state of windows xp in 2023-beyond?

legacyfan

as we all know support for windows xp is slowly growing thin over the past few year and updates are getting harder and harder to find nowadays even with update packs even browsers are harder to find so is windows xp still usable at all in 2023-beyond?

Edited by legacyfan

2 minutes ago, legacyfan said:

...so is windows xp still usable at all in 2023-beyond?

Sure is, but even if the internet gets ugly, still good for old games and my music; but, I don't think that time is just yet, maybe a few more years and you can help us. I'll check out your other posting over there.

• legacyfan changed the title to state of windows xp in 2023-beyond?

My Windows 95 on a 486 Vesa local bus system is still perfectly usable, for playing MP3s (at 22kHz max) and playing Freecell. I expect it to remain usable for such until the capacitors die of old age. Then I will recap it, making it usable for another 20 years.

Just a silly remark, for the vague statement of 'usable'.

My Windows XP system runs like a charm without any errors. We have an interesting range of working browsers which are constantly being further developed, and a lot can be done on such a system. Windows XP is a perfect Windows OS for old, underperforming computers. I hope this OS will live forever.

4 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

My Windows XP system runs like a charm without any errors. We have an interesting range of working browsers which are constantly being further developed, and a lot can be done on such a system. Windows XP is a perfect Windows OS for old, underperforming computers. I hope this OS will live forever.

Me too. 

XP is a great OS. Specially the 64-bit version. But recently I realized something. My motherboard got busted. And in my search for motherboards for am3+ socket I don't know why but I was still expecting to find a new one in box at a good price. So finding the the hardware that supports it is the most difficult part. I guess you can run it virtually if you really want to but it's not the same.

As far as I can tell, the only concern in the coming years is the gradual dropping of 32-bit support in new software, but I don't really know of anything people use for XP that still gest updates that isn't specifically built with legacy OSes in mind.

• 2 weeks later...

The end of security updates for XP is not really a big deal.  I am using the Atlantis Word Processor, OE Classic, and MyPal which are firmly committed to 32 bit XP compatibility for the time being, so the only thing that could force me to change to Linux is developments in codecs making media unplayable using DirectShow decoders.  These do not appear to be in development anymore, so the latest DS decoder I have is the MPC-BE video decoder released in 2016.

Also my VPN provider is gradually dropping support for L2TP, and I have not figured out how to make IKEV2 work under XP, which is a worrying development.