Java 8u181 as default Java on Win 98SE

WhiteArmpits

Hello, for the past few days I've been trying to make jre 8u181 the default java on my windows 98se laptop, making sure that I could run Minecraft launchers without having to run a batch file and successfully launch versions of Minecraft over 1.2.5 with mesa, but still couldn't find a way to do so, whenever I try to run modern or pre-classic Minecraft with mesa, it always crashes because the system doesn't recognize java as the standard application, is there any workaround? Thanks in advance!

https://msfn.org/board/topic/171337-running-java-apps-with-java-7-and-java-8/

A registry entry is required:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\jarfile\shell\Run with Java 8]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\jarfile\shell\Run with Java 8\command]@ = "\"C:\\Program Files\\Java\\jre8\\bin\\javaw.exe\" -jar \"%1\" %*"

or try:

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\jarfile]
@="Executable Jar File"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\jarfile\shell]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\jarfile\shell\open]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\jarfile\shell\open\command]
@="\"C:\\Program Files\\Java\\jre8\\bin\\javaw.exe\" -jar \"%1\" %*"

You need KernelEx and psapi.dll

https://msfn.org/board/topic/173302-kernelex-auxiliary-dll-updates/

16 hours ago, schwups said:

https://msfn.org/board/topic/171337-running-java-apps-with-java-7-and-java-8/

A registry entry is required:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\jarfile\shell\Run with Java 8]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\jarfile\shell\Run with Java 8\command]@ = "\"C:\\Program Files\\Java\\jre8\\bin\\javaw.exe\" -jar \"%1\" %*"

or try:

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\jarfile]
@="Executable Jar File"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\jarfile\shell]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\jarfile\shell\open]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\jarfile\shell\open\command]
@="\"C:\\Program Files\\Java\\jre8\\bin\\javaw.exe\" -jar \"%1\" %*"

You need KernelEx and psapi.dll

https://msfn.org/board/topic/173302-kernelex-auxiliary-dll-updates/

It works, thanks! Now I can run the launcher without having to use a batch file, but modern Minecraft still throws the same error whenever I try to launch it :(

As the log says, lwjgl.dll is not compatible with your system. You might be able to downgrade this file to a version that works or make it work by fiddling with an hex editor or kernelex.

1 hour ago, loblo said:

As the log says, lwjgl.dll is not compatible with your system. You might be able to downgrade this file to a version that works or make it work by fiddling with an hex editor or kernelex.

I added missing arguments to kernelex, and it didn't work, downgraded the file and still doesn't work, the only solution Is to edit the file with a hex editor, but I don't know what to touch first, can you help me with that?

Hex editing (or using import patcher also) was in case you didn't have kernelex extensions installed, replacing a missing function by one that does exist in the hope the missing one isn't actually used. But as you can add definitions to Kernelex there is no point trying to do that.

1 minute ago, loblo said:

Hex editing (or using import patcher also) was in case you didn't have kernelex extensions installed, replacing a missing function by one that does exist in the hope the missing one isn't actually used. But as you can add definitions to Kernelex there is no point trying to do that.

I see, so... Does that mean It might be impossible to make Minecraft work with mesa at the moment? Or did I miss something? Because I remember being able to use mesa with Minecraft 1.3+ on the old now-unsupported official launcher

As you certainly know, being able to run an older version of a software doesn't in any way mean a newer version will work too.

Perhaps I could try to run this on my system just out of curiosity if you give me a link, I don't use mesa though.

25 minutes ago, loblo said:

As you certainly know, being able to run an older version of a software doesn't in any way mean a newer version will work too.

Perhaps I could try to run this on my system just out of curiosity if you give me a link, I don't use mesa though.

You can find the instructions on this video, except that you need a powerful PC/Laptop (my laptop is a ThinkPad T42, but unfortunately It comes with a Radeon 7500 video card instead of a 9600 one since that I can't find one of those models for sale in my country), because of that I can only run up to 1.7.2 without mesa, even tho I somehow managed to make 1.13.2 work once without mesa, but it no longer runs now, It was very laggy without it by the way

Just now, loblo said:

I just wanted the links to the installers you're using, not a video tutorial please.

They are on the video's description, you can find Firefox (I use Mypal tho), Java, KernelEx, and ATLauncher (not the launcher I use) if you want the launcher I'm using, you can find it on tlaun.ch/jar