Windows Photo Gallery update for Vista

trancer03

I recently had to re-install my Vista and got updates from i430vx.net, but obviously it didn't update Windows Photo Gallery!

When I start slideshow, the picture is pixelated and there is a control bar on the bottom. I don't remember it to be that way when I had my updates automatically installed from Microsoft servers before Aug. 2020. All that makes me think I have a really old version of WPG. I also don't know how to check the version, and when I try to check for updates, it tells me that I have the latest version.

WPG screenshot.jpg

Edited by trancer03

I have every update that GHM put in his repository and mine looks exactly the same as yours. WPG isn't a good option, it looks like it downscales the resolution of the picture. I just tried to open some photos taken with my phone and they look awful, not to mention it doesn't even work with really high resolutions like 12000x9000 (only in slideshow mode but it still downscales) which is the max my phone can shoot at

Edited by winvispixp

The only update for Photo Gallery AFAIK was part of Windows Live Essentials, which was formerly offered as an optional Windows update but was deprecated by Microsoft in January 2017. To my surprise, searching Microsoft Update Catalog actually found something:

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=Windows Live Essentials

7 hours ago, trancer03 said:

I recently had to re-install my Vista and got updates from i430vx.net, but obviously it didn't update Windows Photo Gallery!

When I start slideshow, the picture is pixelated and there is a control bar on the bottom. I don't remember it to be that way when I had my updates automatically installed from Microsoft servers before Aug. 2020. All that makes me think I have a really old version of WPG. I also don't know how to check the version, and when I try to check for updates, it tells me that I have the latest version.

WPG screenshot.jpg

if you ever need help with anything windows vista related I'm always here to help!

Edited by legacyfan

37 minutes ago, mina7601 said:

The Windows Live Essentials installer on Microsoft Update Catalog is the web version, which unfortunately doesn't work since January 10, 2017.

:( 1.1 MB does sound much too small. For alternatives to Photo Gallery, look under heading Video & Photo Editing Software at https://msfn.org/board/topic/175262-last-versions-of-software-for-windows-vista-and-windows-server-2008/.

On 2/26/2023 at 11:02 AM, winvispixp said:

I have the offline installer for WLE 2011 and i'm pretty sure i installed it already, will check later

I did too, but Windows Life Photo Gallery is not the same as Windows Photo Gallery. I can clearly remember that I used a very good version of WPG that didn't downscale the resolution of the pictures, and it wasn't WLPG!

On 2/26/2023 at 3:20 AM, trancer03 said:

I recently had to re-install my Vista and got updates from i430vx.net....when I try to check for updates, it tells me that I have the latest version.

I never used that method, but did you select the Windows Update setting to “Give me recommended updates the same way I receive important updates”? If not, you may have plenty of security patches but e.g. no Platform Update components. You could check that box and search for updates again. Sorry, but I don’t know of any specific updates that affected Photo Gallery.

59 minutes ago, Vistapocalypse said:

I never used that method, but did you select the Windows Update setting to “Give me recommended updates the same way I receive important updates”? If not, you may have plenty of security patches but e.g. no Platform Update components. You could check that box and search for updates again. Sorry, but I don’t know of any specific updates that affected Photo Gallery.

I have “Give me recommended updates the same way I receive important updates” as well as "Give me updates for Microsoft products and check for new optional Microsoft software when I update Windows" checked, but I'm afraid that i430vx.net doesn't provide optional updates!

On 2/28/2023 at 8:56 AM, winvispixp said:

try legacy update! I never used it, but a few youtubers presented it, so it might be worth trying 

I get error: 80244008 SOAPCLIENT_PARSEFAULT_ERROR - SOAP client failed to parse a SOAP fault.

What does that supposed to mean?

On 2/26/2023 at 12:09 PM, legacyfan said:

if you ever need help with anything windows vista related I'm always here to help!

I also did what described below, but I can't get updates installed neither by pkgmgr nor dism++! My post is at the end of thread.

Edited by trancer03

On 2/26/2023 at 12:09 PM, legacyfan said:

Instead of changing your picture all the time, could you help me, please?

35 minutes ago, trancer03 said:

Instead of changing your picture all the time, could you help me, please?

what is it you need help with @trancer03? Edit:from what ive seen your having issues with install photo gallery thru dism++ right? (if that's not right please tell me so I can know what to do)

Edited by legacyfan