Newbie question :)

This question is because of my bad English and i dont understand some stuff at all.

Is Unattended CD like Recovery CD??

If i create this CD i would be able to recover my computer in situation of crash same as with recovery CD?

DO i need 2 or 3 CD-s because probably 1 will not be enought?

Can i do quicka format on harddisk from that CD bifore instalation?

thanks (please dont use some special terms)

if you create an UNATTENDED windows cd, you cannot run recovery console at all, never ever

the best thing to do would be to use MSFN's Multi-Boot DVD guide to create a Multi-Boot CD that features an unattended installation and a standard installation :)

Use their guide on how to do it, just burn it to a CD instead of a DVD (as long as it will fit I have made a Multi-Boot CD using an unattended and normal installation where the unattended installation takes up about 650MB of the CD) :rolleyes:

oh, you have to use cdimage to create the .ISO file if you make the multi-boot or it definitely won't fit on the cd

You can install the recovery console onto your hard disk and it will be displayed on the boot menu.

1) Insert your Windows XP CD into the Drive.

3) Close the 'Welcome to Windows XP' window if it appears.

2) From the command prompt or Start Menu>Run, enter: e:\I386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons

3) Follow the installation instructions.

e: should be changed to the drive letter that represents your CDRom.

After installation, the CD will no longer be required to run the recovery console.

if you create an UNATTENDED windows cd, you cannot run recovery console at all, never ever
ay?? I don't exactly like the sound of that.
You can install the recovery console onto your hard disk and it will be displayed on the boot menu.

It'd be nice to know which is the case...

if i knew that we couln't run the consolde i might not even be doing this unattended install.

if that is really the case it might be a good idea to warn ppl first as part of the guide? :)

http://unattended.msfn.org/

(or maybe to clarify that if it isn't the case it would have to be installed later?)

and if the latter is the case (that it is possible to install the console later) maybe it'd be a good idea mention that it can be added to your RunOnceEx/Cmdlines.txt/etc.

What [bM]Crusher means is that you cannot load the recovery console from your 'unattended CD'. Since it is running unattended, you will not be given the option to load the recovery console. You could still use the original cd or install the console onto your hard drive.

Our repsonses are not mutually exclusive. :)

Jim

yes i thought you might be replying to what he said but i prefer confirmation. :)

[2) From the command prompt or Start Menu>Run, enter: e:\I386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons

so whattya say, would there be any reason for it not to be safe to add this to part of your runonce/cmdlines.txt/etc? :rolleyes:

Actually, I thought about that for a second. The main problem is you cannot do it silently. At least I don't know how to install it silently.

Edit:

I did find this:

Installing Recovery Console During an Unattended Install

In order to install the Recovery Console during the unattended installation of Windows, it is necessary to use the [GuiRunOnce] section of the unattend.txt file.

Command1="path\winnt32 /cmdcons /unattend"

http://www.theforumz.com/forumz/showthread...?threadid=46962

I have not tried this out so use at your own risk.

The only disadvantage is that you will be prompted with a boot menu at startup. Not a problem with users who already have multiple OSs installed. Single OS users might find it annoying.

Cheers,

Jim

Command1="path\winnt32 /cmdcons /unattend"

wouldnt the unattend switch mean silent? (just curious) :)

And i think alot of ppl here are using RunOnceEx in cmdlines.txt so if its done the above way through guirunonce, theoretically it should be doable the RunOnceex from cmdlines way? (if unnattend means silent) :rolleyes:

And thanks eh, and about the boot menu, that's ok i'll just set the menu to 1 second or something :D

wouldnt the unattend switch mean silent? (just curious) :)

And i think alot of ppl here are using RunOnceEx in cmdlines.txt so if its done the above way through guirunonce, theoretically it should be doable the RunOnceex from cmdlines way? (if unnattend means silent) :rolleyes:

I would think that /unattend would do it silently. :D

Not having installed the RC in this way, I'm leary about saying what will or will not work.

It would be my guess that you could do it from RunOnceEx. The only way to find out is try it...

Cheers,

Jim

wait wait wait

So with unattended CD i will just restore drivers and windows files??

Why i need recovery console, I can run unattended CD from there?

I still dont understand unattended CD at all. Im a NEWBIE not IT :)

Also if i want to create recovery CD on DVD-DISK what software do you recomending for me? (I want same features as for ex. Compaq recovery CD)

thanks

Is Unattended CD like Recovery CD?? 

If i create this CD i would be able to recover my computer in situation of crash same as with recovery CD?

DO i need 2 or 3 CD-s because probably 1 will not be enought?

Can i do quicka  format on harddisk from that CD bifore instalation?

thanks  (please dont use some special terms)

No, an unattended cd is not a recovery cd. It's a normal installation CD that does not require user intervention.

See Unattended XP CD Guide

to make it on a dvd-disk is no different at all

still use 'cdimage' tool to create the .ISO file

still use 'nero' or your favorite program to burn the .ISO file

use the Multi-Boot DVD guide from MSFN homepage to create a truly excellent bootable DVD :)

I used that method to make a bootable CD that has an ATTENDED xp pro installation and an UNATTENDED xp pro installation plus several utilities like Norton Ghost, Drive Image, Partition Magic etc etc... and of course it still fitted onto a 700mb CDR disc.... this way I can run an ATTENDED installation if I want a recovery console, or a repair... and any other time I will run the UNATTENDED installation that does all my drivers and programs...