ArcticFoxie/NotHereToPlayGames -- 360Chrome v13.5.1030 rebuild 7

7 minutes ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

You'll have to close all 360Chrome windows then relaunch for the DirectWrite flag to take effect.

That flag should look like this -

image.png.40d8d7e6c7c6331fb1dc426b851b01e7.png

Yes, that's how I have it.
But when I change to Enabled and restart, nothing changes in the fonts.

I have found this:
https://www.ghacks.net/2016/06/06/chrome-font-rendering-google/

Edited by Anbima

17 minutes ago, Anbima said:

But when I change to Enabled and restart, nothing changes in the fonts.

You want it on DISABLED.

When you go to chrome://flags, if it doesn't say DISABLED then you need to disable, exit, and restart 360Chrome.

The ghacks link does not apply to 360Chrome v13.5.

11 minutes ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

You want it on DISABLED.

When you go to chrome://flags, if it doesn't say DISABLED then you need to disable, exit, and restart 360Chrome

I have DISABLED und restart 360Chrome.
But there is no difference between DISABLED and ENABLED.
Nothing changes in the font.

28 minutes ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

You want it on DISABLED.

When you go to chrome://flags, if it doesn't say DISABLED then you need to disable, exit, and restart 360Chrome.

The ghacks link does not apply to 360Chrome v13.5.

Maybe there's something different on your OS (You're using XP x64 -- which is SP2).  On XP SP3, it does nothing to solve the issue.

360font3.png.a4334bf0b9ae70b15636979e2be4c2b5.png

360font2.thumb.png.f3a3c2648a1b04bd815281e52d5567a4.png

DirectWrite disabled resolves that font issue in my Win7.  But agreed, no change in XP.

That font issue is resolved on my end via -

Right-click on My Computer and select Properties.

image.png.01785b5aad2f8e5e6f33525a9c6ce29c.png

Go to the Advanced tab and click Settings under Performance.

image.png.c8f553790f8894250a058a7833f5c812.png

Make sure that the Smooth edges of screen fonts is selected.

image.png.2330883da303741036cf2b0174243389.png

Click Apply if you had to select it because if was previously unselected.

Click OK to close out of those and that web page should now display fonts correctly.

Unsure if this is also required, but I also have this option set.

Right-click on empty space on the desktop and select Properties.

image.png.595ba9e67fdfb7de835211f006b1b584.png

Select the Appearance tab then select the Effects button.

image.png.bea597a2eef9289293cc2c73d02d55ba.png

Under Effects, I use the Standard method for screen fonts and NOT the ClearType method.

image.png.c33f94f591685294af7a8e19c610e7ce.png

Much cleaner -

image.png.75e2096956bdd238f9e90bd5d50eed74.png

Hope that works for you also.

Edited by NotHereToPlayGames

1 hour ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

DirectWrite disabled resolves that font issue in my Win7.  But agreed, no change in XP.

That font issue is resolved on my end via -

Right-click on My Computer and select Properties.

<snip>

Hmmm....  Thanks for that.  But won't that affect other programs where I want font smoothing?

My setup IS using font smoothing.  It uses STANDARD method instead of ClearType method.  ClearType gives me migraines because there are red and green "dancing pixels" in every corner of every letter that triggers migraines for me (among others, was very big in tech news back when Vista first came out).

2 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

My setup IS using font smoothing.  It uses STANDARD method instead of ClearType method.  ClearType gives me migraines because there are red and green "dancing pixels" in every corner of every letter that triggers migraines for me (among others, was very big in tech news back when Vista first came out).

This fixes the issue:

image.png

But I will keep it turned off for now, because I don't like font smoothing.  In other words, I don't like when Windows applies it globally.  I like my Desktop fonts nice and crisp without the antialiasing.  But it seems that Chrome is inheriting something from Windows that affects its rendering if it is not enabled.

In Firefox, setting Cairo to do the rendering as opposed to skia solved the issue:
gfx.content.azure.backends;cairo,direct2d1.1,skia

I wonder if there's something similar in Chrome.

Edited by mockingbird

With the XP's Standard method, I don't notice any "global" non-crisp fonts.  Can you demonstrate via screencap?

Upon limited research via internet searches, it seems that both Firefox and Chrome still antialias "some fonts" REGARDLESS of XP being set to NOT smooth font edges (which the PM'd web site clearly demonstrates).

The difference is "what" fonts they BOTH deem as fonts which require antialiasing - font-family A will be antialiased in Chrome but not in Firefox, while font-family B will be antialiased in Firefox but not in Chrome, and font-family C will not be antialiased in either.

And that forcing "Standard" (clear and crisp to me) or "ClearType" (which looks TERRIBLE to my eyes) is the only way for a "universal" (all apps) font rendering, font-family A, B, and C identical in app X, app Y, and app Z.

Edited by NotHereToPlayGames

6 hours ago, mockingbird said:

setting Cairo to do the rendering as opposed to skia solved the issue

I'm not well-versed in those types of changes but have experimented with them several months ago.

Some of those types of Chrome flags also require hardware acceleration (which does not work in XP even if you set the setting to use it).

There are flags which affect Skia subpixel positioning when running "headless" (don't know what "headless" is).

--font-render-hinting

Sets font render hinting when running headless, affects Skia rendering and whether glyph subpixel positioning is enabled. Possible values: none|slight|medium|full|max. Default: full.

A full list of Command Line Switches - https://peter.sh/experiments/chromium-command-line-switches/