Windows 98 fanless laptop

sonyu

If I can't find one with VIA Eden, best will be to search for a netbook since they have been released 2007-2009

So I need to check if I can find one compatible with one of these... maybe Asus EEE pc

Intel(R) 855GM Chipset
Intel(R) 852GM Chipset
Intel(R) 855GME Chipset
Intel(R) 852GME Chipset
Intel(R) 910GL Express Chipset
Intel(R) 915GV Express Chipset
Intel(R) 945G Express Chipset
Mobile Intel(R) 915GM Express Chipset
Mobile Intel(R) 910GML Express Chipset
Mobile Intel(R) 915GMS Express Chipset
Intel(R) 915G Chipset
Intel(R) 945GM Express Chipset - GMA 950 is one example

FantasyAcquiesce, probably has done what I have done, a time or two. It is easy to duplicate.

First you install Vbemp, then you install whatever Win2k+ driver has a matching hardware vendor and device identification, and finally you reboot with your new driver.

But you are not using the Win2k+ driver. You are using Vbemp. The registry changed the name of your device, to match the Win2k+ driver. But if you go to "Device Manager" > properties on the video device in "Display Adapters" > "Driver" tab > "Driver File Details", you will find the the Vbemp driver files are still listed.

FantasyAcquiesce has even said, in that thread:

I tried to run House of the Dead 2 and only got glitchy polygons...I guess this driver is no better than the VEMP one...

The Intel video driver from RetroSystemRevival will not work. In fact, if you don't install Vbemp first, you'll end up with the default (16 color 640x480).

I will gladly eat my words, if wrong. The only way to have evidence, the driver works, is to have a screenshot of the "Driver File Details".

But I've installed drivers from 2k/XP, on Win98, and have seen the results; even the exact same driver we are talking about. It doesn't work.

But, on the bright side, some of those Intel 8**G** chipset and video device drivers seem to support Win98. The device I pointed out had one. The issue is finding something without a fan. It seems anything that old, tends to have a fan.

Why not just unplug the fan and underclock the CPU? (might require modding BIOS to avoid CPU fan error if it causes a system halt)

You can use CrystalCPUID on 9x for this and there's plenty of software for DOS to slow down the CPU in it.

My ThinkPad T42p has Intel 855PM chipset and it seems to be the latest one from Intel that is fully officially supported under 98.

Well, I prefer to find something fanless first cause it's safety... but thanks ! @MrMateczko

thanks @awkduck Yes, after I take a look, Pentium I MMX and Pentium II are the most common ones without a fan

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compaq_Armada

Then I find some Pentium II with a fan for the entire mobo, so I don't know if it makes lot of noise..

https://wiki.preterhuman.net/Compaq_Armada_7730MT

https://wiki.preterhuman.net/Compaq_Armada_7710MT

39_1168793636.jpg

83_1168793427.jpg

88_1168793658.jpg

0_1168793447.jpg

https://www.elektroda.pl/rtvforum/topic667027.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compaq_Armada

12.1" screens and S3 Aurora64V+ (2MB) video;

but it's only 1024x768... and I don't think this gpu has 3D 

I'm not worried about usb cause I can add pcmcia 

ram can be upgraded too

this one looks promising too 

Armada 1750

Edited by sonyu

8 hours ago, MrMateczko said:

Why not just unplug the fan and underclock the CPU? (might require modding BIOS to avoid CPU fan error if it causes a system halt)

You can use CrystalCPUID on 9x for this and there's plenty of software for DOS to slow down the CPU in it.

My ThinkPad T42p has Intel 855PM chipset and it seems to be the latest one from Intel that is fully officially supported under 98.

I should get motivated and test some of this.

Sonyu is aiming at 1Ghz, for the lowest speed. That makes it a little harder. But, the VIA laptop, near the beginning of the debate, likely performs near or less than a PIII 650-850Mhz mobile CPU. So that might be something for Sonyu to consider. But, using a 1.4Ghz as an example, throttling down to 800Mhz may still require a fan. If you could get a higher speed CPU down to 800-ish, it might work. I do wonder what a better Heat sink might do.

Your suggestion of the Intel GPU is probably the right path. Nvidia and ATI/Radeon GPUs will probably get much hotter. S3, Via, and Intel would be better.

Edited by awkduck

@awkduck thanks, 

holy s**t I just found this one, I never knew about it. sadly it have a fan but it's incredible how you can put AGP gpus on it. using the dock which is the size of a full desktop more or less haha

16 minutes ago, awkduck said:

I should get motivated and test some of this.

Sonyu is aiming at 1Ghz, for the lowest speed. That makes it a little harder. But, the VIA laptop, near the beginning of the debate, likely performs near or less than a PIII 650-850Mhz mobile CPU. So that might be something for Sonyu to consider. But, using a 1.4Ghz as an example, throttling down to 800Mhz may still require a fan. If you could get a higher speed CPU down to 800-ish, it might work. I do wonder what a better Heat sink might do.

Your suggestion of the Intel GPU is probably the right path. Nvidia and ATI/Radeon GPUs will probably get much hotter. S3, Via, and Intel would be better.

I think I just need to try different VIA HyperionPro drivers versions and maybe a Kernel Ex or as much updates as I can on W98 or WME to get the gpu working

cause the comment of the HP user in vogons isn't bad at all.. I think there is an option to get it working... 

Edited by sonyu

The best match, I have seen, Is the Panasonic ToughBook CF-28. There are different models, some fall under the aim. It is also not as nice looking, compared to some of the others. You can get a Display with 1024x768 (touchscreen only has 800x600) Intel 830MG (up to 32Mb), CPU Pentium-M (maybe III) @ 1Ghz-800Mhz, AC97 audio, Maximum memory of 512Mb, Up to 10hrs (with two batteries, 4hrs with one), 2 PCMCIA slots, but I can't tell for certain if it is USB 1.1 or 2. I'm guessing, if Pentium-M, it would be USB2. A 800Mhz Pentium III, might have USB1.1.

If it was USB1.1, a PCMCIA card would fix that. But I have bough some PCMCIA, cards that don't always work reliably.

The issue with a ToughBook, is getting one in good shape and including the harddrive caddie. A nice one can sometimes be too expensive. These machines have been used by the Construction, Police, and Military. Some of the used ones are a bit worn.

Being a nitpicker, I often dislike Laptops with on-board memory. If that memory goes bad, you are stuck with it; unless you are skilled in circuit board repair. The Toughbook has 256Mb on-board with a slot for 256Mb expansion.

Note: I don't know how well the Intel 830MG performs, with 3D. I'm just assuming, that with up to 32Mb of unified memory, it does fine.

Edited by awkduck

5 minutes ago, sonyu said:

I think I just need to try different VIA HyperionPro drivers versions and maybe a Kernel Ex or as much updates as I can on W98 or WME to get the gpu working

cause the comment of the HP user in vogons isn't bad at all.. I think there is an option to get it working... 

Then you could let us know how to do it :) It is always interesting to see peoples experience, with machines I don't own.

Edited by awkduck

10 minutes ago, awkduck said:

The best match, I have seen, Is the Panasonic ToughBook CF-28. There are different models, some fall under the aim. It is also not as nice looking, compared to some of the others. You can get a Display with 1024x768 Intel 830MG (up to 32Mb), CPU Pentium-M (maybe III) @ 1Ghz-800Mhz, AC97 audio, Maximum memory of 512Mb, Up to 10hrs (with two batteries, 4hrs with one), 2 PCMCIA slots, but I can't tell for certain if it is USB 1.1 or 2. I'm guessing, if Pentium-M, it would be USB2. A 800Mhz Pentium III, might have USB1.1.

If it was USB1.1, a PCMCIA card would fix that. But I have bough some PCMCIA, cards that don't always work reliably.

The issue with a ToughBook, is getting one in good shape and including the harddrive caddie. A nice one can sometimes be too expensive. These machines have been used by the Construction, Police, and Military. Some of the used ones are a bit worn.

Being a nitpicker, I often dislike Laptops with on-board memory. If that memory goes bad, you are stuck with it; unless you are skilled in circuit board repair. The Toughbook has 256Mb on-board with a slot for 256Mb expansion.

So it doesn't have a fan?

Well, I just seen all Thinkpads have a connector for the dock, maybe I can find one with lower cpu

1 hour ago, sonyu said:

So it doesn't have a fan?

No fan. They are sometimes used in the desert. You cannot have sand blowing into the fan vent. Many models are said to survive being dropped into water, by design. The harddrive caddie, and the rest of the system, are designed to resist moderate impact.

They have some office models, they have fans. But you can tell by the simple appearance, that it those are not "rugged" laptops.

I've had the CF-29 and Cf-18. No fans. I bought a "non-functional" CF-28. I gutted it, to use the shell, for a custom "Banana Pi" laptop build. It had no fan.

I've had a "Pentium I" (133Mhz) and two "Pentium II" (450Mhz) Thinkpads. The Pentium II laptops had NeoMagic audio/video (no 3D) and fans. You could install 512Mb of ram, 47*Mb could be seen (472?). The firmware update didn't fix that. They didn't have Ethernet.

The "Pentium I" had NeoMagic video and I believe Crystal Semiconductor audio (some SoundBlaster support), and no fan. I had over 64Mb of ram, in it. But I doubt it supported up to 512Mb. It also did not have Ethernet.

You might be able to find a "Pentium II" Thinkpad without a fan. Could be harder to find one that has 3D and no fan, but possible(?). Some 3D chips, back then, didn't even have heatsinks.

The issue with Thinkpads, is that they have a large "Fan Club". It can be harder to find the really nice ones. I very much like the S series (30/31). The R and A series are okay too. The I1400/I1500 are also kinda neat.

Edited by awkduck

12 hours ago, MrMateczko said:

might require modding BIOS to avoid CPU fan error if it causes a system halt

I don't know how the, variable speed, fans are wired. I think they are three pin. There may be a way to trick the bios. It may be enough to just pass the post test. It doesn't seem like they test all speeds and performance. I haven't played with it yet. I have a T40 I could test on, or maybe a T41; if it is functional.

How can I confirm this is fanless 100% as an user said on vogons?

Sony vaio Model

PCG-V505DX

Sony Vaio PCG-V505DX

12" 1024x768 4:3 display
Microsoft Windows Millinium Edition
Intel Pentium M 1.4GHz
ATI Mobility Radeon 9200 128MB
40GB 5200 RPM PATA HDD
1GB DDR RAM
Yamaha AC-XG Audio
Intel Proset Wireless 2300AG
DVD-ROM Drive

"In terms of heat the machine is a fanless design which outputs minimal heat apparently sinking most of it into the bottom of the chassis. I have had no thermal related issues nor have I encountered any thermal throttling."

https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?t=55562

Strange cause it appears here with a fan

https://www.insidemylaptop.com/upgrade-hard-drive-sony-vaio-pcg-v505dxp/

Maybe same model name has different hardware config...

Edited by sonyu

The best I have found so far, is that it has an application (probably Win2k/XP) that lets you control the CPU and fan speed. Many laptops have such an application. Maybe theirs offers a low power fanless setting.

Unlikeliness - That GPU probably needs to be fanned.

Potential - There are versions with Pentium-M and Pentium-4. Pentium-M is usually higher processing potential, with less voltage. But I don't actually know that much about mobile Pentium-4. I avoided them, after a friends P4 Thinkpad got so hot it warped the fan vents.

The Pentium-M reverted back to earlier high-end Pentium-III designs; which in turn paved the way for core-duo and so on.