narrowing down my default browser for my Win10 setups

NotHereToPlayGames

@NotHereToPlayGames

Also check these flags + command line parameters if you want to increase performance which may not be measurable with Speedometer 2.1:

https://github.com/dreammjow/ChromiumHardening/blob/main/flags/flags.md

JITLess mode (check if enabled) decreases performance (but increases security).

Also important for the browser is the adblocker mode,in the case of UBO (Hard Mode) makes the web page load faster (but increases possible breakage).
Only a few people in the world are able to use Hard Mode efficiently.

https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/wiki/Blocking-mode

With MV3, UBO will be replaced by UBO Lite (no blocking mode).
With Adguard MV3, on the other hand, a blocking mode can be used.
Currently (that I know of) only I use Hard Mode + TLD's (necessary due to lack of a logger).

You can consider using NEXT DNS or AdGuard DNS to block ads,trackers,Cname, it affects browsing speed less than an extension.
But you will not have the cosmetic filters.

Edited by Sampei.Nihira

1 hour ago, Sampei.Nihira said:

@NotHereToPlayGames

Also check these flags + command line parameters if you want to increase performance which may not be measurable with Speedometer 2.1:

https://github.com/dreammjow/ChromiumHardening/blob/main/flags/flags.md

JITLess mode (check if enabled) decreases performance (but increases security).

Also important for the browser is the adblocker mode,in the case of UBO (Hard Mode) makes the web page load faster (but increases possible breakage).
Only a few people in the world are able to use Hard Mode efficiently.

https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/wiki/Blocking-mode

With MV3, UBO will be replaced by UBO Lite (no blocking mode).
With Adguard MV3, on the other hand, a blocking mode can be used.
Currently (that I know of) only I use Hard Mode + TLD's (necessary due to lack of a logger).

You can consider using NEXT DNS or AdGuard DNS to block ads,trackers,Cname, it affects browsing speed less than an extension.
But you will not have the cosmetic filters.

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm kind of not a fan of resorting to "hundreds" of flags (no, I didn't count how MASSIVE that list is, but it is GIGANTIC, and I will check via that list eventually).

My general philosophy is to find the "best performing" in a 'default state'.

Generally speaking, the fastest in "default" will also be the fastest in other configurations, provided the same configurations are being compared to each other.

I applaud the user-base and we all have our own preferences, but I myself prefer my Proxomitron and uMatrix setup and will "never" resort to anything UBO.

So far, my preference is leaning towards GDIChromium v96 x86 (even on x64 OS).

There are "newer" versions of GDIChromium, but I do not subscribe to always using the "newest" possible (I think we only shoot ourselves in our own foot when we fall prey to always wanting "newer").

I also like X-Chromium v105 x86 but it removes the ability to disable the "side bar" which I am NOT a fan of that added "clutter" in the toolbar.

I may be able to disable/remove that "clutter" once I start modding X-Chromium.

So far, I have opted to use GDIChromium but use it inside X-Chromium's "loader" (which may also be usable for 360Chrome, as far as that goes, the two loaders are very similar [360Chrome's is "smaller"]).

The GDI is not that big of a deal-maker/deal-breaker for me on Win10 - but GDI is a MUST for me on Win7 (which I rarely ever use nowadays anyway).

Either way, my next step is to "ungoogle" GDIChromium v96 and X-Chromium v105.

Odds are very high at this point that v96 will serve me well for the next couple of years before web sites start telling me to start using something "newer".

Technically, NONE of my web sites require anything "newer" than v86 - but there are much "faster" alternatives for Win10 without resorting to "cutting edge new".  :cool:

Edited by NotHereToPlayGames

uMatrix is an MV2 extension.
Its execution should sooner or later be prevented in chromium-based browsers.

....This means Chrome will stop running Manifest V2 extensions, even ones installed using ExtensionInstallForcelist.

Only in firefox-based browsers will MV2 and MV3 extensions be able to coexist.

https://www.ghacks.net/2023/01/17/firefox-109-manifest-v3-support-security-fixes-and-improvements/

So if you want to continue,in the future, to use uMatrix you will almost certainly have to choose a browser like Brave (perhaps Vivaldi) or switch to a Firefox-based browser.

I have no idea whether it will be possible to quickly convert an MV2 extension to MV3.
Too many factors come into play not only the new API but also the service workers....
Currently, Google's MV3 hiatus has ultimately also put on hold the active development of MV3 extensions available in the Chrome Store.

Some doubt also that too many MV3 extensions will be able to coexist together without generating problems for the browser.
And this is not only because of the current limit of 30000 guaranteed rules per extension.

I guess I'm not overly worried, to be honest.

I'm only "just now" starting to use Win10 and with no "time bombs" with 'older' Chrome and no "time bombs" with 'older' extensions (which I already have locally archived), I'm confident I can get SEVERAL years out of my existing setup.

Something similar to uMatrix will surely be available by the time I "need" to worry about MV3.

UBO does not meet my needs!  Surely I'm not the only one to see UBO as "inferior"?  Though "less granular" is probably a better word.