and 'AntiBrowserSpy'
Minor GUI improvements
Minor bug fixes
1.171.0.789 (28.08.2023)
Optimized Malware: added support for 'GlobalAntivirus ' and 'GlobalPCCleanerPro'
Minor GUI improvements
Minor bug fixes
1.170.0.788 (07.08.2023)
Optimized Malware: added support for 'LorienCleaner ' and 'RefogEmployeeMonitor'
Minor GUI improvements
Minor bug fixes
1.169.0.787 (17.07.2023)
Optimized Malware: added support for 'ScanMyReg ' and 'WinUtilities'
Minor GUI improvements
Minor bug fixes
1.168.0.786 (26.06.2023)
Optimized Malware: added support for 'SmartPCBooster' and 'SpeedConnect'
Minor GUI improvements
Minor bug fixes
1.167.0.785 (29.05.2023)
Optimized Malware: added support for 'MaxthonBrowser' and 'RegSupremePro'
Minor GUI improvements
Minor bug fixes
1.166.0.784 (08.05.2023)
Optimized Malware: added support for 'Turbo' and 'GateBrowser'
Minor GUI improvements
Minor bug fixes
1.165.0.782 (17.04.2023)
Optimized Malware: added support for 'AmanVPN', 'ClearBarBrowser' and 'WebFoxBrowser'
Minor GUI improvements
Minor bug fixes

Reviews:

https://onlinecloudsecurity.com/malware-hunter-review-is-it-safe-to-download/

https://tweaklibrary.com/glarysoft-malware-hunter-pro-review/

Download page: https://www.glarysoft.com/downloads/?p=mh-page

Direct download link: https://download.glarysoft.com/mhsetup.exe

Screenshots:

Malware-Hunter.png

Malware-Hunter-2.png

Malware-Hunter-4.png

Although I personally don't prefer features like cleanup or optimization inside an antimalware program, the fact that this program is still compatible with Windows XP and has an Avira scan engine does not make it uninteresting. In any case, it can be used as an offline scanner in the free version and can also be set up as a portable version. You have full control over Malware Hunter via its systray icon. It is definitely an option for Windows XP.

Cheers, AstroSkipper ordi09.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

Wow malware hunter looks almost exactly like 360 total security.

I also wanted to say that as Astroskipper have said Avast have issues. Here are 2 problems I have seen with Avast. Back when I was using Avast 5 I noticed that Avast didn't have any cleaning capabilities. I installed it on an infected system. It detected IE as infected. But all it did was delete IE and all associated files. So I had to install IE again.

Another thing that I noticed more recently around 2019 was that if you remove Avast it can make other programs stop working. One time I removed Avast and after I did Firefox and Office stopped working for some reason. I wouldn't be surprised since they always recommend Chrome. Many times I found computers with Chrome that got installed by Avast.

What I noticed many years ago, with any antivirus in real time. It is that if I run a .exe file with a virus, it still infects the system even if the antivirus detects it. I remember this especially with Avira.

1 minute ago, Cixert said:

What I noticed many years ago, with any antivirus in real time. It is that if I run a .exe file with a virus, it still infects the system even if the antivirus detects it. I remember this especially with Avira.

You might test that in these days again! virus01.gif :buehehe: 

"Zero Day" viruses/malware are the bigger concerns.

Perhaps it would be useful/beneficial for a report on how effective these programs are at catching "Zero Day" vulnerabilities *before* the next definition update - it's "easy" to catch them *after* a definition update.

36 minutes ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

"Zero Day" viruses/malware are the bigger concerns.

Perhaps it would be useful/beneficial for a report on how effective these programs are at catching "Zero Day" vulnerabilities *before* the next definition update - it's "easy" to catch them *after* a definition update.

Unfortunately, my time and resources are limited. Researching and writing such articles is very time-consuming. Any help, any testing of programs, any posting of experiences already made regarding such security programs for Windows XP is therefore always welcome. :thumbup

Edited by AstroSkipper

4 hours ago, tekkaman said:

Wow malware hunter looks almost exactly like 360 total security.

I also wanted to say that as Astroskipper have said Avast have issues. Here are 2 problems I have seen with Avast. Back when I was using Avast 5 I noticed that Avast didn't have any cleaning capabilities. I installed it on an infected system. It detected IE as infected. But all it did was delete IE and all associated files. So I had to install IE again.

Another thing that I noticed more recently around 2019 was that if you remove Avast it can make other programs stop working. One time I removed Avast and after I did Firefox and Office stopped working for some reason. I wouldn't be surprised since they always recommend Chrome. Many times I found computers with Chrome that got installed by Avast.

38 minutes ago, Vistapocalypse said:

Yes, but the latest versions of 360 Total Security Essentials 10 are conterminous with bloatware that installs a so-called Desktop Manager, of course without being asked, and moves all my icons on the desktop. :realmad: I have already written about that here:

In contrast, Malware Hunter has a clean interface without such bloatware, though. smilie_denk_24.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

1 hour ago, Vistapocalypse said:

Both are Chinese.

BTW, we Windows XP (and Vista) users should actually be glad that there are still countries that develop XP-(Vista-)compatible programs. You may think what you want about some countries, but they still use and maintain these old operating systems. In my opinion, that should be appreciated. At least, so I do. :yes: And that has definitely nothing to do with politics or any preferences. :no:

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

33 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

BTW, we Windows XP (and Vista) users should actually be glad that there are still countries that develop XP-(Vista-)compatible programs. You may think what you want about some countries, but they still use and maintain these old operating systems. In my opinion, that should be appreciated. At least, so I do. :yes: And that has definitely nothing to do with politics or any preferences. :no:

Bingo!

12 hours ago, Cixert said:

This is a political opinion that should not fit in this forum. I cannot imagine that situation and I am not going to express my political opinion here. Sorry.

Political opinion to block autorun viruses ? 

1 hour ago, D.Draker said:

Thank you for a very useful warning ! I'd never use a chinese "security" soft (politics or not).

You don't have to because, if I remember correctly, you abandoned Windows XP in 2007. But Windows XP enthusiasts like me have to adapt to the circumstances, whether you like it or not. And as for Chinese software, there are good and correct developers there too, but also black sheep. Just like everywhere else. smilie_denk_24.gif 
BTW, I don't think it was meant as a warning but an additional information that presumably most of us already know, though.  :P

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

5 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

...You may think what you want about some countries...

Of course I may! I was born in the USA - not China. You have almost convinced me that XP diehards really are a threat to the security of the Free World, so keep up the great work! :blink:

3 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

Of course I may! I was born in the USA - not China. You have almost convinced me that XP diehards really are a threat to the security of the Free World, so keep up the great work! :blink:

USA and France - allies forever. Glory to the US, Vive La France ! I wonder where's the  @jaclaz's Italian anti-virus for XP ?

Must be at the first place. I don't see it in the list . @AstroSkipper, am I missing something ?

https://msfn.org/board/topic/184730-antimalware-firewall-and-other-security-programs-for-windows-xp-working-in-2023-and-hopefully-beyond/?do=findComment&comment=1244365