Best Windows Vista Antivirus With The Extended Kernel?

legacyfan

- CSSE - Common Sense Security Essentials (self explanatory) 

Don't open random attachments, check the integrity of the websites you're getting executables from, check digital signatures, and so forth. Show file extensions in Windows Explorer. Ear on the side of caution with p2p. Use a good content blocker in browser, like uBlock Origin. Don't relive the IE6 glory days and mash every big green download button you cross paths with. 

- VirusTotal

Really awesome for scanning executables and installer files. 

- COMODO Cleaning Essentials

Pretty decent portable AV scanner. Runs as far back as Win2k with extended kernel, gets frequent database updates all without needing new clients. Has a Killswitch tool as well, which is just a big process list

- Unchecky

Not an AV tool per-se. It just unchecks most ad offers in junk ridden installers, in case you miss the tic boxes yourself. Can help prevent PUPs for the untrained eye.

- Malwarebytes 3.5

Older client, still gets database updates. 1.x clients worked until recent. See pertinent thread: https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/191650-malwarebytes-3-frequently-asked-questions/#comment-1243649

Edited by docR

3 hours ago, docR said:

- Malwarebytes 3.5

Have you actually used Malwarebytes Premium 3.5.1 on Vista with extended kernel? (Of course it is well-known to have supported vanilla Vista.) Malwarebytes Free is not a real-time antivirus, but even that would be interesting to hear about - particularly since you would have to use the same installer IIRC.

Edited by Vistapocalypse

23 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

Have you actually used Malwarebytes Premium 3.5.1 on Vista with extended kernel? (Of course it is well-known to have supported vanilla Vista.) Malwarebytes Free is not a real-time antivirus, but even that would be interesting to hear about - particularly since you would have to use the same installer IIRC.

Never said it was real time, unpaid. Nevertheless, I haven't tried versions of MBAM beyond 1.8.x in a good number of years. I used those builds because my key was indefinite, because they predated the annual subscription-based model. When that came to an end, so did my using Malwarebytes.

40 minutes ago, docR said:

I haven't tried versions of MBAM beyond 1.8.x in a good number of years...

I was attached to Malwarebytes Free 2.2.1, but definition updates ended nearly a year ago so there is no point in reminiscing about versions older than 3.5.1 (which is nearly 5 years old itself). Malwarebytes Free was a very good PUP removal tool, but - unlike Kaspersky Free or Avast Free - it was simply not an antivirus. I never paid for Malwarebytes Premium because better antivirus solutions were available for free, but I still wonder if it works with the extended kernel.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/25/2023 at 6:52 PM, Vistapocalypse said:

I'm working on doing some more testing on my new vista x86 install and have been looking into other antivirus to test on it

Kaspersky if you don't mind the NATOsphere FUD. Their scan is pretty powerful and does not require installs, the only problem is that i haven't used my Vista machine for a while to test if it works now.

Edited by Eddie Phizika

1 hour ago, Eddie Phizika said:

Kaspersky if you don't mind the NATOsphere FUD. Their scan is pretty powerful and does not require installs, the only problem is that i haven't used my Vista machine for a while to test if it works now.

for me I would definitely recommend panda antivirus it's light weight and is clear of any unwanted extras added in (it your choice thou) 

• 2 months later...
On 2/12/2023 at 10:02 PM, winvispixp said:

I use Kaspersky Free 18.0.0.405 (despite the hate for it being "russian spyware") on my dedicated vista machine and it works great! There were some problems in the past with firefox and by that I mean it crashed when it tried to scan the page I was loading (I guess); it might still have this issue, but I don't use firefox anymore so you can try that for yourself and let us know
I have the offline installer if you want; As it is the free version, I don't think there's any problem with sharing it 
https://archive.org/details/kfa18.0.0.405aben_es_fr_12643_202211

hey, i tried running the installer you sent but i kept getting this error. any fixes?image.png.b73e56708f12b7edfbec61098d1ed4cb.png

On 6/3/2023 at 3:29 AM, molly said:

hey, i tried running the installer you sent but i kept getting this error. any fixes?

do you have the ex kernel patch already applied? i usually install kaspersky (and any other programs that work on unmodified vista) before installing that

On 2/12/2023 at 1:02 PM, winvispixp said:

I use Kaspersky Free 18.0.0.405...on my dedicated vista machine and it works great!....I have the offline installer if you want; As it is the free version, I don't think there's any problem with sharing it

No need because that installer is still available from Kaspersky’s website (along with various paid versions that supported Vista):

https://products.s.kaspersky-labs.com/

Only Kaspersky Free 19.0.0.1088 is hard to find, but thanks to AstroSkipper it is now available to try:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/5b41tc67a29vvbm/KFA_19.0.0.1088.7z/file

Edited by Vistapocalypse