Windows Vista not working on Surface Pro 1

GD 2W10

On 1/7/2023 at 6:24 AM, Brickedandroid said:

3) Choose Target OS (XP, 2003, Vista or WIndows 7) for which OS Emu_Extender will be compiled.

Keep in mind that depending on the target operating system the way of exporting the functions changes, if a function already exists in the kernel it will be simply redirected without injecting emulation code

How do I do that? How do I integrate it into Vista? How do I make this work with graphics drivers?

1. Make corrections to target driver XXX.sys so that it loads ntoskrn8.sys instead of the original ntoskrnl.exe

2. If XXX.sys is driver made for Windows 8, change security_cookie to random value, security_cookie is constant 0x4EE640BB(x32) / 0x32A2DF2D992B(x64) inside file, change only first match !

How do I do that?

To compile the extender, you need another working PC running Windows 7, and then install the WDK 7.1.0 on that Windows 7 machine, and Notepad++ for editing the NTOSKRNL Emu_Extender source code files before compiling.

On 1/9/2023 at 2:13 AM, GD 2W10 said:

How do I do that?

And you also need Dependency Walker x64 to check for the missing dependency functions, and CFF Explorer to modify the PE-formatted files (e.g. .exe, .dll, .sys, etc.).

First, open CFF Explorer, and load the driver file (.sys) you're going to install. Then, go to the Optional Header section, and change all the minor versions to 0000 (if the major versions are 000A, change every of them to 0006). And then in Import Directory section, rename ntoskrnl.exe to ntoskrn8.sys. Save and overwrite the file, recalc the checksum in Rebuilder section, and save again. Don't forget to make a backup copy before modifying in CFF Explorer (rename xxx (2).sys to xxx.sys.bak). To check for the missing functions, open Dependency Walker, and load the previously modified driver file. If there are no critical issues, your driver is now ready to be installed.

Suggestions: If the driver file (.sys) is signed with certificate, you need to delete the certificate first using delcert.exe before modifying it to avoid corruptions or malfunctions. Here is the link:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/attachments/delcert-zip.105230/

Edited by Brickedandroid

On 1/3/2023 at 4:38 PM, GD 2W10 said:

Ivy Bridge. i5-3317U

that should work perfect then for windows vista (as long as you can get the integrated gpu to work with it) all ivybridge usually come with the hd 3000/4000 installed

Edited by legacyfan

1 hour ago, Brickedandroid said:

To compile the extender, you need another working PC running Windows 7, and then install the WDK 7.1.0 on that Windows 7 machine, and Notepad++ for editing the NTOSKRNL Emu_Extender source code files before compiling.

Do I need to have Windows 7? Or would Windows 11 be fine. I'm fine either way, as I have a 7 and 11 dualboot

9 hours ago, GD 2W10 said:

Do I need to have Windows 7? Or would Windows 11 be fine. I'm fine either way, as I have a 7 and 11 dualboot

Windows 7. If you can't use it as main OS (e.g. dualboot), you can install it in VM.

Edited by Brickedandroid

• 4 weeks later...

I was able to fix the problem. I tried a clean install of Server 2008 and it worked, all I needed to do was enable Narrator and change resolution. The screen then worked. I will be trying the same thing with regular Vista, which I expect to work. I plan to post a guide on how to install Vista on the Surface Pro 1, then move on to installing XP and maybe ReactOS if I can get XP working.