state of windows 7 in 2023-beyond?

legacyfan

with the extended esu updates ending soon and no extension being made will windows 7 still be usable beyond 2023? with as much as ive seen drivers slowly disappear from compatibility and all the windows 10-11 nag screens I just don't know so my question is will it still be usable in 2023-beyond? (part of the state of windows project)

Edited by legacyfan

5 hours ago, legacyfan said:

will windows 7 still be usable beyond 2023? with as much as ive seen drivers slowly disappear from compatibility and all the windows 10-11 nag screens I just don't know so my question is will it still be usable in 2023-beyond?

Windows 7 is abandonware, dropped by Microsoft almost 3 years ago.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-7-support-ended-on-january-14-2020-b75d4580-2cc7-895a-2c9c-1466d9a53962

Hell, it's not even supported by the famous MKV cutting programme MKVToolNix,

for almost a year now.

And like the above orator said, the drivers are terribly out of date

Intel dropped Wiindows 7 eight (8 or 9!) years ago !

Nvidia and AMD dropped Win 7 approx. 2 years (or so) ago.

18 hours ago, D.Draker said:

Intel dropped Wiindows 7 eight (8 or 9!) years ago !

This is somehow ridiculous statement - I have Dell laptop with Intel integrated graphics and last version of drivers for it was released in April 2021!

Btw, I recall also drivers for network card and USB released around 2020 and 2018.

Well, my applications still work, my hardware still works, and it does everything I need it to do, so in my case, yes. The beauty of things like this, is that something is only really usable for what you need it for personally (I know someone in person who still daily drives w2k just fine!), so if you need newer hardware or applications for your daily needs, probably not. There are some risks associated with sticking with 7, but I accept those risks and worries, as Windows 10/11 and Linux don't really do all that I need them to, while 7 still works just fine.
I can see myself using it for the foreseeable future, and probably beyond as well. ヽ(・∀・)ノ

Edited by マホウ

To answer this, yes. Just like XP and Vista (and 2000 I guess), 7 will still be usable and will continue to go strong (well I hope).

And ESU support for Windows Embedded POSReady 7 ends on October 14, 2024. So idk if those updates will install on 7. :)

4 hours ago, rainyd said:

This is somehow ridiculous statement - I have Dell laptop with Intel integrated graphics and last version of drivers for it was released in April 2021!

Must be exclusive custom made !?

Here's a casual cheap (popular) mobile i5 CPU from March 2016, almost 7 years old. 

No Win 7 drivers at all, not even old ones!

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/sku/95443/intel-core-i57200u-processor-3m-cache-up-to-3-10-ghz/specifications.html

3 hours ago, WinGlass said:

ESU support for Windows Embedded POSReady 7 ends on October 14, 2024. So idk if those updates will install on 7. :)

The question is , does he own a gazillion bucks licence to able to use them !

18 minutes ago, D.Draker said:

The question is , does he own a gazillion bucks licence to able to use them !

You can still get them (Windows 7 ESU updates) for free by using a patch from MDL (My Digital Life), but I don't think a patch to get POSReady 7 ESU updates has been made (well at least yet)

Edited by WinGlass

44 minutes ago, D.Draker said:

Must be exclusive custom made !?

Here's a casual cheap (popular) mobile i5 CPU from March 2016, almost 7 years old. 

No Win 7 drivers at all, not even old ones!

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/sku/95443/intel-core-i57200u-processor-3m-cache-up-to-3-10-ghz/specifications.html

No, it's not custom made laptop (Dell E6440).

I know that Intel Skylake (6th gen) officially support Windows 7 and best proof is this driver: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18799/intel-graphics-driver-for-windows-15-45.html

Btw, check release date!

One more thing, here someone is confirming that i7-7700K is working with Windows 7: https://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/405289-i5-7200u-graphics-driver-windows-7-a.html

i5-7200U is from the same generation (7th gen aka Kaby Lake) as desktop CPU above.

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/installing-intels-kaby-lake-drivers-on-a-windows-7-laptop.18779373/

Edited by rainyd

36 minutes ago, WinGlass said:

To answer this, yes. Just like XP and Vista (and 2000 I guess), 7 will still be usable and will continue to go strong (well I hope).

I'm sure it will. Hope is never lost for such OSes like these. :)

4 hours ago, WinGlass said:

You can still get them (Windows 7 ESU updates) for free by using a patch from MDL (My Digital Life), but I don't think a patch to get POSReady 7 ESU updates has been made (well at least yet)

I don't know about the country you live in, but I'm pretty sure it would be illegal to hack Microsoft's

licence/protection to be able to use them for free. There's a reason they sell it, you know.

For us, simple peasants, Win 7 support ended 3 years ago.

On 12/8/2022 at 5:29 PM, rainyd said:

someone is confirming that i7-7700K is working with Windows 7

They key word here is "someone". And I can not confirm this. So no hardware for win 7 exists.

No drivers from the official Intel link also.

All of that hardware devices you say, will obviously work with with win 7, simply because they are from its era.

But hardware that would still make sense to  use (no older than 6 years) - doesn't , and it's official.