Good SSD Option For The HP Elite 8300? (To Replace The HDD)

my new computer (the hp elite 8300) is on its way and I'm working on buying the upgrades needed to turn it into a cheap gaming pc for vista and was wondering what the best option for an ssd would be? I know it has sata III ports but would an ssd work on these? If anyone could help with this it would be much appreciated 

Edited by legacyfan

3 hours ago, legacyfan said:

I'm working on buying the upgrades needed to fix up the computer 

Sorry not sure I understood correctly, your new (?) computer needs to be fixed already ? And it hasn't even arrived ?

I'd better save up for a decent GPU than SSD. 

the computer is still on it's way here and im looking into buying the stuff to improve it more (to turn it into a vista gaming rig) and im asking what type of ssd would work good on a sata III port 

Edited by legacyfan

• legacyfan changed the title to Good SSD Option For The HP Elite 8300? (To Replace The HDD)

I forgot to mention this computer can't do m.2 (its missing the ports needed for them it can only do SSD or HDD) it is from 2013 so its kind of expected on this type. and I open to other options to put in this if anyone has a good suggestion

Edited by legacyfan

You can probably do with any SSD as a replacement for HDD. A stealthy problem with SSDs is that they slow down if too much data is written to it. This happens because they initially write it in a fast mode that use up more memory cells, and then reorganize it later. But in a typical usage scenario, where you write games to the disk once and then load them many times, you are only concerned about the read performance. It is probably not a good idea to write virtual memory like the Windows swap file or Photoshop scratch disk to an SSD, but get more RAM instead.

One more thing I forgot. Get a disk with spare capacity. Then you can write more to it before it slows down. If you think you will ever fill your disk to 200 GB, buy 512 GB. Basic SSDs are now affordable.