Java 8u181 as default Java on Win 98SE

WhiteArmpits

I can run Minecraft up to version 1.7.2 on my Windows ME desktop system with nVidia 7800GS and latest unofficial drivers. I used the latest tlaun.ch thingie. Your ATLaunch from the Google drive folder seems much more advanced/configurable but it requires having a paid Microsoft account to instantiate any game so couldn't test with it. Issues for running higher versions before java 17 is required appear to be down to OpenGL and I would think that would be the same for your system with mesa.

1 minute ago, loblo said:

I can run Minecraft up to version 1.7.2 on my Windows ME desktop system with nVidia 7800GS and latest unofficial drivers. I used the latest tlaun.ch thingie. Your ATLaunch from the Google drive folder seems much more advanced/configurable but it requires having a paid Microsoft account to instantiate any game so couldn't test with it. Issues for running higher versions before java 17 is required appear to be down to OpenGL and I would think that would be the same for your system with mesa.

Well, that's unfortunate, also because like I said before I was able to use mesa with modern Minecraft versions before the old launcher was discontinued, and that probably destroyed the way mesa works with MC on 98SE, maybe the other way is to find a workaround to make Java 17 work on my system, even tho that sounds exaggerated, I still want to try doing that

I meant Minecraft version. You can use any Java version you want with the launchers as far as I've been able to see. They use Java 17 by default but you can override this in the settings for both launchers. Newest Minecraft versions however seem to actually require Java 17.

Just now, loblo said:

I meant Minecraft version. You can use any Java version you want with the launchers as far as I've been able to see. They use Java 17 by default but you can override this in the settings for both launchers. Newest Minecraft versions however seem to actually require Java 17.

Oh, 1.16.5, but It was really slow since that I used an old version of mesa, but that was back when the old launcher was still supported

Looks like 1.16.5 is the latest running on Java 8 but as with all other versions above 1.7.2 I have tried  the game window doesn't initialize for me with it. I can make it visible using Faber Toys and play a bit but it is slow and unstable. Minecraft 1.17 requires Java 16. 

12 hours ago, loblo said:

Looks like 1.16.5 is the latest running on Java 8 but as with all other versions above 1.7.2 I have tried  the game window doesn't initialize for me with it. I can make it visible using Faber Toys and play a bit but it is slow and unstable. Minecraft 1.17 requires Java 16. 

Well, I hoped I could have made it work with mesa because it is way faster with it (if using modern versions of it), but I guess I should ask someone like DosFreak if I want to run modern versions of Minecraft with mesa, If I recall correctly he has done lots of things with that renderer, even tho i'm fine as long as I can run up to at least 1.8.9... or even better... 1.12.2

I haven't watched the video, but it looks like you installed on a 64-bit machine and are trying to transplant it onto Win9x. Install onto 32-bit machine.

If you can't start over, delete lwjgl64.dll. If you get a file missing error, copy lwjgl32.dll to lwjgl64.dll.

Edited by jumper

3 minutes ago, jumper said:

I haven't watched the video, but it looks like you installed on a 64-bit machine and are trying to transplant it onto Win9x. Install onto 32-bit machine.

But it's a 32-bit machine I'm using...