ArcticFoxie/NotHereToPlayGames -- 360Chrome v13.5.1030 rebuild 8

3 minutes ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

I cannot replicate.

Nothing bad with 360Chrome 13.5.1030r8r webgld_trd_w10s

...but problem arise with 360Chrome 13.5.1030r8r webgl-e_tr-d_w10-skin

- so with webgl enabled, or Windows 10 skin: Houston, we have a problem...

13 minutes ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

This would be telemetry by Fifth Third Bank and not by 360Chrome.

Have you tried in any other browser, both Chrome-based and Mozilla-based?

Yes, in DCBrowser, MiniBrowser too, this same, if I allow scripts.

No problem in Basilisk Moebius55, nor in New Moon... but the small window of the login dialog is only displayed for a second...

ps - define "crash".

There was a "360 sync login" that was intentionally disabled that was triggered whenever creating the FIRST bookmark.

By NOT creating that FIRST bookmark but clicking that star three times, maybe that has retriggered the "360 sync login".

This will be INVISIBLE because the GUI items were removed when the "trigger" was set as "already-triggered" in the default PREFERENCES &/or WEB DATA files (which if you replaced then that too could lead to this "360 sync login" being triggered).

At any rate, this may NOT be an actual "crash".  HIT THE ESCAPE KEY on the keyboard when this happens and see if the "crash" is un-crashed.  The ESC key "closes" the '360 sync login' trigger that would be "invisible".

don't understand.
sometimes the error is with 360chrome.exe and sometimes with chrome.dll.
hitting the escape key just closes the error and the browser.
this is a "non issue" as far as i'm concerned.
no need to click that "bookmark menu" star three times when there are no bookmarks ...

Edited by rereser

On 3/22/2023 at 12:51 AM, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Don't click three times!  Problem solved.  Yeah, it's kind of "that easy".

Not really.  It is easy to forgot about the issue or forget how many times the clicking has happened and click three times.  Also, not everyone that may use these distributions are necessarily aware of the issue, and it is not reasonable for such people to know to avoid clicking the "Show bookmark menu" icon thrice.

The browser also does not have a menu bar.  Getting things to happen require interacting with icons or bars like the address bar (menus the appear when interacting with such things) or using keyboard shortcuts.  The "Show bookmark menu" icon provides various utility such as showing the Bookmarks bar or Bookmark Manager.

On 3/22/2023 at 12:55 AM, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Plus, that screencap does not have "my XP blue" skin, so whatever you did to remove the "XP blue" could be your problem.  I see the "XP blue" under your Win2k-basic-gray.

What you call the "Win2k-basic-gray" is the normal, window title bar without any visual styling. Visual styling such as the Luna blue styling appears to style over the normal windows, or normal with size and color characteristics modified.  Programs that use their own styling (skinning), like 360Chrome, style over regular windows.  When something extra to normal operations happens, such as a program crash, the true, unstylized Windows Title bar might show.  It might show before or after the crash information dialog appears.

On 3/23/2023 at 5:24 AM, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Thanks.  I did not know (or misunderstood) that this was with ZERO BOOKMARKS.

I did not know that adding a bookmark would workaround the issue.  The problem can still happens when there are bookmarks.

When the "Show bookmark menu" icon is clicked at least once while there are zero bookmarks, but not clicked enough times to where the browser crashes, then bookmarks are added, the browser may still crash upon clicking the "Show bookmark menu" icon again.

When there are already bookmarks before any clicking of the "Show bookmark menu" icon, and then the bookmarks are removed so that there are zero bookmarks, and then the "Show bookmark menu" icon is clicked many times until the browser crashes, the browser incurs a crash.

On 3/23/2023 at 5:31 AM, NotHereToPlayGames said:

ps - define "crash".

There was a "360 sync login" that was intentionally disabled that was triggered whenever creating the FIRST bookmark.

By NOT creating that FIRST bookmark but clicking that star three times, maybe that has retriggered the "360 sync login".

This will be INVISIBLE because the GUI items were removed when the "trigger" was set as "already-triggered" in the default PREFERENCES &/or WEB DATA files (which if you replaced then that too could lead to this "360 sync login" being triggered).

At any rate, this may NOT be an actual "crash".  HIT THE ESCAPE KEY on the keyboard when this happens and see if the "crash" is un-crashed.  The ESC key "closes" the '360 sync login' trigger that would be "invisible".

Crash is when the program stops operating and its instance no longer runs on the operating system, fails to continue to run on the operating system, or is stopped forcibly from continuing to run by the operating system.

Maybe the issue is related to that "360 sync login" being expected, but not being present.  Perhaps adding a dummy "360 sync login" program or operation can well patch the issue.

Edited by Ascii2
Some grammar clean-up

21 minutes ago, Ascii2 said:

The browser also does not have a menu bar.

The ≡ button below the titlebar buttons (Minimize, Maximize, Close) is the menu in 360Chrome.

Edited by mina7601

Ah it's here rebuild 8 topic... so I make copy/paste of my post posted in rebuilt 7 topic, sorry:

In my build: 360Chrome 13.5.1030r8r webgl-e_tr-d_w10-skin - on Chrome Web Store No way to download an extension; I get little window: 

"An error has occurred

Could not move extension directory into profile."

AND another inscription at the top of extension page: "Could not move extension directory into profile." + OK button...

- I've seen many answers to this problem on the web, but... maybe it's a Windows10 skin implementation problem?

I was reading througn (including the introductory post), and I wasn[t able to readily gather what the primary differences were between Builds 7 and 8.  I understand that Build 7 is more efficient on RAM conscious systems (I have only 2 GB on this old Vista x86 notebook I keep at my girlfriend's, so that bode's well for Build 7).  But am I missing anything with Build 8?

Edited by Jody Thornton

Rebuild 8 rebases to a better memory address then Rebuild 7.

Rebuild 8 includes two .dll files that technically should have never been removed in the first place (there was incorrect information being spread at MSFN that requested them to be removed, but it was INCORRECT INFORMATION).

Several minor cosmetic differences.

On 3/23/2023 at 2:22 PM, Ascii2 said:

Maybe the issue is related to that "360 sync login" being expected, but not being present.  Perhaps adding a dummy "360 sync login" program or operation can well patch the issue.

@NotHereToPlayGames - I would also note that I have tested @Humming Owl builds of 360Chrome (Thread: https://msfn.org/board/topic/182876-360-extreme-explorer-modified-version/ ; Download: https://archive.org/download/360EE_Modified_Version ) and find that, clicking the "Show bookmark menu" icon many times while there are zero bookmarks, does not result in a crash of his 360Chrome browser distributions.  I do not know if the Humming Owl builds include 360 sync login.