Startup Managers under Windows XP

AstroSkipper

20 minutes ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

That's one way to date XP.  But I think of XP as being from 2008 because that's when SP3 was released.  Unsure when the last official (non-POSReady) hotfix rolled out - 2014? 2017? Don't recall.

It was on 10.06.17: KB4022747, KB402432 and KB4024402. :)

Edited by AstroSkipper

I don't think you can compare full-fledged Ubuntu releases which come with brand new bundled software releases, kernel and drivers supporting newer hardware etc. with Microsoft's service packs. XP from 2017 still can't do windowed Direct3D rendering with optimal performance across multiple screens, can it? Or run with CMOS clock in UTC?

Vista had both by SP2, released in 2009.

1 hour ago, UCyborg said:

XP from 2017 still can't do windowed Direct3D rendering with optimal performance across multiple screens, can it?

Great example!

But also a user-discretion, in my opinion.

One of my CAD packages for PCB layouts does use windowed Direct3D rendering across multiple screens when I run in Win 7 (I suspect Vista SP2 also but I have never owned Vista for company needs).

But it gives me ocular migraines and I never understood "why".

I still run that CAD package to this day - but inside an XP VirtualBox VM running from a Win 7 "host" (now upgraded to Win 10 but the CAD package still runs through that XP VM).

I should try the CAD package directly installed on Win 10 but that particular CAD package is showing its age and is only used with my "legacy clients".

Edited by NotHereToPlayGames

I am beginning to wonder what thread we are in here. This thread was opened by me to talk about Startup Managers for Windows XP. So please, back on topic, guys! I also continue to wonder where all these supposed Windows XP users actually are. Testing my problem takes only a few minutes and is completely unproblematic. At the moment, I seem to be the only one using Windows XP Professional SP3 32 Bit with all POSReady updates on a real machine (no VM). :dubbio:

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

On 5/8/2023 at 9:49 AM, AstroSkipper said:

Hooray! houra.gif There are still real Windows XP users here in the Windows XP Forum. Now we are already three! @NotHereToPlayGames, @tekkaman and @AstroSkipper. Even if that doesn't really help me now, I'm still glad to hear something like that. ssupercool2.gif

I never left XP really. I have XP 64, Win 7 and Linux but my main OS is XP. I never really like going past XP. There are 2 reasons. One is  Stability. Second, since Windows Vista, Microsoft f*cked audio. On XP you could have audio acceleration and EAX. Also I have a very good Auzentech card with 4 speakers plugged in. For some reason since Vista and onward the sound is heard on all 4 speakers only when using Windows Media Player. But on everything else, 2 speakers are silent. On XP that doesn't happen sound is heard on all speakers no matter what software is it. Even youtube videos are heard through all 4 speakers.

4 minutes ago, tekkaman said:

I never left XP really. I have XP 64

Same here.

I don't do a lot of audio on any of my computers.

I have stayed with XP due to a "bug" that others would probably seek a "fix" for but I want this "bug" and kinda can't do "without".

I do not do "screensavers", I want my monitor to turn OFF and even a "blank" black-screen screensaver DOES NOT turn the monitor OFF, it only turns all of the pixels to as low as they can go, but the monitor is STILL ON.

I do not like that, I want the monitor to turn OFF.

So I use the power scheme instead to turn the monitors off after 15 minutes of idle time.

BUT the "bug" is that on my FIVE-monitor system, one of those five will not turn off via power scheme.

So I keep the e-mail and text-messaging programs on that monitor.  With the other four OFF, I can still walk by an "idle" computer and see if any e-mails or texts have come in (I work from a home office a large chunk of time).

Another appeal! braavo.gif

Is anyone here in the forum using Windows XP SP3 (32 Bit) Professional, fully updated including all POSReady Updates on real hardware without any virtualization (not running in a VM) like me? If so, please read this post for doing a short test of Glarysoft Startup Manager or Quick Startup! A screenshot of the main window showing application and Windows services would be very helpful! Thanks in advance! :yes:

Greetings, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

Hi @AstroSkipper :)

I never install any Updates, but I tested this to see if I can reproduce your bug.

HP laptop from 2008
Clean SP3 + legacyupdate.net (LegacyUpdate-1.6.2.exe) - 345 Updates installed, 145 POSRedy Updates, took some time to install all.

Installed all Updates, but these last 2 failed to install:
Security Update for Windows XP Embedded (KB2686509)
Windows Live Essentials
88S99.png

WinUpdatesView 1.17, 345 Updates installed:
kknjp.png

WinUpdatesView 1.17, 345 Updates installed, Save Selected Items:
https://pastebin.com/8gsw0ckv

WinUpdatesView 1.17, 345 Updates installed, Copy Selected Items, Title only:
https://pastebin.com/YBfAh0Ea

Quick Startup 5.20.1.185 Installed:
qqrbS.png

So it works fine here.
KB2686509 failed to install, I don't know if that makes any difference.

58 minutes ago, we3fan said:

Hi @AstroSkipper :)

I never install any Updates, but I tested this to see if I can reproduce your bug.

HP laptop from 2008
Clean SP3 + legacyupdate.net (LegacyUpdate-1.6.2.exe) - 345 Updates installed, 145 POSRedy Updates, took some time to install all.

Windows Live Essentials
88S99.png

WinUpdatesView 1.17, 345 Updates installed:
kknjp.png

WinUpdatesView 1.17, 345 Updates installed, Save Selected Items:
https://pastebin.com/8gsw0ckv

WinUpdatesView 1.17, 345 Updates installed, Copy Selected Items, Title only:
https://pastebin.com/YBfAh0Ea

Quick Startup 5.20.1.185 Installed:
qqrbS.png

So it works fine here.

Thank you very much, @we3fan! That's a confirmation I really needed. upp.gif Unfortunately, I have to conclude that there is indeed a problem in my Windows XP partition (with all POSReady updates). And it doesn't seem to be related to the POSReady updates themselves as I assumed. Therefore, I have to investigate that again and this time much more deeply although I already did a lot of fixing and cleaning. uniforme4.gif Anyway! Great job! goodjob.gif Thanks again for all your efforts! :)

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

34 minutes ago, we3fan said:

So it works fine here.

When I am back on my desktop computer, I will check whether KB2686509 was installed in my system or not. 
detective.gif

1 hour ago, we3fan said:

Windows Live Essentials

So it works fine here.

43 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

I have to investigate that again and this time much more deeply although I already did a lot of fixing and cleaning. uniforme4.gif Anyway! Great job! goodjob.gif Thanks again for all your efforts! :)

Great job indeed, we3fan.

AstroSkipper, for what it is worth, a clean install is almost always better than a lot of fixing and cleaning.

1 hour ago, we3fan said:

Windows Live Essentials

It's preferable to hide this update, as it is an online installer and it won't work anyway since it connects to Microsoft servers to download Windows Live Essentials files, which are gone from a very long time ago.

Anyway, great job on your testing! I like it!

Edited by mina7601

2 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

AstroSkipper, for what it is worth, a clean install is almost always better than a lot of fixing and cleaning.

Generally, I would tend to agree to your suggestion but in my case that would only be a measure if all alternatives failed. My Windows XP partition is very complex and full of special settings. It has grown over years and setting it all up again would also take years if I could remember everything perfectly. The current error only affects this particular program Quick Startup, so considering reinstalling is not really an option for me. BTW, this affected partition was created in 2004. Since then, I have never had to perform a new installation on this computer. I have a sophisticated imaging system and can revert to an older state at any time. However, according to my nature, I am interested in what the actual problem is. I like to solve all problems myself in order to have full control and to constantly expand my knowledge. :) Many errors are of a recurring nature, and a new installation would only be a temporary solution. I have a large archive of problem solutions that specifically affect Windows XP. So I can fix these errors very quickly. Some error solutions are designed by me and cannot be found on the Internet. smilie_denk_24.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content