ArcticFoxie/NotHereToPlayGames -- 360Chrome v13.5.1030 rebuild 7

6 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

There are flags which affect Skia subpixel positioning when running "headless" (don't know what "headless" is).

--font-render-hinting

I tested all settings, but it's not a change.

7 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

With the XP's Standard method, I don't notice any "global" non-crisp fonts.  Can you demonstrate via screencap?

Upon limited research via internet searches, it seems that both Firefox and Chrome still antialias "some fonts" REGARDLESS of XP being set to NOT smooth font edges (which the PM'd web site clearly demonstrates).

The difference is "what" fonts they BOTH deem as fonts which require antialiasing - font-family A will be antialiased in Chrome but not in Firefox, while font-family B will be antialiased in Firefox but not in Chrome, and font-family C will not be antialiased in either.

And that forcing "Standard" (clear and crisp to me) or "ClearType" (which looks TERRIBLE to my eyes) is the only way for a "universal" (all apps) font rendering, font-family A, B, and C identical in app X, app Y, and app Z.

No, you're right...  Ignore the size difference, that just has to do with how I did it, but looking at the actual font, they are exactly the same with or without it checked.  So I'll leave it checked for Chrome.

silver3.thumb.png.a514315afdedb0a9a4379d309fb5ca60.png

2 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Did you try the XP Display Setting of Standard for font-smoothing?  That's pretty much the only fix I am seeing aside from resorting to case-by-case Stylus sheets

I changed it and the font is much better.
I will test it now.

I hope I don't get a headache.

20 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Right-click on My Computer and select Properties.

Both settings do the same for me.
If one is switched on, the other switches on.

Is there no switch to only activate this with 360Chrome?
It is sometimes bad in other programs.

On 1/13/2023 at 5:17 PM, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Did you try the XP Display Setting of Standard for font-smoothing?  That's pretty much the only fix I am seeing aside from resorting to case-by-case Stylus sheets.

With this setting, all sides that I have visited so far are presented correctly.
A lock of external fonts or a change in the fonts is no longer necessary.
The result is very good.

But now it comes: I get a headache from this view.
Is there no possibility that this change only applies to 360Chrome?

The ONLY other option as I see it (in XP) is that you will HAVE TO learn how to use Stylus extension.

Firefox-forks AND Chromium-forks both do antialised fonts regardless of your Operating System telling it not to.

The only difference is what font-families will be antialised in one versus the other.

44 minutes ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Firefox-forks AND Chromium-forks both do antialised fonts regardless of your Operating System telling it not to.

With Mypal68 it is not the case. The fonts are always good.

45 minutes ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

The ONLY other option as I see it (in XP) is that you will HAVE TO learn how to use Stylus extension.

How would this work?
Is there a solution to change antialasing so that everything is displayed correctly with a change, or would this have to be done individually for each website?

1 hour ago, Anbima said:

With Mypal68 it is not the case. The fonts are always good.

You may have to do what pretty much everybody here at MSFN does - keep a handful of browsers at your disposal and use this one for these tasks and that one for those tasks.

You will NEVER get Firefox/Mypal and Chrome/360Chrome to behave identically - NEVER.  They are entirely two different beasts and they do things entirely different from each other.

Anbima, use an extension, if you wish... Font Size (19.07 kB): https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/font-size/hljghmclpohmbfjphfcjbhbacbdfglpl?hl=en-US - make font size on each website separately, memorize it.

Or an extension inverting text color... have many on the store..

Deluminate (24.27 kB): https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/deluminate/iebboopaeangfpceklajfohhbpkkfiaa?hl=en-US

Edited by msfntor

21 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Are you saying that this XP setting WORKS for you in 360Chrome but you do not want to use it for other XP reasons?

This setting works fine, but it gives me a headache.
Does Windows do the anti-aliasing, or does 360Chrome take the setting from Windows and do the anti-aliasing itself?

Edited by Anbima

The problem is that Chrome (and Firefox) DOES NOT USE YOUR WINDOWS SETTINGS (when your Windows says to NOT "smooth fonts").

Chrome decides for itself what fonts do or do not require anti-aliasing.

Firefox decides for itself what fonts do or do not require anti-aliasing.

And Chrome and Firefox do not agree with each other as to what fonts require anti-aliasing.

But Chrome (and Firefox) DOES USE YOUR WINDOWS SETTINGS to determine what METHOD to use for "font smoothing".

Perhaps YOUR best solution is to forget about seeking to resolve this at the browser level for both Mypal and for 360Chrome.

But rather seek out an OPERATING SYSTEM REPLACEMENT for "font-smoothing" IN ITS ENTIRETY.

Edited by NotHereToPlayGames