Immortality: A curse or a blessing?

NullEntity

I really do like to ponder the hard questions and recently I heard this comedian (i forgot his name) say that if he was immortal he'd just keep getting new friends

anyways do you think Immortality is a curse or a blessing? if it was possible that is

Curse, especially in this toxic and violent society. And you'd have to trick yourself to prevent things from getting old, which can be a problem as it is. Working the same old boring job forever? Living with anhedonia forever? Etc etc.

That said, the process of getting to the other side...nobody knows how it'll go...nobody comes back to tell the tale.

https://time.com/6246864/reverse-aging-scientists-discover-milestone/

Edited by UCyborg

A huge difference would exist if only you are immortal and other mortals.
It would be a sad life because you would see loved ones around you grow old and die.
If on the other hand everyone were immortal it would probably be different,certainly less sad.

3 minutes ago, Sampei.Nihira said:

If on the other hand everyone were immortal

But...imagine the number of people and other creatures still growing...multiplying without the available solution...not good. So mortality is a blessing - I'm for it.

Unfortunately I'm yet not completely immortal, but I'm heading in the right direction. I have my ancestors' spellbok and it works.

I'll not go into the detalis, but I already made myself 20 years younger, it's cool, I'm satisfied.

My opinion it's very good.  As of now, I can only harvest energy (leech) , the subjects need to be not far away.

I'm still learning, but the ultimate goal is to take it to another level (like suck the life force).

It's yet another one of my hobbies, along with computers , Windows Vista and making new friends. 

EDIT: maybe I will try to perform it over a distance soon.

Edited by D.Draker

3 hours ago, msfntor said:

But...imagine the number of people and other creatures still growing...multiplying without the available solution...not good. So mortality is a blessing - I'm for it.

Yes, very true, I'm all up for depopulation !

6 hours ago, D.Draker said:

Yes, very true, I'm all up for depopulation !

D.D. the would-be self-harmer, deigns to joke....

Natural death, not depopulation, that was of course what I wanted to pass on as the best solution...

6 hours ago, Sampei.Nihira said:

A huge difference would exist if only you are immortal and other mortals.
It would be a sad life because you would see loved ones around you grow old and die.

Indeed, it already happens. I'm the youngest in my family, yay...

This bit reminded me of Doctor Who series, where protagonist is the Time Lord, he travels with human companions. Time Lords live for a long time, several centuries at least. I remember there was a scene about this issue of losing people.

Of course it is a blessing. People play down the value of immortality because it is out of their reach. One purpose of death and regrowth is to drive evolution forward. We don't subject ourselves to natural selection anymore by helping weak or sick people make children with invasive medicine and social support. The population is already declining overall because raising children is too expensive and painful. One could still commit sucide if he was immortal. It doesn't mean complete indestructibility because that would violate the laws of physics. Look at it from another perspective. If your loved ones were immortal, they wouldn't suffer from degenerative diseases.

10 hours ago, msfntor said:

D.D. the would-be self-harmer, deigns to joke....

Natural death, not depopulation, that was of course what I wanted to pass on as the best solution...

My friend, in that case , I'm up for the both of them ! Yes, I agree with you - natural death would be much more humane.