Hello!

Rosey

Heyas,

The short read:

I'm Rosey from Down Under, my time here will be 99% reading and 1% communicating. 

The long read:
Recently built a socket 478 Pentium 4. Last one of those we had died in 2009, asus motherboard gave up the ghost. All our younglings are flying the nest, or working, time to get back to what I enjoyed. Using 3dmax to create new characters, buildings etc, for old games. Winxp 32bit on i7 was the successor from our burnt out asus socket 478 build. Alot of the older game tools didn't like the 64bit processor, win10 on a later i7, the older apps and tools disliked that even more. So enough of that, time for the old retro build made specifically for the task!

The build:

Sourced a New in box, socket 478 motherboard that supported Pci-e and ddr2. A 3.4ghz cpu, 4 gigabyte of memory (667mhz), a New in box gt 9400 graphics card, A new corsair 750w power supply.  

Up until now, everytime we upgrade, it's been to throw about 6k at the latest hardware and use it for years, picture, great hardware, generic cases, pc poked into the slot in desk and door closed. This time I am bothering with Rgb, and water cooling. Though we've alwayys used Aio with the i7's, now it's time for a custom loop.

The noise:

Needless to say, during the procuring process, many spares have been purchased as well. An original P4 socket 478 cpu cooler was added to this build to get it up and running, water cooling items still on their way (Things can take forever to deliver to Australia) Yeah! No.. No no no.

I'm sure everyone knows how loud vacuum cleaners can be? That is the sum of just the stock Cpu fan and 9400gt fan sound. Maybe a little hyperbole on how loud it is, but not by alot. It's loud!

The mess:

It's a Nzxt H440 case, fittingly retro appearing. The top, front and side panels are all off. It's a mess of wires. The ssd hangs in mid air and a cd drive sits atop it all. It runs, I've been applying applications, protection and having arrived here and finding a web browser, that too.

The dream:

A quiet system. The rgb fans have been tested already. Whisper quiet, especially since the case has sound proofing. A custom pink liquid loop for cpu and graphics card. and it's looking to be white wires. The local pc store has pink and white, yet for some reason the pci6 pin and 8 pin, one uses a black connector, the other, white. Go figure. White will be the easiest. The resevoir is a barrow with full length lcd display reading from aida installed on pc, let's see how that goes. Worst case scenario, it dislikes the retro rig and is then just resevoir. :P

~ Rosey

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi, Rosey, it'd be better to source an LGA775 board instead of 478, trust me. And it pairs with GT9400 much better, period correct.

EDIT: not saying your choice is bad, no . 775 is much quieter. seeing your concerns about the noise and whatnot.

Edited by D.Draker