Radeon Xpress 200 and Radeon X800 refuse to work on 98SE

bob_smith

I have a ASUS A8AE-LE mobo supposedly from some HP/Compaq machine, which has an RS482/SB450 chipset. The mobo contains a Xpress 200 graphics chip which I am temporarily on due to the failure of my Radeon X800. Works great in Vista and XP but on 98SE I am having issues. The Catalyst 6.2 drivers claim to support it but refuse to work no matter what. XP identifies it as "Radeon Xpress 200 Series" and when installing it as that in 98SE I see the Windows 98 logo on boot and then it immediately stops outputting video signals. I should try and install Catalyst 6.2 on XP to see if its the issue, but I'm not exactly sure what's going on.

Edited by bob_smith

I didn't think memory would be an issue (I have 2 sticks of 512MB DDR-400 which show up in 98 at around 900MBs so maybe). Can I limit it's memory in the BIOS?

It's also useful to add that Catalyst 6.2 claims it finds no supported device which prevents installation, but Catalyst 10 on XP installs and works fine.

Yes, you can limit the memory. It looks like now you are using 128MB, which should be totally fine with Windows 98.

But if the Catalyst doesn't find the card - and no drivers are installed - what causes the black screen? Did you installed them manually?

Can you post a screen capture with all devices present in Device Manager?

3 hours ago, Omores said:

But if the Catalyst doesn't find the card - and no drivers are installed - what causes the black screen? Did you installed them manually?

Yeah, I installed the INF files directly, Windows extracted all the neccesary DLLs to the system folder as well.

• bob_smith changed the title to Radeon Xpress 200 and Radeon X800 refuse to work on 98SE