state of windows 7 in 2023-beyond?

legacyfan

3 hours ago, Jaguarek62 said:

yeah windows 7 and 8 can't launch games mostly released after 2021, but the most popular online games are still running on windows 7 and 8. I don't play them, but if I wanted to I would just use windows 10. This does not change the fact that windows 7 is still a very capable os in 2023 and will be up until 24 or 25.

Well, 2021 games don't work, like I wrote just now. RDR2 is 2019. I'm pretty sure you got the wrong impression, It would be easier if they worked on win 7 !

I don't even have win 8/10 and not going to. The "fact" is debatable, to say the least.

We shall see how folks will try to survive without chrome, audacity, MKVtoolnix, etc.

My 26 y.o. girlfriend says Windows 7 is a system for pensioners, lol. I wonder what the next younger one would say !

10 minutes ago, D.Draker said:

Thanks ! Is it any faster than the 471 ? They said it has no gaming improvements, only "security".

it's on par with 472.12 (the last one before security switch)

Edited by Jaguarek62

3 hours ago, Jaguarek62 said:

it's on par with 472.12 (the last one before security switch)

hmm , looks like the 471 is better, please don't think I'm trolling again. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uKitinHKD0

4 hours ago, Jaguarek62 said:

others that work on windows 7

Please, do you have a list of decent games you could suggest so I try on my spare Kaby Lake ? 

Only the ones that have a third person view, smth like RDR2 or Assasins.

Thank you very much.

On 12/8/2022 at 12:22 PM, D.Draker said:

I don't know about the country you live in, but I'm pretty sure it would be illegal to hack Microsoft's

licence/protection to be able to use them for free. There's a reason they sell it, you know.

For us, simple peasants, Win 7 support ended 3 years ago.

I'm in the US, and it isn't illegal if MS has the ESU updates public via Microsoft Update Catalog :)

On 12/11/2022 at 11:20 PM, WinGlass said:

I'm in the US, and it isn't illegal if MS has the ESU updates public via Microsoft Update Catalog :)

...your Multiple Activation Key to become available after purchasing Extended Security Updates...

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/get-started/extended-security-updates-deploy

I can see Windows 7 lasting well beyond 2030 quite well. It's been almost 10 years since Windows XP was dropped and it's still-well supported by third parties. A lot of people don't have the luxury to buy a new PC. Often, they are in a developing country and new hardware is very expensive, a lot of old hardware and software won't work properly on Windows 8.1+ (one notable example being DRM disabling Hardware Acceleration on Adobe applications using BeTwin).

In all honesty, is buying newer hardware besides for work purposes and video games even worth it? Why should I fork over 500+ USD for an overpriced new PC that literally holds the same amount of ram and hard drive space that a computer over 10 years old holds? I could buy a cheap used PC that can still run Windows 7 on ebay. Sure, the newer PCs "faster," but the bloat and high requirements for Windows 10 and 11 just kills the purpose of even purchasing such a machine. Top that off with the number of bugs 10 and 11 hold. I can't even run an i7 with 8gb of ram properly on Windows 10. It's beyond dumb.

I'd rather just stay with my "legacy" Windows versions and be able to get my activities done. Digital art, file storage, family photos, and media files shouldn't require 16gb of ram and an intel i9 just to work properly. I can literally do the same tasks on my Pentium M with Windows XP at a faster speed. If security is a concern, just dual-boot with a lightweight Linux for web browsing and email.

Long live Windows XP/Vista/7/8.1!

3 hours ago, FantasyAcquiesce said:

I can see Windows 7 lasting well beyond 2030 quite well. It's been almost 10 years since Windows XP was dropped and it's still-well supported by third parties. A lot of people don't have the luxury to buy a new PC. Often, they are in a developing country and new hardware is very expensive, a lot of old hardware and software won't work properly on Windows 8.1+ (one notable example being DRM disabling Hardware Acceleration on Adobe applications using BeTwin).

In all honesty, is buying newer hardware besides for work purposes and video games even worth it? Why should I fork over 500+ USD for an overpriced new PC that literally holds the same amount of ram and hard drive space that a computer over 10 years old holds? I could buy a cheap used PC that can still run Windows 7 on ebay. Sure, the newer PCs "faster," but the bloat and high requirements for Windows 10 and 11 just kills the purpose of even purchasing such a machine. Top that off with the number of bugs 10 and 11 hold. I can't even run an i7 with 8gb of ram properly on Windows 10. It's beyond dumb.

I'd rather just stay with my "legacy" Windows versions and be able to get my activities done. Digital art, file storage, family photos, and media files shouldn't require 16gb of ram and an intel i9 just to work properly. I can literally do the same tasks on my Pentium M with Windows XP at a faster speed. If security is a concern, just dual-boot with a lightweight Linux for web browsing and email.

Long live Windows XP/Vista/7/8.1!

I find security issues well overblown. People really believe their home machines are as much of a solid target for malware if they barely keep them turned on in a year as much as a company would and rarely expose themselves besides by their ports and IP itself. I sincerely doubt antiviruses are necessary at all aside from a classic 90s-like malware scan ran weekly if you are simply keeping a routine of using and turning your computer at suspend or shutdown time randomly across the day.

Edited by Eddie Phizika

I wouldn't be too worried about app support if everything wasn't based on Electron these days. If Google pulls the plug with Chromium next year, it's only a matter of time before programs like Discord, WhatsApp, Steam and Spotify and most the new launchers like Rockstar Games Launcher/Epic Games just stop working since you can't disable auto-updates (Except Steam and Spotify). Sure, everything except Steam can be bypassed by using the web version of Firefox, etc., but then you have to rely on the browser's notification system and things like system icons in the taskbar and per-app volume controls are gone.

Kinda crazy to think that Windows 10 is now the "minimum" OS for perfect app combatibilty. In 2014 I installed Windows XP on my then current system to test how well it was still supported and had absolutely no problems with it. Then in 2016, XP/Vista went downhill at the same time.

Edited by GTAGAME