Nero 7 install on 98SE

justacruzr2

This is the other problem I'm having with 98SE (aside from the Java thing).  Nero 7 installs but it installs everything.  All I want is Nero Express (the burner) and Nero Cover Designer.  I remember that early in the install you are given the choice of which features to install.  It gave me the options when I installed it in ME and just last summer it did the same in XP.  But now I'm not getting the option menu in 98SE. Anyone know what's going on? Boy is 98SE fussy.

18 hours ago, justacruzr2 said:

This is the other problem I'm having with 98SE (aside from the Java thing).  Nero 7 installs but it installs everything.  All I want is Nero Express (the burner) and Nero Cover Designer.  I remember that early in the install you are given the choice of which features to install.  It gave me the options when I installed it in ME and just last summer it did the same in XP.  But now I'm not getting the option menu in 98SE. Anyone know what's going on? Boy is 98SE fussy.

It might just be a re-occurrence, of the Java issue. I bet there is a file "Nero.msi". I don't know this is certain, for your case.

I downloaded a Nero7 and extracted the contents (7-zip), to find that it uses the "Windows Installer".

It could be that you are installing edge 98se supported software, were configuration for older systems may have lacked attention. Or, maybe something is wrong with the system's "Windows Installer". Again, as of now, neither is certain

It may be it a bit extreme, but you could modify the MSI to function the same on 98se, as it does on newer systems. No guarantee that will work. Also, as mentioned in the Java thread, you could make a portable application.

If it is "Specifically" Win98se causing the problem, then its probably the "Windows Installer" (broken?). Historically, newer software is written less and less compatible, towards older systems. To the eager new shinny application user, if the application failed to load, it was obviously the old version of Windows at fault.

Ah, the cycle of replacement. How it drains the poor and ignorant, while blessing the cunning and wealthy. Don't take me too seriously here. I'm just over dramatizing the reality of commercial progress. Buy it, you need it. Buy it again, you need it again. We are the ones using the technology, right? Its not the other way around? All my drama, and we'll find out it was a bad harddisk. I actually thought about comparing Java installer file hashes. But I doubt the harddisk is the problem. :)

Edited by awkduck

4 hours ago, awkduck said:

It might just be a re-occurrence, of the Java issue. I bet there is a file "Nero.msi". I don't know this is certain, for your case.

I downloaded a Nero7 and extracted the contents (7-zip), to find that it uses the "Windows Installer".

It could be that you are installing edge 98se supported software, were configuration for older systems may have lacked attention. Or, maybe something is wrong with the system's "Windows Installer". Again, as of now, neither is certain

It may be it a bit extreme, but you could modify the MSI to function the same on 98se, as it does on newer systems. No guarantee that will work. Also, as mentioned in the Java thread, you could make a portable application.

If it is "Specifically" Win98se causing the problem, then its probably the "Windows Installer" (broken?). Historically, newer software is written less and less compatible, towards older systems. To the eager new shinny application user, if the application failed to load, it was obviously the old version of Windows at fault.

Ah, the cycle of replacement. How it drains the poor and ignorant, while blessing the cunning and wealthy. Don't take me too seriously here. I'm just over dramatizing the reality of commercial progress. Buy it, you need it. Buy it again, you need it again. We are the ones using the technology, right? Its not the other way around? All my drama, and we'll find out it was a bad harddisk. I actually thought about comparing Java installer file hashes. But I doubt the harddisk is the problem. :)

You know...that's exactly what I was thinking.  Everything else I've installed has had no problems including all the 3rd party apps I've installed which are the same as what's on ME.  These 2 things have been the only difficulty.  And what is curiously interesting is that these are both German applications (anything AG or GmBH is of German origin).  Please no one take that the wrong way.  I just mean that they might have a different way of coding over there.  Java and Nero are the only ones I've seen that use that unusual install menu.

13 minutes ago, justacruzr2 said:

You know...that's exactly what I was thinking.  Everything else I've installed has had no problems including all the 3rd party apps I've installed which are the same as what's on ME.  These 2 things have been the only difficulty.  And what is curiously interesting is that these are both German applications (anything AG or GmBH is of German origin).  Please no one take that the wrong way.  I just mean that they might have a different way of coding over there.  Java and Nero are the only ones I've seen that use that unusual install menu.

Also, this is the Nero 7 that comes bundled with a new CD/DVD drive (the NOT FOR RESALE version).  I did find some install options/switches yesterday on the ITPro website and I copied them into a Notepad file.  But they were talking about deploying it in a company network setting so I'm not sure if that Nero 7 is different than mine and whether those install options will work with the version I have.  But it's worth a try.  As for the MSI, it is the correct version (I think it's 2.0.2600.2) and the same one as ME but this is the first app so far that has used it.  You might be right about corruption (broken?).  Sorry, I take that back.  The Jave 5 Update 7 did use it so I would guess it's OK.

Edited by justacruzr2
More Info

4 hours ago, justacruzr2 said:

As for the MSI, it is the correct version (I think it's 2.0.2600.2)

Something else may be conflicting with it. I initially thought KernelEx was a possibility, since setting compatibility on the initial EXE installer wouldn't matter. Maybe MSI execution continues under default KernelEx settings. But you've tried with KernelEx disabled, so no dice.

19 hours ago, awkduck said:

Something else may be conflicting with it. I initially thought KernelEx was a possibility, since setting compatibility on the initial EXE installer wouldn't matter. Maybe MSI execution continues under default KernelEx settings. But you've tried with KernelEx disabled, so no dice.

I've been thinking along similar lines also.  I have this suspicion that it might be Norton Utilities.  It has several monitors going during a session that intercept files when they are deleted and protects them (Norton Protection).  I guess it's possible that it somehow interferes with these 2 installs.  So Last night I renamed the Norton Utilities folder and you'll never guess what it did on restart.  It changed the registry entry to point to the newly re-named folder.  Pretty sneaky Huh?  I guess the only way to test that suspicion is to uninstall it.

3 minutes ago, justacruzr2 said:

I guess the only way to test that suspicion is to uninstall it.

Probably the easiest way :)

With some guru tools, you could watch how everything interacts during execution. Depending on the day, that might be a bit too far :)

Like running the system in a VM, stepping through and noting every interation/opcode.

Would be interesting, if it was Norton Utilities.

21 hours ago, awkduck said:

Probably the easiest way :)

With some guru tools, you could watch how everything interacts during execution. Depending on the day, that might be a bit too far :)

Like running the system in a VM, stepping through and noting every interation/opcode.

Would be interesting, if it was Norton Utilities.

So such a tool exists?  I  have wanted something like that for awhile.  With that you can zero in on exactly what is causing the problem.  When you step thru you can see what instruction caused the error and then examine that instruction to see why.  I have that kind of app for my 1st computer.  A TI99/4a.  Yes it still works and I have it fully configured (hardware-wise) as far as it can go.  The app is called Explorer and you can toggle between the detailed info screen (which includes the registers and instructions being executed and the user GUI which allows you to see the changes made as you step thru the instructions.  Also have all the old games that ran on it and I also have a program that will read those game files and transfer them to my other computers.  That will allow me to 1) burn them to disk so I can protect them from loss (they are on 5 1/4" floppies)  and 2) run them on my "more modern" computers using the VM that emulates a TI 994/a on an IBM clone type computer.  There are actually a couple of those emulators out there and they work very well.  The one I have is PC99.  Do you know the names of any of those tools?

On 2/16/2023 at 6:27 PM, awkduck said:

SoftICE comes to mind. The Bochs Emulator. IDA(pro).

Thanks for the info.  And we can close this thread.  The info I got off of the ITPro website worked and Nero 7 is installed just the way I wanted it.  Thanks for your and everyone else's help.  Now just the Java remains.