narrowing down my default browser for my Win10 setups

NotHereToPlayGames

Gorhill considers uMatrix a failure.
I don't think there are any extension developers who will port uMatrix to MV3 (assuming it will be possible,I'm pretty sure not) because the user base would be extremely limited

However you could run some tests with Speedomenter 2.1 with UBO Lite + I don't care about cookies.
Who knows maybe the test is faster.:D

Good work.

1 hour ago, Sampei.Nihira said:

Gorhill considers uMatrix a failure.

Yep, I'm aware.  But I seem to recall Gorhill also stating that this was "unfortunate".

UBO is taylored for the folks that don't want to be bothered with granular control.  I'll take the granular "nuisance" and the peace of mind that comes with it.  I do not like "trusting" OTHER PEOPLE'S "lists", which is the whole paradigm behind UBO.

2 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Yep, I'm aware.  But I seem to recall Gorhill also stating that this was "unfortunate".

UBO is taylored for the folks that don't want to be bothered with granular control.  I'll take the granular "nuisance" and the peace of mind that comes with it.  I do not like "trusting" OTHER PEOPLE'S "lists", which is the whole paradigm behind UBO.

You no longer depend mostly on 3rd-party filter lists to dictate what is blocked or not.

The static filter lists are still used to mop up whatever network requests is not blocked in this mode -- so double protection.

https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/wiki/Blocking-mode:-hard-mode

The times web page is an excellent example of profi cient use of Hard Mode.
In the test below I used AdGuard MV3 in Hard Mode + uBO Lite (only to block URL's tracking parameter).

The browser blocks 9 trackers + third-party cookies.
Adguard MV3 another 11 blocks.
Any network requests that may come through are blocked at DNS level.

I am doubly calm and already ready for the MV3 revolution.

1.jpg

Still not liking UBO even in this so-called "hard mode".

In uMatrix, I can allow the IMAGE to come in from ibb.co (your Times screencap) without enabling javascript on the same domain that hosted the image.

In UBO, once I allow the IMAGE, I also have to enable javascript and iframes from the same domain that hosted the image, it's "all or nothing".

I do not trust a site to serve me javascript just because I decide to trust the cite to send me a screencap.

Not really an issue for the MSFN example, but a GIGANTIC issue "out in the wild".

image.png.8a7729cc88d2815ffdb27266ea27f326.png

image.png.cd591ed14d7f021ec72a82b8f8cd8b20.png

I understand your state of mind.
I had the same "problems" when I abandoned Noscript (which works less well in Chrome than in Firefox):

Limitations on Chromium

The API exposed by Chromium to browser extension is not as powerful and flexible as its Mozilla-developed counterpart. This is already true in Manifest V2, and gets much worse with Manifest V3, especially hurting privacy and security innovation. Therefore, even if NoScript is compatible with most browsers, some of its most advanced features are available only on Firefox and its derivatives, such as the Tor Browser. In details, these are the current limitations imposed to NoScript by Chromium-based browsers such as Google Chrome, Edge or Vivaldi:

The Injection Checker XSS filter is disabled because there's no asynchronous blocking webRequest API

The Cross-tab Identity Leak Protection (TabGuard) is unavailable (same reason as above)

The LAN protection works for numeric IPs but cannot resolve domain names (no DNS API)

The same can be said of UBO, which works better in Firefox:

https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/wiki/uBlock-Origin-works-best-on-Firefox

I don't like to use outdated extensions with known open issues:

https://github.com/uBlockOrigin/uMatrix-issues/issues

the unknown ones could be many more and more serious for both privacy and security.

Edited by Sampei.Nihira

I might update my Firefox 96.0.3 to the latest 109.0, this version changed font rendering to be more consistent with system ClearType settings, like the old versions did and Pale Moon, SeaMonkey and other forks have done for the long time. Will have to look into updating my mods 'cause the rest of the browser looks all wrong! That's why I hate updating that sort of software 'cause customizations break all the time and can't be bothered with constant hassle of keeping up with "the latest and greatest".

https://i.redd.it/gt4oiy8byvx61.jpg

Aaanyway...

Firefox 96.0.3
spacer.png

Firefox 109.0
spacer.png

I still have Edge 94 installed for reference, but continue to despise the way Chromium's engine renders fonts on Windows and they still don't look right to my eyes, even with contrast altering extensions or the enhance contrast flag, I get slight pain in my eyes while reading. Seems that change with font rendering in Firefox may not last because most people just want another Chrome clone...https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/comments/10ed7o2/firefox_1090_released/

Speaking of fonts, there's a mod for older Windows 10 (and 11 with old taskbar) to have weather widget in the taskbar (ExplorerPatcher), which uses Edge WebView2. The fonts' blurriness make it stand-out in a bad way.

https://i.imgur.com/sUCxEHF.png

Will continue to use Pale Moon on the somewhat sane (read compatible) websites, which are fortunately still the most that I visit. There's not much on the modern internet for me anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

I would really love to learn how to "ungoogle" GDIChromium (which should in turn outline the process to basically "ungoogle" ANY chrome.dll as "ungoogle-ing" .pak files are fairly straightforward).

My attempts thus far have kinda bumped into a brick wall.

Unsure if this will be too great of an undertaking for my "intermediate" programming skills or not.

Any suggestions are welcomed.

On 1/23/2023 at 3:17 PM, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Perhaps you would have fun with ContentBlockHelper from far.whochan.com ... Web store link: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/contentblockhelper/ahnpejopbfnjicblkhclaaefhblgkfpd

Not for me.  The "overview" page repeats itself three times with the phrase "any annoying contents with easy methods".  If the author can't write an overview without repeating him/herself three times, then how can the app be any good?

The last words, "Start to subscribe", also tells me that it's not for me.  I'm not going to trust anybody's "list" but MINE.  :cool:

On 2/15/2023 at 6:59 PM, NotHereToPlayGames said:

The last words, "Start to subscribe", also tells me that it's not for me.  I'm not going to trust anybody's "list" but MINE.  :cool:

these are Japanese...

Then you could use it without any lists?