Chrome 110-based Opera - I ported it to Vista.

D.Draker

Hi all and merry X-mass, I got bored and with the help of @Dixel and some amount of inspiration I sometimes get from @win32,

I butchered the latest Opera 96 (110) to make it run on our beloved Vista !

This chinese browser Opera is based on the newest Chrome 110, which is officially supported only on Win 10 +. 

Also, I forced it to use its native hardware Skia engine 110. (which is now blocked on win 7 by default).

For those who still drive their Sd.Kfz.8, Opera 95 and Chrome 109 are the last for win 7,

so as of now, win 7 and the extended kernel for Vista are not able to run the 110 Chrome version.

Please don't ask me about running it on WIn 7, I don't know (or won't tell) anything.

In theory, it's possible for win 7 to run it. But only if you edit the browser code.

(which is forbidden).

Only Vista related questions. Thanks.

Opera EULA says we can't edit their code, so I shall share my hacks/findings with @win32

and maybe he will be able to implement this in his next kernel release, so all of you 

could run it without the editing hacks.

Screenshot_20221226_134708.png

Screenshot_20221226_134815.png

On 12/26/2022 at 2:14 PM, shelby said:

Does it works in Vista without the extended kernel?

It all depends on what you are ready to sacrifice in the end, if you want it without the kernel and have a considerable amount of time at your disposal, then yes, it is possible.

Though, I suggest to use the existing kernel and only add my hacks needed for this exact version. It's just faster,@win32 already saved enormous amounts of time for us !

But don't let that discourage.

This is LIKELY kinda going to go along the same lines of 360Chrome.

I had high hopes it would reach a bigger audience then it has.

But the reality is that XP, Vista, and 7 is a RAPIDLY declining user-base.

I do have a Vista Extended Kernel installation, but I rarely log into that machine as it is HIGHLY unstable.

Dual Boot.  Vanilla Vista is ROCK STABLE.  I have not (yet) dived into seeing if Vista Extended can be made "stable" (ie, "usable").

3 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

But don't let that discourage.

This is LIKELY kinda going to go along the same lines of 360Chrome.

I had high hopes it would reach a bigger audience then it has.

But the reality is that XP, Vista, and 7 is a RAPIDLY declining user-base.

I do have a Vista Extended Kernel installation, but I rarely log into that machine as it is HIGHLY unstable.

Dual Boot.  Vanilla Vista is ROCK STABLE.  I have not (yet) dived into seeing if Vista Extended can be made "stable" (ie, "usable").

First off , thank you ! 

Second, I already wrote many times, you can just put the kernel in the folder (the precise instructions are given in the topic).

And you need only 1 update. That's it ! So no "instability". 

• 2 weeks later...