Future Of Firefox Quantum On Windows 7

legacyfan

6 hours ago, Jody Thornton said:

And all in an answer to my question.  So think about it, if I never pestered, we'd still be waiting for this news.

Thank you for speaking up! Mozilla definitely gets kudos from me for continuing to look out for 7/8.x users!
(And you get kudos from me for being persistent in getting a straight answer!)

I've been going all over the place with testing OSes...so far so good with Windows 11 on the old HP S5-1020. Didn't think it could be done, but it turns out 11 still supports my PC just fine when the installation hardware requirements are bypassed. Full driver support and everything.
It's slightly slower than 10 but is running quite well.
So the only limitation I face in the future is if programs start dropping support for the Pentium E6800's full instruction set. I've likely got better odds to win the Florida lottery twice than to have that happen anytime soon, so I'm definitely feeling good about the future.
Curious to see what happens with 12...if it's a radical enough departure from 10/11, I'll skip it and stick with 10/11 until the bitter end.

9 hours ago, cmccaff1 said:

I'll skip it and stick with 10/11 until the bitter end.

No matter how we turn it, Windows 10 and 11 will be the next 7 and 8.1, who are the next XP and Vista. 

Windows 10 will probably receive Firefox Updates till 2029 if not 2030 (four years after EOL) and Chrome till 2028 (?)

5 hours ago, yoltboy01 said:

No matter how we turn it, Windows 10 and 11 will be the next 7 and 8.1, who are the next XP and Vista. 

Windows 10 will probably receive Firefox Updates till 2029 if not 2030 (four years after EOL) and Chrome till 2028 (?)

I would not be surprised if windows 11 got until 2040 at least (with extended support if that happens at all)

Edited by legacyfan

• legacyfan changed the title to Future Of Firefox Quantum On Windows 7
23 hours ago, cmccaff1 said:

Thank you for speaking up! Mozilla definitely gets kudos from me for continuing to look out for 7/8.x users!
(And you get kudos from me for being persistent in getting a straight answer!)

I've been going all over the place with testing OSes...so far so good with Windows 11 on the old HP S5-1020. Didn't think it could be done, but it turns out 11 still supports my PC just fine when the installation hardware requirements are bypassed. Full driver support and everything.
It's slightly slower than 10 but is running quite well.
So the only limitation I face in the future is if programs start dropping support for the Pentium E6800's full instruction set. I've likely got better odds to win the Florida lottery twice than to have that happen anytime soon, so I'm definitely feeling good about the future.
Curious to see what happens with 12...if it's a radical enough departure from 10/11, I'll skip it and stick with 10/11 until the bitter end.

if you want newer more secure browsers windows 10/11/12 will someday be the only options (I put windows 12 as It could eventually be another option) (or switch to linux full time)

Edited by legacyfan

19 hours ago, legacyfan said:

if you want newer more secure browsers windows 10/11/12 will someday be the only options (I put windows 12 as It could eventually be another option) (or switch to linux full time)

No doubt about it. I'm ready, willing and able to transition to newer OSes in the future...just trying everything I can and evaluating all of my options. I went back to 7 not too long ago, and I think I'm just going to go back to XP because it's the fastest OS I can run on this PC with full driver support and the ability to run modern software without kernel extenders.
The plan is to stay on XP for now as I can still use it for my daily tasks (web browsing still works quite well...and using UA tricks to get the mobile versions of websites should keep 360 and other browsers useful for a few more years at least).
I'll more than likely move to 7 if XP truly becomes utterly & completely obsolete for modern-day web browsing (I refuse to mess with kernel extenders, so if that's the only option remaining then I will move on from XP) and later to Windows 10/11/12. I'm not sure if it will be possible to use 12 on my old PC...but if not, I'm staying with 10/11 until the end.

On 3/29/2023 at 6:08 AM, cmccaff1 said:

but it turns out 11 still supports my PC just fine when the installation hardware requirements are bypassed. Full driver support and everything.

Even Microsoft themselves have a guide on how to bypass hardware requirements.

8 minutes ago, cmccaff1 said:

No doubt about it. I'm ready, willing and able to transition to newer OSes in the future...just trying everything I can and evaluating all of my options. I went back to 7 not too long ago, and I think I'm just going to go back to XP because it's the fastest OS I can run on this PC with full driver support and the ability to run modern software without kernel extenders.
The plan is to stay on XP for now as I can still use it for my daily tasks (web browsing still works quite well...and using UA tricks to get the mobile versions of websites should keep 360 and other browsers useful for a few more years at least).
I'll more than likely move to 7 if XP truly becomes utterly & completely obsolete for modern-day web browsing (I refuse to mess with kernel extenders, so if that's the only option remaining then I will move on from XP) and later to Windows 10/11/12. I'm not sure if it will be possible to use 12 on my old PC...but if not, I'm staying with 10/11 until the end.

windows 12 apparently already has a code name (Hudson Valley) https://winaero.com/hudson-valley-appears-to-be-the-windows-12-codename/amp/

13 minutes ago, mina7601 said:

Even Microsoft themselves have a guide on how to bypass hardware requirements.

I'm not surprised! There was definitely a backlash when people found out about the minimum requirements for 11 at first. I'm honestly impressed that 10/11 can run on this PC as well as they do...so it's great to have them available as options for the future. For now I'm quite interested to see how far 360 and other XP/Vista-compatible browsers can be extended with UA tricks. That should also work well for 7+ users going forward!

Edited by cmccaff1

• 1 month later...