List your top 10 fave software!

Aaron

1) Microsoft Office 2003

2) Adobe Acrobat 7.0.8

3) True Launch Bar 3.2

Customize system with regtweaks and user interface, then Create ghost image (no personal customizations)

4) .Net Framework 1.??

5) Sony Sound Forge 8.0

6) Sony CD Architect 5.2

Create ghost image

7) UltraISO 8.0

8) PowerISO 3.0

9) WinRar 3.5

10) NIS 2005 spyware edition

Create image

Customize my system with personal bookmarks, outlook accounts, etc. then create final ghost image.

Edited by spacesurfer

1.) Adobe Photoshop

2.) Adobe Illustrator

3.) Mozilla Firefox

4.) Mozilla Thunderbird

5.) Windows Media Player 11 Beta

6.) Skype

7.) Yahoo! Widgets Engine

8.) Daemon Tools 4

9.) Nero 7

10.) Cute FTP

1.firewall coreforce (been using outpost for years till last week)

2.kaspersky av

3.everst ultimate edition

4.jetaudio

5.opera 9

6.yahelite

7.xnview (been using acdsee forever)

8.xp codec pack

9.tune-uo utilities & system mechanic

10.alcohol 120%

nero :whistle:

1. Ghost 2003 (heavenly)

2. Blackbox for windows (the only thing in my life)

3. Notepad

4. Acronis True Image 9

5. MS Office 2003

6. Google Toolbar

7. Nero 7 Premium (customized installation)

8. MS Paint

9. Norton Internet Security 2005

10. Nlite (dont use it so much, but good)

• 2 months later...

1. Ghost 2003 (heavenly)

2. Ghost 2003 (fabulous)

3. Ghost 2003 (marvelous)

4. Ghost 2003 (intuitive)

5. Ghost 2003 (A Real Life Saver)

6. Ghost 2003 (The Greatest)

7. Ghost 2003 (The Best Defragger on the planet)

8. Ghost 2003 (Exceptional)

9. Ghost 2003 (The Best File Recovery Program)

10. Ghost 2003 (Not written by mere Mortals)

I can avidly agree with some of the other entries

and vehemently disagree with others.

But Ghost 2003 is just such an exception

to all the rules, that I thought I'd give it a ten. :wub:

cheers3.gif

Andromeda43 B)

Wow, Ghost 2003 is not only an imaging software but also an Internet browser, image viewer, PDF reader, e-mail client, media player, file manager, p2p, etc? :P

I suppose you don't think much of Acronis True Image...

1. Mozilla (Firefox & Thunderbird)

2. NOD32

3. Adobe Production Suite (premier pro/photoshop/illustrator/after effects/encore)

4. StrokeIt

5. Stardocks WindowBlinds & RightClick

6. Newsleecher

7. Dreamweaver

8. VLC Player

9. WinRAR

10. PerfectDisk

wow it's hard to limit this to 10 :)

Deep Freeze is mine

instantly protects and preserves baseline computer configurations. No matter what changes a user makes to a workstation, simply restart to eradicate all changes and reset the computer to its original state - right down to the last byte.

it works very well, i used this after a fresh install and configuration so my pc never gets sluggish, no matter what i or anyone does to it, all i have to do is restart and voila!

i recommend to freeze the C: drive and move "my documents" folder to another partition so any default gamesaves..etc are saved

to make permanent changes or update drivers/hotfixes, simply use "Thaw" option and configure as needed then refreeze, never again be worried of viruses/malware or any other changes that could affect OS integretity, also you would never have to do routine maintanences such as adware/virus scanning or junk cleaning nor have a need to install such software

also doesnt use all those gigabytes like imaging software does

Mozilla Firefox

MSN Messenger

Winamp

Microsoft Office 2003

Windows XP

AnyDVD

CloneDVD

Acronis True Image Server - Norton Ghost 9.0 sucks

Nero

BitComet

Soulseek

Well, even though your choices do show some lack of knowledge of what

it takes to be GOOD Software,

I have to partially agree with your appraisal of Ghost 9.

Understand though, that Ghost 9 and Ghost 10 are Symantec products.

There's never been a program that they acquired that they didn't mess up.

However, Ghost 2003 is the last version almost totally "UN-Messed-around-with" by Symantec.

It's a close copy of what they bought from "Ghostsoft, Inc." in the late '90's.

It's a DOS program but has the uncanny ability (when run from a boot Floppy or CD) to read any HD, even NTFS and write it's compressed Backup image to any other internal drive, even a CD or DVD burner.

Doing a Restore with it, right after doing a Backup, will perform what serves as the best defrag you'll ever see. All files are re-written to the HD in perfect order, with NO spaces between them and of course, NO Fragmentation. This twofold process on my SATA drive, takes no more than fifteen minutes. :thumbup

See insert:

mydrive.jpg

If you've never used it, you have absolutely NO concept of what it's all about or what it can do.

So go ahead and badmouth Ghost 9 or even Ghost 10 if you want to. You'll get no badmouth from me for it.

Yes, they both suck!

But, leave Ghost 2003 alone. It will always be my Favorite All Time piece of Software.

It's a little like an ugly woman......you have to really know her, to love her. :wub:

Cheers Mates!

Andromeda43

I don't see why you post that excessively large screenshot for almost every post you make concerning software. Also, there is nothing wrong with Acronis True Image, I use it myself. It works perfectly. Whichever imaging software does the trick for the user, is all that matters. :hello:

Doing a Restore with it, right after doing a Backup, will perform what serves as the best defrag you'll ever see. All files are re-written to the HD in perfect order, with NO spaces between them and of course, NO Fragmentation. This twofold process on my SATA drive, takes no more than fifteen minutes. :thumbup

See insert:

[pointless screenshot here]

Ahhh. Not that misinformation again! I'm a ghost 8 user, but it's FAR from being a replacement for defragging (reimaging for defragging is like rebuilding your house instead of repainting it). In fact, it's funny how my drives are ALWAYS framented right after reimaging them (yeah, free space's always at the end though - like with any disk imaging app)... Decent drive imaging app, but that's all it is... Nothing more.

[edit]: Actually, I'm thinking about moving on to something else. Something better. Rebooting to an old dos-based bootdisc to image is getting old and bothersome. But maintaining the said bootdisc with ndis2 drivers for every nic out there is a real PITA. WinPE/BartPE might be a good alternative, even if it boots somewhat slower. And ghost doesn't do incremental/differential backups. And as much as I'm not keen on the idea of creating images from windows (as it's already running), rebooting every time, and having to find that old boot disc sucks, when another app could just have a scheduled incremental backup overnight (no reboot required, no disc to find, no need to even do anything at all - just let it happen! How convenient is that!) And support for USB/Firewire/Network or even CD/DVD drives just couldn't possible be any worse. And everybody keeps talking about True Image, saying how good/better it is, and seeing good reviews about it everywhere all the time, so I'm starting to think there's got to be a reason for that... And there's so much reviews claiming it's faster and has better compression - don't know if it's founded or not as I haven't tried it yet, but I just might find out soon.

So I think I'll be trying True Image tonight.

Edited by crahak