state of windows xp in 2023-beyond?

legacyfan

4 hours ago, Zorba the Geek said:

VPN provider

So change it.. I've UltraSurf and it works flawlessly since always ( but starting it rarely, cause no need for..), ancient version "u1902" do NOT start Internet Explorer, but "u2132" start I.E. without reason.. see too Swisscows VPN, ProtonMail VPN etc.

21 hours ago, derpo said:

https://digdeeper.club/articles/email.xhtml

ProtonMail don't seem particularly trustworthy

Proton was made by a russian who lives in Germany, they just love Greek or Italian names, it was easy to guess. I have no proof that he is KGB,

and not going to seek for it, but we may safely assume - every russian who has money and lives in the West = KGB.

Also notice, heavy Java bloated wesites are usually Russian ! But hey, no Yahoo in that list ?

Yahoo is safe ?

3 hours ago, XPerceniol said:

Yeah, hard to find free without needing a cell phone number and I won't.

Yeah, and I will defo stay away from it too ! From what I was able to find .

Key stuff of ProtonMail (current) : Andy Yen (CEO/Founder) , Varun , Kabra.

Doesn't sound like English names to me.

On 1/10/2023 at 12:18 PM, Zorba the Geek said:

The end of security updates for XP is not really a big deal.  I am using the Atlantis Word Processor, OE Classic, and MyPal which are firmly committed to 32 bit XP compatibility for the time being, so the only thing that could force me to change to Linux is developments in codecs making media unplayable using DirectShow decoders.  These do not appear to be in development anymore, so the latest DS decoder I have is the MPC-BE video decoder released in 2016.

Also my VPN provider is gradually dropping support for L2TP, and I have not figured out how to make IKEV2 work under XP, which is a worrying development.

There are some providers that are still using PPTP and L2TP like FastestVPN (not the fastest, unlike the name suggests, but still).

Otherwise, you can use different protocols, for instance OpenVPN works just fine on XP, you just have to install the client (or rather an older version of the client). Alternatively, you can go for a different protocol like IPSec Xauth PSK by installing the Shrew Soft VPN Client which still runs on XP.

As to the browsers, aside from Roytam's constantly updated forks, I'm currently using some special Long Term Support XP Compatible Chromium builds that my company receives as part of a special support, so I'm currently on Chromium 92, however it does have some pretty bad CVE, so I'm trying to use it as little as possible until the next update comes up. Lastly, when it comes to updates, the best thing you can do is to install 0Patch and call it a day as they will at least provide some level of protection against vulnerabilities that Microsoft didn't bother to patch after July 2019.

Edited by FranceBB

On 1/16/2023 at 9:16 AM, FranceBB said:

There are some providers that are still using PPTP and L2TP like FastestVPN (not the fastest, unlike the name suggests, but still).

Unfortunately, FastestVPN has dropped support of L2TP protocol in Windows XP last year smilie_denk_24.gif just as many other VPN providers have already done, but PPTP still works. And OpenVPN presumably, too. BulletVPN, for example, still provides both, PPTP and L2TP, in Windows XP. ssupercool2.gif Generally, OpenVPN is not a good choice on old, underpowered systems because the client causes a high processor load. :( In my case, I have a 100% CPU load with only a third of the theoretically achievable connection speed, which can thus never be reached. :realmad: On more powerful computers, on the other hand, I don't see any problems using OpenVPN. :) 

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

I'm currently using some special Long Term Support XP Compatible Chromium builds that my company receives as part of a special support, so I'm currently on Chromium 92

Developed by Google?

Alternatively, you can go for a different protocol like IPSec Xauth PSK by installing the Shrew Soft VPN Client which still runs on XP.

Have you ever connected successfully to a server of a commercial VPN provider using the protocol IPSec Xauth PSK provided by the Shrew Soft VPN Client under Windows XP in the past? :dubbio: Is that possible with VPN clients like Shrew Soft or TheGreenBow at all? Or can connections only be established to VPN Gateways of VPN appliances produced by vendors such as Cisco, Juniper, Checkpoint, Fortinet, Netgear, Linksys, Zywall and so on? idee.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

On 1/19/2023 at 12:37 PM, AstroSkipper said:

Have you ever connected successfully to a server of a commercial VPN provider using the protocol IPSec Xauth PSK provided by the Shrew Soft VPN Client under Windows XP in the past? :dubbio: Is that possible with VPN clients like Shrew Soft or TheGreenBow at all? Or can connections only be established to VPN Gateways of VPN appliances produced by vendors such as Cisco, Juniper, Checkpoint, Fortinet, Netgear, Linksys, Zywall and so on? idee.gif

I have, it definitely works on Fritzbox routers but I assume it works on other providers too.

On 1/16/2023 at 8:16 AM, FranceBB said:

Otherwise, you can use different protocols, for instance OpenVPN works just fine on XP, you just have to install the client (or rather an older version of the client). Alternatively, you can go for a different protocol like IPSec Xauth PSK by installing the Shrew Soft VPN Client which still runs on XP.

The ending of suitable VPN protocols for XP would kill the operating system stone dead unless I could somehow figure out how to make a SSL tunnel to a shell account or get a SOCKS5 proxy.  The performance of OpenVPN provided by PureVPN was terrible which I assumed was inherent in the protocol, but lately their OpenVPN servers have provided an excellent service,and you can still use version 2.3.18 of OpenVPN.  Once they drop support for 2.3.18 there is no reason to despair because someone has made a custom XP build of version 2.5.4 which you can obtain here.  Isn't it funny how whenever crucial software support for XP is dropped someone comes to the rescue with their custom build?

I am really interested in third party VPN clients like SoftEther and Shrew  Soft, but having installed the latter years ago I discovered that it is intended for enterprise VPNs and requires lots of settings that are not available for public VPNs.  The Microsoft VPN clients only require the host name and pre shared key.

We should continue this discussion about VPNs with a new topic.

• 2 months later...

I have to say that I believe Windows XP as an OS will always be usable, even if in an emulated form. With the amount of legacy software out there, it will be worth something, whether if it's simply to run older games or programs for older hardware. In fact, I just installed it recently to a spare drive for use on older websites and for running DOS games. I use it for viewing sites like Bitview, FriendProject and RetroBook, all of which were made to emulate the 2006-2009 era of the internet. However, I wouldn't use it to login to more serious pages though (like Amazon for example).