BINARY_REG value to normal plain text ASCII help

FranceBB

Hi there guys,

long time no see.

I'm still here and yep I'm still using XP, although with some compromises, but after all, aren't we all living with compromises?

Anyway, I found an old installation of XP from several years ago (it was a notebook I used to use at university and then I gave to my grandma when I didn't need it any longer).

She mostly uses it to transfer pictures from her compact camera to an HDD, closely following the steps I told her years ago and that she wrote down meticulously on a piece of paper.

Anyway, I need to retrieve a value my system stored long long time ago, in 2009.

Unfortunately I don't remember the value any longer, however I'm the admin of the PC and I can access the registry, the only "bad" thing about this is that the value is in 256bit BINARY_REG and not in plain text ASCII.

I saw that you guys have already done this for a guy in the Windows98SE section, so is there a way to do the same on XP?

The value is:

de406b9e19e531dbe6beba290e765c8a28bd9553694c930cac3f857fdbdd5ad7

Edited by FranceBB

Those are hex values, so - if they represent a readable string - they are somehow encoded/encrypted/transformed.

There are like a zillion ways this could have been done, maybe - just maybe - if you provide some actual info (name/path of the key, what the value should represent, etc.) then someone might know which specific encoding is it.

jaclaz