Chromium forks and stuttering video playback

derpo

On Windows XP it seems like Chinese Chromium forks don't tend to play all that nicely with videos... I've noticed that Firefox forks seem to handle this better, oddly enough. A good example of this is Tenor 'GIF's which are actually just looping MP4s.

https://tenor.com/en-GB/view/uzume-tennouboshi-neptunia-mainichi-compile-heart-gif-23868039 Select the MP4 option in MiniBrowser, then select it in Chrome 49, then select it in any Firefox fork, and you'll see what I mean...

(Note: I have K-Lite 13.8.5 installed and I have it also set to use HTTP/HTTPS stream source, I hope this isn't a problem.)

Edited by derpo

• derpo changed the title to Chromium forks and stuttering video playback

Chinese forks have their own codecs, so you don't need any codecs at all. One exception is chinese Opera that doesn't have its own H264.

But then again, MP4 is not a codec per se, it's a container (somewhat similar to MKV, etc). Inside of it you will find H265, x264, H263 etc.

4 hours ago, D.Draker said:

But then again, MP4 is not a codec per se, it's a container (somewhat similar to MKV, etc). Inside of it you will find H265, x264, H263 etc.

Yeah, I'm not sure what codec tenor is using for its video-gifs.

YouTube under invidious for instance is far less screwy, which I presume is some form of h264.

At least now I know k-lite isn't causing some kind of conflict, so thanks about that. ^o^

Edited by derpo

7 hours ago, derpo said:

On Windows XP it seems like Chinese Chromium forks don't tend to play all that nicely with videos... I've noticed that Firefox forks seem to handle this better, oddly enough. A good example of this is Tenor 'GIF's which are actually just looping MP4s.

https://tenor.com/en-GB/view/uzume-tennouboshi-neptunia-mainichi-compile-heart-gif-23868039 Select the MP4 option in MiniBrowser, then select it in Chrome 49, then select it in any Firefox fork, and you'll see what I mean...

(Note: I have K-Lite 13.8.5 installed and I have it also set to use HTTP/HTTPS stream source, I hope this isn't a problem.)

ive had issues like this before with older browsers the fix for the issue was to install roytam1s ffmpeg fix for firefox and it seemed to of fixed the problem (at least for me it did)

Eh, I need Steam, so I'll probably head back to Windows 7 anyways.

(Garry's Mod actually officially runs on XP, yet because of Steam effectively blocking it from running on XP, you can't download/play it on there without a nonexistent client. --no-browser doesn't work because half the thing is embedded Chrome. Amazing.)

15 hours ago, derpo said:

Yeah, I'm not sure what codec tenor is using for its video-gifs.

YouTube under invidious for instance is far less screwy, which I presume is some form of h264.

At least now I know k-lite isn't causing some kind of conflict, so thanks about that. ^o^

You're welcome.

This is quite simple :

1st - for firefox, youtube usually serves H264 (less CPU hungry, so less stuttering).

2nd - for chrome, usually AV1, VP8, VP9, H265 (very CPU hungry).

You may try to play with the spoofing of the User Agent, but youtube can also identify the browser by some other means of fingerprinting.

I know there are extensions to tell youtube to use H264 1080p only, but never used them myself.