State Of Windows Vista in 2023-Beyond?

legacyfan

will windows vista still be usable beyond 2023? with as much as ive seen drivers slowly disappear from compatibility and all programs not working anymore (even with extended kernel) I just don't know so my question is will it still be usable in 2023-beyond?

Edited by legacyfan

• legacyfan changed the title to state of windows vista in 2023-beyond?

There will be some updates and new dll functions soon, as more users reporting the missing functions from the new modern softwares and drivers. But unfortunately the development takes so long time so that you will spend too much time to wait for it.

I would contribute for the Vista Extended Kernel, but I want to report the new functions from Windows 7, 8, and 10 at once instead of the missing needed functions from Dependency Walker of the each software only. But I'm rejected because of this way.

@win32 I'm so sorry.

Edited by Brickedandroid

4 hours ago, Brickedandroid said:

There will be some updates and new dll functions soon, as more users reporting the missing functions from the new modern softwares and drivers. But unfortunately the development takes so long time so that you will spend too much time to wait for it.

I would contribute for the Vista Extended Kernel, but I want to report the new functions from Windows 7, 8, and 10 at once instead of the missing needed functions from Dependency Walker of the each software only. But I'm rejected because of this way.

@win32 I'm so sorry.

I like @win32's approach. He knows what he does. There's no need to add literally every crap the higher numbered OSes have,

only need to add the ones that demanded to start a given app.

I'm sorry you got rejected.

12 hours ago, D.Draker said:

I like @win32's approach. He knows what he does. There's no need to add literally every crap the higher numbered OSes have,

only need to add the ones that demanded to start a given app.

I'm sorry you got rejected.

So you must try more newer modern apps that are released beyond 2019, or apps with version/build newer than 2021, in which they are currently popular and have aesthetic-minimalist UI with rounded corners and eye-catchy effects and animations e.g. Spotify, Dropbox, Netflix, etc., and use Dependency Walker to check for the missing functions.

Please try also the Microsoft Store apps on Windows Vista Extended Kernel if possible.

Edited by Brickedandroid

14 hours ago, Brickedandroid said:

So you must try more newer modern apps that are released beyond 2019, or apps with version/build newer than 2021, in which they are currently popular and have aesthetic-minimalist UI with rounded corners and eye-catchy effects and animations e.g. Spotify, Dropbox, Netflix, etc., and use Dependency Walker to check for the missing functions.

Please try also the Microsoft Store apps on Windows Vista Extended Kernel if possible.

Excuse me, why should I force such a terrible experience with "modern" apps on me ? I don't quite get it.

12 hours ago, Brickedandroid said:

I don't think it's possible to run Microsoft Store apps on Windows Vista Extended Kernel and/or on Windows 7.

2 hours ago, D.Draker said:

Excuse me, why should I force such a terrible experience with "modern" apps on me ? I don't quite get it.

Because sometimes they will be needed for something you don't know yet but you need it if you use Vista as a main OS, and you will don't need to be reported for the missing functions anymore. That's just like "Everything at Once" so the users will not have to wait another few years to enjoy their beloved modern apps or the newer version/updated daily apps.

1 hour ago, mina7601 said:

I don't think it's possible to run Microsoft Store apps on Windows Vista Extended Kernel and/or on Windows 7.

I don't mean to run it. You just have to obtain the MS Store apps and their data files, dynamic link libraries, and other PE-formatted dependency files from the Windows 10 VM/another PC and check for their missing needed functions using Dependency Walker.

Edited by Brickedandroid

I would love to see a backport of some Windows 10 Apps for Windows 8.1, but even that will surely not happen (anytime soon). On Windows 8.1 even Netflix and Deezer won't work anymore, since they use IE11 to connect to their servers. If there was only a solution to switch it to Edge like Windows 10..

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/10/2022 at 11:42 PM, Brickedandroid said:

We do not like WinUI and most win7/vista users use aero/classic theme and win32 programs. I hate apps and sorry, apps are inferior in every way, not to mention all important apps are electron and therefore run with standard APIs

Edited by Eddie Phizika

5 hours ago, Eddie Phizika said:

We do not like WinUI and most win7/vista users use aero/classic theme and win32 programs. I hate apps and sorry, apps are inferior in every way, not to mention all important apps are electron and therefore run with standard APIs

But are the MS store apps also compatible with aero/classic themes?

Edited by Brickedandroid

On 12/19/2022 at 7:55 PM, Brickedandroid said:

But are the MS store apps also compatible with aero/classic themes?

I would (would, this is not certain) suppose they would not work or would have some big issues to be dealt with (there is likely a lot of plumbing and dirty work behind they in 10/11 in system level) even if there was some way to get their dependencies running on Vista/7, unless if they were fully based on edge webview, in a way they would follow their own UI instead of the system, just like chromium.

Edited by Eddie Phizika

• 1 month later...
  • legacyfan changed the title to State Of Windows Vista in 2023-Beyond?