Who can patch acpi.sys for windows 2000 binary? To run the ACPI v2.0 driver

Who lived in the nineties and loved the classic interface (Win9x/NT), you have only one option to preserve these beautiful things, which is Windows 2000. It is very similar to XP in its structure and source, and with the blackwingcat patches, this system today is more than wonderful, but time passes quickly and this system needs to be The most efforts to resist and complete its way of being able to operate despite the development of hardware technology,

My only wish before I end my life is to see Windows 2000 SP4 + blackwingcat extended core and kernel capable of running Acpi 2.0 driver . But according to what @Mov AX, 0xDEAD said Since the acpi.sys code for Windows 2000 was not leaked like what happened to XP, the matter needs binary patching , So everyone is welcome here who wants to help, patch or experiment, so go ahead and do not hesitate , history will remember that you did a great job :) 

I created a special article on this topic in response request to the kind-hearted @Dave-H .

I was hesitant and afraid that no one would care, but I hope that you will not disappoint me. I trust you all. 

Edited by WinWord2000

@WinWord2000

Try tagging some of the people who are posting in the XP thread, as I've tagged you above.
That will draw this thread to their attention.
They may say that they have no interest in working with Windows 2000, but at least then you'll know!
:yes:

Seem like the main contributors of XP/2003 ACPI.SYS are not as interested in Windows 2000 as XP/2003. As @Mov AX, 0xDEAD said, no one can make Windows 2000 ACPI.SYS compatible with modern hardwares by binary patching (Adding ACPI 2.0 extended syntax and fixing known ACPI incompatibilites)

Before XP source code leaked, modders already knew the limit of binary pathing original ACPI.SYS. They even tried to use ACPI.SYS from Windows Vista Beta 1, since it supports ACPI 2.0 syntax.
I think more realistic way is either using Extended Core to replenish missing functions, modifying Windows XP ACPI.SYS source code to make it compatible with Windows 2000, or both.

@blackwingcat's Extended Core already has three missing functions of NTOSKRNL.EXE. The last one is HeadlessDispatch. Does anyone have idea to handle it? Will it be possible to make ACPI.SYS process this function itself?

On 12/9/2022 at 11:12 AM, R1600 said:

Seem like the main contributors of XP/2003 ACPI.SYS are not as interested in Windows 2000 as XP/2003. As @Mov AX, 0xDEAD said, no one can make Windows 2000 ACPI.SYS compatible with modern hardwares by binary patching (Adding ACPI 2.0 extended syntax and fixing known ACPI incompatibilites)

Before XP source code leaked, modders already knew the limit of binary pathing original ACPI.SYS. They even tried to use ACPI.SYS from Windows Vista Beta 1, since it supports ACPI 2.0 syntax.
I think more realistic way is either using Extended Core to replenish missing functions, modifying Windows XP ACPI.SYS source code to make it compatible with Windows 2000, or both.

@blackwingcat's Extended Core already has three missing functions of NTOSKRNL.EXE. The last one is HeadlessDispatch. Does anyone have idea to handle it? Will it be possible to make ACPI.SYS process this function itself?

Perhaps the easiest solution is to try to change the source code to acpi.sys of Windows XP to make it compatible with Windows 2000

@Mov AX, 0xDEAD @George King @Damnation @Dietmar @daniel_k  @Andalu @canonkong @un user @pappyN4

@win32 @Ximonite @blackwingcat

What do you think about this issue, I think it's time to take Windows 2000 to another level so that it remains operable today :)

Will your abilities fail to make the leaked acpi.sys source code for Windows XP compatible with Windows 2000 or patch the original acpi.sys binary ? 

I trust you all 

Edited by WinWord2000

• 2 months later...
19 hours ago, TheFighterJetDude said:

x64 is decent, with my Renesas USB controller. The only things hooked up to my onboard USB is my keyboard and mouse. Also interested in running 2000

i hope Windows 2000 will running this also, i hope an person here can specified the lacks of acpi.sys compared to XP modified version one to talk with blackwingcat to patch it .

1 hour ago, WinWord2000 said:

i hope Windows 2000 will running this also, i hope an person here can specified the lacks of acpi.sys compared to XP modified version one to talk with blackwingcat to patch it .

I am pretty sure I tried Windows 2000's modded ACPI driver made by BlackWingCat (he only made one as far as I know), and it didn't work on any machine I tried it on. I tried XP's ACPI drivers (integrated it just as I did into the XP ISOs, and I got an "ACPI.sys is corrupted." error when the initial files are loading. Also they should backport Microsoft's xHCI Root Hub and the KMDF 1.11. Also NVMe etc. It would be great !!!!!

On 2/25/2023 at 11:07 PM, TheFighterJetDude said:

I am pretty sure I tried Windows 2000's modded ACPI driver made by BlackWingCat (he only made one as far as I know), and it didn't work on any machine I tried it on. I tried XP's ACPI drivers (integrated it just as I did into the XP ISOs, and I got an "ACPI.sys is corrupted." error when the initial files are loading. Also they should backport Microsoft's xHCI Root Hub and the KMDF 1.11. Also NVMe etc. It would be great !!!!!

Yes, if there is the will to do this then this is possible and it would be great. Windows 2000 is the only classic system capable of this.

10 minutes ago, TheFighterJetDude said:

Nt does not support ACPI which is fine

Windows 2000 can because in kernel base driver there are few lacks compare to XP, but NT4 it has many and many lacks to support this , there is structs should be added to kernel base driver , i think the kmdf 1.11 and nvme , xHCI Root Hub "ntoskrnl extender" can backport to 2000 because no acpi.sys modification required to do this but maybe few some hacks or code of ntoskrnl extender modification , i think @Andalu and @Damnation agree with me on this point.

The Windows XP ACPI 2.0 driver should definitely be backported to 2000. We all know that Windows XP and later can run fine on computers with InsydeH2O BIOS, but Windows 2000 does not. If one tries to run setup on such as BIOS (Included with such computers like Acer Aspire E1-531), even with blackwingcat's modded ACPI.sys, setup freezes at "Setup is starting Windows 2000". The only way around this is to press F5 at the F6 screen and choose Standard PC. It allows the installation to continue, BUT, upon finish, it will think you have a Floppy Drive, but the driver will Code 10, blackwingcat's modded Qualcom Atheros AR5B125, etc driver installs, but none of the WiFi connection managers (Boingo, Atheros Connection Manager) detect the card, saying it is off with no way to turn it on (not even by the [FN] F3 Wireless keyboard switch on the aforementioned laptop). I put this card into my Dell Latitude E6400, where W2K runs perfectly with ACPI, and it it detected by Atheros Connection Manager, although I can't do much as I get a DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL BSOD after logging in (deleting the WiFi driver solved it).

blackwingcat's modded Sandy Bridge graphics do not work without ACPI, as I'm sure other devices. The devices that I did get working on the E1-531 are: Realtek Audio, Broadcom Ethernet (Thanks blackwingcat), the VESA display driver, and even ALPS Touchpad (although I get no mouse input after I restart, forcing me to uninstall. ACPI issue suspected).

I would love nothing more than working ACPI on the Aspire E1-531 as not a lot of things work without it. And yes, I've tried switching to ACPI after installing bwc's extended kernel and core, but this produces an INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE 7B BSOD. So, for now, until we can get ACPI working with InsydeH2O BIOS, I would recommend a computer with a different BIOS, such as Phoenix, AmericanMegaTrends, Dell branded BIOS (While the Latitude E6530 is a great 2000 compatible machine, you will not get sound as it comes with IDT audio, which has no 2000 support whatsoever, requiring an externel Realtek soundcard), etc, etc.

18 hours ago, Jakob99 said:

The Windows XP ACPI 2.0 driver should definitely be backported to 2000. We all know that Windows XP and later can run fine on computers with InsydeH2O BIOS, but Windows 2000 does not. If one tries to run setup on such as BIOS (Included with such computers like Acer Aspire E1-531), even with blackwingcat's modded ACPI.sys, setup freezes at "Setup is starting Windows 2000". The only way around this is to press F5 at the F6 screen and choose Standard PC. It allows the installation to continue, BUT, upon finish, it will think you have a Floppy Drive, but the driver will Code 10, blackwingcat's modded Qualcom Atheros AR5B125, etc driver installs, but none of the WiFi connection managers (Boingo, Atheros Connection Manager) detect the card, saying it is off with no way to turn it on (not even by the [FN] F3 Wireless keyboard switch on the aforementioned laptop). I put this card into my Dell Latitude E6400, where W2K runs perfectly with ACPI, and it it detected by Atheros Connection Manager, although I can't do much as I get a DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL BSOD after logging in (deleting the WiFi driver solved it).

blackwingcat's modded Sandy Bridge graphics do not work without ACPI, as I'm sure other devices. The devices that I did get working on the E1-531 are: Realtek Audio, Broadcom Ethernet (Thanks blackwingcat), the VESA display driver, and even ALPS Touchpad (although I get no mouse input after I restart, forcing me to uninstall. ACPI issue suspected).

I would love nothing more than working ACPI on the Aspire E1-531 as not a lot of things work without it. And yes, I've tried switching to ACPI after installing bwc's extended kernel and core, but this produces an INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE 7B BSOD. So, for now, until we can get ACPI working with InsydeH2O BIOS, I would recommend a computer with a different BIOS, such as Phoenix, AmericanMegaTrends, Dell branded BIOS (While the Latitude E6530 is a great 2000 compatible machine, you will not get sound as it comes with IDT audio, which has no 2000 support whatsoever, requiring an externel Realtek soundcard), etc, etc.

I think InsydeH2O support Windows 2000 , but there is problem maybe with uefi , you can ask blackwingcat 

On 2/28/2023 at 5:58 PM, WinWord2000 said:

Windows 2000 can because in kernel base driver there are few lacks compare to XP, but NT4 it has many and many lacks to support this , there is structs should be added to kernel base driver , i think the kmdf 1.11 and nvme , xHCI Root Hub "ntoskrnl extender" can backport to 2000 because no acpi.sys modification required to do this but maybe few some hacks or code of ntoskrnl extender modification , i think @Andalu and @Damnation agree with me on this point.

The solution is not impossible as jakob99 mean ,but this required acpi.sys source code for win2000, or very very hard binary patching, the only solution is to wait maybe the code will leaked . and i hope that windows xp sp 2 or 3 code will leaked also this will be great to develop windows 2000.

Edited by windows2

7 hours ago, windows2 said:

I think InsydeH2O support Windows 2000 , but there is problem maybe with uefi , you can ask blackwingcat 

I'll tag @blackwingcat and see if he has a solution to getting Windows 2000 on InsydeH2O BIOS with ACPI.