Cannot move the pagefile to another drive

Comos

Hi,

I recently added a second drive to move the pagefile there,however every setting that I try, the pagefile remains on C: , even if I change the pagefile size on C:, after reboot the size remain the same.

When I check the registry settings, there it's set how it suppose to be, but seems Windows is doing whatever it wants.

Did somebody experienced something similar?

After changing the setting for the C: drive, make sure to click the "Set" button. 

Also, it won't hurt to leave a small pagefile in C:, i have mine fixed to 128MB, while there is a big pagefile on another drive. 

Move it to the very end of the partition (Defraggler does it easily) in another OS.

On 11/27/2022 at 6:20 PM, RainyShadow said:

After changing the setting for the C: drive, make sure to click the "Set" button. 

Also, it won't hurt to leave a small pagefile in C:, i have mine fixed to 128MB, while there is a big pagefile on another drive. 

Move it to the very end of the partition (Defraggler does it easily) in another OS.

I have made a smaller one on C: and a bigger one on D:, but no effect after reboot.I'll try to boot to miniXP, delete it manually and restart, how it will be created again.

Is the drive on a different input than C? If the drive needs drivers to be visible by windows windows may not have access to it when it tries to write it on bootup. It was an issue i had with ramdrive. 8 out of 10 bootups would work properly but sometimes it wouldnt load the dlls quick enough and then reverted back to C.

On 12/5/2022 at 6:19 AM, reboot12 said:

@Comos

I used to have a dilemma with a pagefile. When I had 1GB of RAM, I set 320MB. Now when I have 4GB or 8GB RAM, I turn off the pagefile completely.

I have 8 GB of RAM, however less than half is available to XP since is 32bit as usual.I would let the pagefile small as possible atleast for creatng the dumps.

My case is whatever change I made to my settings it looks like it's stuck on automatic.

1 hour ago, Comos said:

I have 8 GB of RAM, however less than half is available to XP since is 32bit as usual.I would let the pagefile small as possible atleast for creatng the dumps.

I forgot that I use WinXP 64-bit :)

On 12/5/2022 at 7:30 AM, MikeyV said:

Is the drive on a different input than C? If the drive needs drivers to be visible by windows windows may not have access to it when it tries to write it on bootup. It was an issue i had with ramdrive. 8 out of 10 bootups would work properly but sometimes it wouldnt load the dlls quick enough and then reverted back to C.

The drive is on D: , where I want to put the pagefile.In reality it's a miniPCI to uSD which I have converted to fixed drive.Could be, that the drivers are not loaded fast enough, so it sticks to C:

4 hours ago, Comos said:

My case is whatever change I made to my settings it looks like it's stuck on automatic.

Why not use PAE patcher to allow all 8GB?

On 12/11/2022 at 3:46 PM, George King said:

Why not use PAE patcher to allow all 8GB?

There are issues with certain drivers/programs that prone unstable as experienced, so not going that way atm.

On 12/11/2022 at 4:24 PM, jaclaz said:

Can you explain?

Maybe that is the issue ("wrong" type of device).

jaclaz

In my Lenovo W500 I have spare miniPCIex slot, which is normally used to the extra Wifi module or TurboCache memory module, however it's not a regular miniPCIex where you can plug mSATA,, it has a different pinout, where it also has USB2.0 lines.

So I get a miniPCIex card with 2 uSD slots which has a onboard ALCOR bridge chip.I had to patch the BIOS for whitelisting..Normally when it get's detected, installed, it's a regular removable USB,to make a fixed drive out of it I have used a Hitachi driver.

Now it behaves like a disk ,altough you can remove it via systray like example my USB3.0/mSATA disks,that I use.Probably that you can still remove it, XP refuse to create a pagefile there.

@Comos

As an alternative to the Hitachi microdrive you could try Diskmod. The link is this one:
http://reboot.pro/topic/9461-page-file-in-usb-hard-disk/?hl=diskmod

although it seems unreachable at the moment.

The initial page of the topic can be viewed here:
https://web.archive.org/web/20210624032336/http://reboot.pro/topic/9461-page-file-in-usb-hard-disk/?hl=diskmod

The download also does not seem to be working. However, the direct download link is here:
hXXp://www.techportal.it/dl/diskmod.zip

@Comos

Then that is likely the issue.

The Hitachi microdrive filter is (was) specifically made at the time for CF cards/Microdrives and only "flipped" the "removable" bit, as Andalu suggested, the DiskMod is a newer (and more complete/more featured) filter driver that can "flip" *something else* and make the (queer) drive suitable to host the pagefile.

jaclaz