Windows Vista not working on Surface Pro 1

GD 2W10

Hi,

I am trying to install Windows Vista on my Surface Pro 1. I installed it similarly to the way I installed Windows 7

However, I installed it in a VM first with the files on another partition, then force installed Intel HD 4000 Graphics drivers, and USB 3.0 drivers. When I deleted the Windows 7 partition, and booted it on my Surface Pro 1 with the FlashBootPro EFI files, it booted successfully into Vista (it played the startup sound), but it hung at a black screen, and I am unable to see the screen. I have even tried connecting it to an external monitor, and still nothing happened.

Edited by Tripredacus
removed link

5 hours ago, Brickedandroid said:

Does the black screen only happen after you installed the Intel HD 4000 driver?

It happened before and after. I tried vanilla Vista (with Extended Kernel integrated), and Vista with Intel HD 4000 installed. Both boot into Windows (the Vista startup sound is played), but nothing like a mouse cursor, the Vista orb, or the logon screen shows up. I have also successfully been able to shutdown Vista, so it’s working, just nothing is showing on the display.

4 hours ago, GD 2W10 said:

It happened before and after. I tried vanilla Vista (with Extended Kernel integrated), and Vista with Intel HD 4000 installed. Both boot into Windows (the Vista startup sound is played), but nothing like a mouse cursor, the Vista orb, or the logon screen shows up. I have also successfully been able to shutdown Vista, so it’s working, just nothing is showing on the display.

So, since it's freshly installed, there was just a black screen? Did you ever saw at least the OOBE screen or the "Finishing Installation" step screen?

10 hours ago, Brickedandroid said:

So, since it's freshly installed, there was just a black screen? Did you ever saw at least the OOBE screen or the "Finishing Installation" step screen?

No. I installed Vista with Extended Kernel in a VM, installed drivers, captured with gimagex, then installed it on the Surface. It appears to hang on a black screen with no cursor, but it does boot into Vista.

Try re-make the Vista installation in VM but without the Intel HD 4000 driver installed, then re-capture into WIM file.

You could try using NTOSKRNL Emu_Extender to install the Intel HD 4000 driver, do this in the Surface.

Note: The driver signature enforcement must be disabled, through F8 boot menu, BCD configuration tweaking, or test mode.

Edited by Brickedandroid

I wonder if the problem is as simple as “Intel graphics driver does not support Vista” (and extended kernel won’t make the driver work). I would try the very old driver version recommended here: https://msfn.org/board/topic/174733-drivers-for-intel-hd-graphics-4000amd-radeon-graphics-7600m/?do=findComment&comment=1173246

37 minutes ago, Vistapocalypse said:

I wonder if the problem is as simple as “Intel graphics driver does not support Vista” (and extended kernel won’t make the driver work).

No, I tried myself and the newer Intel HD 4000 versions worked partially for me. The driver has no problem in Device Manager. Only DirectX 9 API causes BEX64 crashes.

Edited by Brickedandroid

1 hour ago, Brickedandroid said:

No, I tried myself and the newer Intel HD 4000 versions worked partially for me.

I had forgotten your thread, https://msfn.org/board/topic/184124-problem-with-the-newer-version-of-intel-hd-graphics-4000-driver-on-windows-vista-extended-kernel-with-ntoskrnl-emu_extender/

Still, an old driver that supported Vista might not have any issues.

18 hours ago, Brickedandroid said:

Try re-make the Vista installation in VM but without the Intel HD 4000 driver installed, then re-capture into WIM file.

You could try using NTOSKRNL Emu_Extender to install the Intel HD 4000 driver, do this in the Surface.

Note: The driver signature enforcement must be disabled, through F8 boot menu, BCD configuration tweaking, or test mode.

I will try that.

Edited by GD 2W10